What would be your dream kung-fu movie?

CrazyFrog

I'm talking as specific as you want to get (or not). Actors (dead or alive), directors, action choreographers, locations, periods, etc. And then match-ups: who vs. who, what styles, etc.

It's a bit much but I think back to the days when I watched Kung Fu Theater on Saturday afternoons and the resulting hijinks afterwards with my friends and I playing out roles. But now that most of us are more "mature", what do you think would be a movie that you would like to see, that you could bring your vision to the screen?

An example:

Title- Approaching Storm

Period- modern day

Location(s- South China Sea (Hainan, Phillipines, Vietnam)

Plot- Pirates cruising the sea have plundered many local fishing boats but when one raid goes awry, they get more than they bargain for when a fisherman's son witnesses his family murdered and seeks revenge.

Actors: Jacky Wu Jing as Fiserman's son, Sammo as Fisherman, Tony Jaa as Thai fisherman buddy, Tony Leung as Singapore police official, Hwang Jang Lee as pirate lord, Fung Hark On as pirate, Chan Sing as pirate, etc.

Match-ups: Jacky Wu Jing vs. Hwang Jang Lee on a pirate vessel, Tony Jaa vs Fung Hark On in seedy Vietmanese port bar, etc.

Honestly, I have about a dozen semi-formed ideas in my head at any given time with kung fu movies that could be done. What are some of yours?

• Like 1

I wrote a script on paper two years ago (planning to type it in the near future) called A.C.U., a cross between Law and Order and S.P.L..

Plot: A truce between the Triads, Yakuza, and Korean Mafia that began seven years in New York's Chinatown becomes broken when a prostitute is murdered and a band of police officers of diverse cultures are involved as well.

Dream Cast: Donnie Yen as Sgt. Chan, Jay Hernandez or Freddie Prinze Jr. as Det. Martinez; Hikaru Utada or Aya Ueto as Sgt. Nakagawa; John Cho as Det. Hwang (he's in a wheelchair but a marksman); Sonny Chiba as Yakuza Boss; Kane Kosugi as Boss' son; Gackt as Yakuza enforcer; Francis Ng as Triad Head; Jang Dong-Gun as Korean Mafia boss; Song Kang-Ho as KM enforcer; Dan Chupong as Phanom, a Thai fighter who fights in an underground ring run by the KM.

Director? Benny Chan or even Stephen Fung (this would be a good challenging film for him)

TheGrimReaper

My idea is called "Three brothers on the way to Heaven" starring Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Tony Jaa, Huang Jang Lee, Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Yu Ronguang, Maggie Chung, Michelle Yeoh, Nicolas Tse, Dick Wai, Mars, Ken Low, Cynthia Rotrock, Richard Norton and many more...

Plot: The Three Brothers (Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung & Yuen Biao) die on different ocassions (J.C. while preparing for a stunt, S.H. directing a drama in which the other brothers are involved, Y.B. choreographing a fight for J.C.) and they were taken to Hell by mistake of the Heaven and Hell Department :)

In Hell they encounter most of their nemesis on screen and they have to fight their way to the Gates of Heaven where the Keykeeper is waiting for them surrounded by a gang of viscious Shaolin monks, eventually they manage to overcome all obstacles in their way and once they arrive in Heaven they have been granted a choice whether they would like to return and continue their lives or stay in Heaven, and at the end it all appears that all three brothers were having the same dream while resting on location of their new movie together.

Sounds very corny and childish, but what I'm looking for is the fight scenes :)

Dreamcast: J.C., S.H. & Y.B. playing themselves, Jet Li as the Keykeeper (all three are fighting against him), Michelle Yeoh as the Divine Spirit which shows them the right path between Heaven & Hell, Tony Jaa as the Guard of Buddha's garden, and numerous fights and rematch between J.C. & Huang Jang Lee, Sammo Hung & Jackie Chan vs. Donnie Yen & Ken Low, Yuen Biao vs. Dick Wei & Cynthia Rotrock, Jackie Chan vs. Yu Ronguang & Richard Norton, Yuen Biao & Jackie Chan vs Benny "The Jet" Urquidez, Sammo Hung vs. Lau Kar Wing (old school rematch), Yuen Biao vs Tony Jaa, and many more different combinations :)

Fight choreographers: Lau Kar Leung, Donnie Yen, Yuen Woo Ping, Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Corey Yuen, Yuen Shun Yi

Directors: The same as above

Probably a lot of people will laugh at this idea, but it is fun nevertheless :)

Drunken Monk

Fight choreographers: Lau Kar Leung, Donnie Yen, Yuen Woo Ping, Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Corey Yuen, Yuen Shun Yi

Directors: The same as above

And I wonder how many would leave due to "creative differences?"

