Beardie does Jackie?

Koyuki

As I've mentioned before, I'm more interested in the acrobatic side of kung fu movies than the violence, so after discovering Wong Yat Lung in 'Kung Fu Kids: Break Away', I started looking for other movies he was in during his brief career (seven films in 1978-1980). Two of them have him as a street kid sidekick to Leung Kar Yan's student, learning some rare technique from an old master in 'Thundering Mantis' and 'Sleeping Fist'.

These two movies quickly reminded me of Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master" and "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow", not just from the 'learn strange style/beat bad guys' basic plot (or from Simon Yuen Siu Tin being the master in 'Fist'), but from Leung's movement in the training sequences. I was especially remembering the 'follow the footprints' scene in 'SITES' during 'Mantis'. I wouldn't have thought that a bigger guy like Leung would have been capable of some of those moves.

Did he often use that sort of style in his films? What are some more titles that feature him (or others) doing fluid acrobatics?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived