14 Blades (2010)

Milkyway

thanks for the post; when "Fire of Conscience" comes out ill pick up that along with all the recent releases, "Bodyguards & Assassins", "True Legend" etc

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
daisho2004

OK I got to finally watch this movie last night and I thought it was Excellent! Donnie Yen was in top form and he was Dieseled, you can see he had bulked up for this movie. The only thing is I could've done with a little less CGI Wire-fu. But the casting was excellent.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

liked it - the best thing for me was to see wu ma and specally shaw brothers legend chen kuan tai (coffin fight scenes with donnie yen) in this movie! great stuff!

I already own the German blu-ray of the movie but would still consider buying the new release since the video quality of the German release, which used the same master as the HK-disc, was rather bad with its obvious edge enhancement and filtering.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14654

I was beginning to think after Donnie Yen starting churning out film after film a few of em would get skipped in the U.S. I wasn't too interested in watching this film back when it first came out, but after seeing the US trailer and some clips this looks pretty good. This film comes out on bluray on September 2. Hopefully The Lost Bladesman will follow shortly.

Do you think they waited long enough to release this in the US?

I know right? Better late than never.....

One Armed Boxer
Do you think they waited long enough to release this in the US?

I know right? Better late than never.....

Ha ha, you guys basically said what everyone else was thinking, a theatrical release 4 years after the movie came out is a pretty strange gamble to take, I'd love to know the thinking behind it. It's not even riding on the coat tails of an internationally successful Yen movie like 'Ip Man', and to be honest I thought this already had a US release, it's one of my favorites from Yen's post-2010 output. Still, to echo Lionclaw's statement, better late than never.

I think a lot of people got this movie and Dragon (even more confusingly titled Wuxia) mixed up with their both yellow movie poster-art, I did. 

Not too much to say about this movie. Cool character design, maybe too much so, like when Jackie Chan had on the Jack Sparrow look as a goof in Chinese Zodiac.

One takeaway was the really picturesque indoor fight scenes displaying a foray of green hue to the atmosphere of the teahouse (I think it might of been). But just like the near over-design of the characters, these scenes also feel a bit too extraordinary in context. I suppose a problem is that despite the somewhat extravegant looking  protagonist and antagonist and couple jade-coloured teahouse fight scenes, the rest of the film doesnt match. Instead playing out unremarkably and much more typical in emotion, setting, and plot.

Archived