• Haha 1

TheGrimReaper

@Drunken Monk: Well it is a "dream" MA movie right? The best way (I think) is to keep the action choreographers doing different fights on a different sets :) and probably each will direct the piece of his own :) Well, it is not based on any reality facts afterall it is a concept which is not necessarily to be "operational" :)

@Endsang: maybe the way to see if Tony Jaa really fits (or not) in Chinese movie is to put him in one :)

All the best

Morgoth Bauglir

My dream movie would be seeing my 2 favorite fighters Chang Shan and Hwang Jang Lee square off. I don't care who directs it. I would love to see them fight eachother in a modern day movie. Both proved themselves to be more than capable in moderns and classics. It would be the ultimate northen kicks vs southern fists movie. Chang Shan would have to win though!

My thoughts:

Title: An Enemy Of Many Shadows (tentative)/The Silent Fate

Director: Wilson Yip

Producers: Cheung Shing-Sheung & Wilson Yip

Writers: Szeto Kam-Yuen, Wilson Yip & Jack Ng

Music Composers: Comfort Chan, TaQ & Ken Chan

Action Directors: Donnie Yen, Kenji Tanigaki, Yan Hua, John Salvitti, Yuji Shimomura, Yu Kang & So Tung

Cast: Donnie Yen, Fan Siu-Wong, Simon Yam, Lau Ching Wan, Chiu Man Cheuk, Collin Chou, Xing Yu, Lam Suet, Vicky Zhao Wei & Shu Qi

Plot: 2 triad families, the Yi's (led by Simon Yam) and the Black Eagles (led by Lau Ching Wan), have come to an agreement to make business in the next 5-10 years to come due to each others abilities to earn big cash, handle hot situations within the underworld, show huge respect to each other and so on. But one day after a successful transaction between the big gangs, they find out that something is not right leading up to them suspecting each other for betrayal. As they go along with more deals, they find out all the more of these faults in them leading up to a falling-out between them. Despite that the gangs are not sure who's behind this but they still strongly suspect each other. But a week later, when each of the gangs discover that some of their men have been murdered, they're now convinced that they are in the middle of a big war with each other. But without proof and still slightly uncertain of the possible enemy, the respective gangs secretly send out their best hitmen, Tiger (Donnie Yen) and Shing (Fan Siu Wong), to find out everything they can find whilst finding each other at high risks fighting for life and death as they go along their missions. Meanwhile, the cops join in the gang war, having been following every move made by the respective gangs, and sends out Inspector Po (Collin Chou) to find out what the gangs are up to and who's been doing these big screw-ups.

Excellent guys....

Another one-

Title- The Warden or The Hunt

Location-Forest somewhere in a province of China (Jiangxi or Yunnan)

Period-Ming or Qing dynasty

Director- Lau Kar Leung

ACs-One of the Lau brothers, Sammo, or any of the Yuens

Plot-

In one of the Emperor's game parks, a warden lives a content if not altogether peaceful life managing the forest. When mass slaughter of animals starts occurring, however, his investigations lead him into a dark web of treachery. When the tables turn on the warden and he is the hunted, he falls back on his unique mix of Southern Fist styles and animal techniques learned over the years. When the truth becomes apparent, local families come to his aid.

Actors: Leung Kar Yan (with beard of course!)as the warden, Hsaio Ho as warden's assistant, Gordon Liu as provincial governor (or equivalent), Dean Shek as Emperor's herald, and all the Venoms as a local farming family who come to the warden's aid. Bad guys to be determined....

Title: HKU 71 (Hong Kong Underground 71) (tentative)/Glorious Fighting Days

Director: Wilson Yip

Producers: Cheung Shing-Sheung & Wilson Yip

Writers: Szeto Kam-Yuen, Wilson Yip & Jack Ng

Music Composers: Comfort Chan

Action Directors: Donnie Yen, Donnie Yen Stunt Team & Sammo Hung

Cast: Donnie Yen, Xing Yu, Anthony Wong, Lam Suet, Gordon Lam, Sammo Hung, Collin Chou, Kenji Tanigaki, Yu Kang & Chiu Man Cheuk

Plot: Year 1971... A time when Hong Kong was booming economically... and also an important time when the underworld was growing and becoming more and more dominant; with lots of underground fighting tournaments, streets fights taking place in some of the most dangerous area codes in the region, drug and weapons dealings, assassinations and so on. This was a time when some of the most reputated fighters could gather up in these illegal tournaments and show what they were really made of. This is the story of fighters and the strengths they possessed, how they rose to the top, how many enemies they produced, what weaknesses they had and what made them go down from the top...

Plot: Year 1971... A time when Hong Kong was booming economically... and also an important time when the underworld was growing and becoming more and more dominant; with lots of underground fighting tournaments, streets fights taking place in some of the most dangerous area codes in the region, drug and weapons dealings, assassinations and so on. This was a time when some of the most reputated fighters could gather up in these illegal tournaments show what they were really made. This is the story of fighters and the strengths they possessed, how they rose to the top, how many enemies they produced, what weaknesses they had and what made them go down from the top...

Will this have acid flashbacks, bell bottoms, and Jimi Hendrix?!

Seriously, this sounds like a good idea. Although there have been a lot of movies focusing on the underground fighting scene, Hong Kong in 1971 would make sense (due to all the talent there, money, HK's position as a cultural crossroads).

Another rule of thumb in the 70's : the bigger the ego, the bigger the flare collar!

Man, that's a fascinating interview! Chan Wai Man is the real deal! Those stories sound so interesting... Bolo Yeung swam over to Hong kong from China?!? Holy sh.....!

OK, another. I'll promise to stop bumping my own thread....

Title- Hapa or Kapakahi

Location- Oahu, Hawaii; Hong Kong or Nanchang

Director- Sammo or Jackie, maybe even Donnie Yen

AC- hmmmm. Someone good with kids and adult action- help with this one?

Plot- A Hung Gar/Wing Chun master (Chen) moves to Hawai'i to be close to his sons and to see what America is like. He decides to open a school to keep busy but is dismayed by the lack of discipline he sees in his new students. Frustrated, he eventually focuses on one student, Kai, who is a local boy already in trouble with the law. Taking a shine to him, Chen attempts to personally guide him by taking him in as an adopted son. This causes friction within Chen's own family and Kai can't decide to keep hanging with his outlaw buddies or stick with his perpetually hard to please sifu.

Actors- Chen: someone with gravity- Chan Sing or a Ti Lung, Kai- someone suitably ethnically mixed and young, like Mark Dacascos 20 years ago, Chen's sons: Andy Lau and maybe Yuen Biao.

Imagine you could pick a cast and locations for a dream kung fu movie. Who would you choose, anyone from any period in martial art movie history.

I would be interested to see who people would pick in each catergory. (Just fill it in, you know you want to.)

Geekish I know, but mine would go a little bit like this:

Leading role: Tony Jaa

Supporting role (sidekick): Jackie Conn (The guy with the withered legs in Crippled Masters)

Lead villain: Hwang Jang Lee

Lead henchman: Bolo Yeung

Leading Lady: Angela Mao

Special cameo appearance: Chuck Norris

Main locations: Hong Kong, Rio slums

Weapons on show: Bit of nunchaku usage in the middle somewhere.

jiujitsu77

that would be an old school/newschool bad ass homage kinda thing.

but if it was in the rio slums, would you be adverse to having jiujitsu guys in it?

well norris has his black belt from the machados so im sure they would pop up. he uses them alot

reason108

My dream movie would feature Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung and myslef. Oh wait, you said kung fu movie. Nevermind.

(ha)

I think that my dream kung fu film would involve Jackie Chan when he was in his late 20s/early 30s. No comedy. The movie would be like a combination of Forbidden Kingdom meets Bride with White Hair and ZU:Warriors from the Magic Mountain. The movie would have to be made with a Hollywood budget with the digital effects of the modern era. The end would have at least a 20 minute fight scene like the old school. But, maybe a minute or so of it would include lasers and exploding stuff. Probably Michelle Yeoh as the leading lady or Maggie Cheung. ha. Maybe throw in some Bai Ling too. Just because. As far as the main villain, I have no idea. Maybe Sammo. Of course Sammo and Jackie could both direct the end fight sequence. Tough and grity though, the Sammo way. Maybe bring aboard Lau kar Leung to do some of the fight choreography for different parts of the film. Maybe have the movie show some actual styles like Hung Gar and Wing Chun with a little wire-fu. We could have young Jackie vs young Tony Ja. I think 2hrs total for the film. DVD gets an additional 20 minutes of fighting. And, of course, Michelle Yeoh falls in love with me and we live happily ever after. :angel:

Guest ekisha

Leading man:Robin Shou who must survive,because both cops and triads are looking after him.

Evil but righteous triad head:Johnny Wang

Evil guys:Ben Lam,Bruce Tong,Danny Chow

Policemen:Parkman Wong(as head) Milkyway's stars Lam Suet,Maggie Siu and Hui Siu Hung.

Supporting stars:Frankie Chan,Choi Wang,Leung Kar Yan,Simon Lui

Then lots of cameos what made 80's movies fun to watch.

Action director:Yuen Biao

Main location:TST

Screenplay and director:no one else but Johnny To

Release date:this July

________

DOES IOLITE VAPORIZER COME WITH BUTANE

Heroes of the Rising Sun

Story: Princess Yang Guifei (Frieda Hu Meng-Yuan) did not die, but ordered one of her two shadows to commit suicide in front of Tang soldiers in her place. Her closest bodyguards and her surviving shadow flee to Japan, where they set up shop in Nara. She quickly becomes the concubines of one of the Daimyos in the city, eventually engineering the death of her lord's wife through treacherous means. She becomes the Lord's wife and starts purging the household with her bodyguards and her shadow, who possesses ninja-like abilities. Luckily for her, she has the support of the Empress Shôtoku and her monk advisor, Dôkyô.

However, the family of the daimyo's deceased wife has a female warrior (Rina Takeda) in their employ. They send her undercover to investigate the circumstances of the previous mistress. Almost blowing her cover is one of Princess Yang's Japanese bodyguards (Kiyou Shimizu). However, when Princess Yang sends her shadow to eliminate Kiyou, she is rescued by Rina. They two have to fight off attacks from spies as Rina nurses Kiyou back to health. Once Kiyou is better, the two team up to storm Princess Yang's pagoda, which is protected by her Chinese bodyguards, each of them a master of a specific Chinese weapon or technique. Rina and Kiyou decide to fight fire with fire, all the way up to the top, where Yang and her shadow are waiting....

Cast: Rina Takeda, Kiyou Shimizu, Frieda Hu Meng-Yuan

Director: Ronnie Yu

Action Director: Yuji Shimomura, Kenji Tanigaki, Yan Hua, Yu Kang

• Like 1

Mine would be a remake of One Armed Boxer vs Flying Guillotine but 100x bloodier and more violent. I would preclude the use of CG and rely on practical and mechanical effects but make the eponymous weapon more visually elaborate and more menacing. Non-stop onscreen carnage with a multitude of decapitations, eviscerated bodies & limbs, disembowelments & eye enucleations.

As far as cast, I would like Eddie Peng as Wang Yu, Peter Ho as the killer blind monk, Dilraba Dilmurat in the Doris Lung Chun Erh role, Buakaw as the Thai fighter, the Great Kali as the Indian Yogi & Tak Sakaguchi as Yakuma.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Mine would be a remake of One Armed Boxer vs Flying Guillotine but 100x bloodier and more violent. I would preclude the use of CG and rely on practical and mechanical effects but make the eponymous weapon more visually elaborate and more menacing. Non-stop onscreen carnage with a multitude of decapitations, eviscerated bodies & limbs, disembowelments & eye enucleations.

Would you give the Wang Yu character more to do in the first two acts than just observe the tournament?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

Yes, it wouldn't be an exact remake as I would modify the story to fit the narrative of Wang Yu losing his arm in his fight with the two Manchu killer priests (as told in flashback from the One Armed Boxer) & also Wang Yu's wife and young child would be slaughtered by Fung Sheng Wu Chi in revenge for the death of his two brothers.

I would also incorporate a training montage of Wang Yu using various techniques to defeat the flying guillotine weapon before he finally gets his "eureka" moment watching the bamboo cutter.

• Like 1

Phillabuster

Greetings everyone. I'm new to the website and I'm loving it. 

Here is my dream for the best kung-fu movie that would make millions in the theater.

Ok do you guys remember the movie The Warriors?

https://imgur.com/EjwpFRx

A band of brothers that ventured too far out from home and found themselves in a bad situation. Resulting in them trying to make their way back home. To do this, they have to pass by multiple gangs (civilizations) that do not welcome their passing and not only see them as hostile but an incentive to eliminate them from the equation all together. But some how, by the hand of God they make it back home. ... but not all of them.

This movie was inspired by the true story of the battle of Cunaxa in 401 BC. 10+ thousands of Greek mercenaries went too deep in Persian land and where basically f*cked. The only way home was to fight their way home. Against multiple clans with no mercy.

https://imgur.com/QIHcfaX

It happened in Persia and New York. Now we need to see this carnage in Asia.

• Like 2