14 Blades (2010)

Milkyway

This was just ok. The story is standard betrayal-plot fare + minor love story so they can use Zhao Wei.

Action-wise, nothing really stayed with me after watching it. The titular gimmick is not very interesting at all. Donnie went through his motions, but there was no epic sword battle like you would expect. Of the two big bads, one is a model(?) chick, with a really CG-heavy special move, and the other is some really forgettable guy, so it wasn't really conducive to creating any really great extended fight scenes.

Check it out if you're bored, but it is definitely not worth a ridiculously-priced special edition DVD. If you recognize the director as the guy who did "Black Mask", don't expect anything nearly as good.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 Blades [Hong Kong Version]

14 Blades

V21281-D.jpg

Director: Daniel Lee

Staring: Donnie Yen, Zhao Wei, Wu Chun, Kate Tsu, Qi Yu Wu

Synopsis:

MalaTrained in clandestine combat from childhood, the Jinyiwei were masters of the 14 Blades. Above the law and with a license to kill, they devoted their lives and lethal prowess to the

service of the Emperor alone.

When the Imperial Court is taken over by evil eunuch JIA, the best of the Jinyiwei, QING LONG is assigned to steal a list identifying those still loyal to the Emperor. Unbeknownst to Qing

Long, the Jinyiwei have fallen under the control of Jia, and during the mission he’s betrayed and barely escapes with his life.

Now as the most wanted man in the land Qing Long must seek out and rally the loyalists to rise against Jia and restore the Emperor to power.

In his way are the deadliest assassins in the land, his former brethren, the Jinyiwei...

錦衣衛

錦衣衛

V21281-D.jpg

Director: 李仁港

Staring: 甄子丹, 趙薇, 吳尊, 徐子珊, 戚玉武

Synopsis:

明朝的秘密特工組織錦衣衛,效忠皇帝,佈下天羅地網,滴水不進,明察暗訪,追捕異已,人心自危,惶恐終日。

錦衣衛青龍,人如其刀,無敵不破,但也如刀,一切聽命於人。奉命盜取效忠天子的忠臣名單,晴天霹靂,驚悉叛國陰謀,原來太監賈精忠把持朝政,竟與錦衣衛之首期比為奸,憑青龍盜得的名單誅殺忠

臣,勾結異族,欲圖中原。

飛鳥盡,良弓藏,青龍效忠錦衣衛,一夜之間,反被同門追殺滅口,他這錦衣衛正陷於錦衣衛佈下的天羅地網之中,重重諜網,求生無路,欲死無門

原來驚破的不單是重重的陰謀,還有人性不為人知的一面.

for more infomation,pls review www.sensasian.com

Good film, Action is well choreographed with weapons mainly.

The story was well written although the chemestry between Donnie Yen's Character and Zhao Wei's is a bit flat. One of the best this year, better than Mulan and just as good as Bodyguards and Assassins.

HONG KONG LEGENDS OOP DVDS HERE

I'll probably still import this one on Blu-Ray when it comes out. As long as it's better than Painted Skin I'll be happy.

Watched last night... well i have to say that the movie is good but not excellent, apart from the bad cgi (and the snake matrix effect) the movie doesn't feel that much to me.. dunno why but it didnt impressed me a lot. The brief action scene with Wu Ma was a pretty good tribute to him, as well as the other actions scenes; Donnie Yen is good as always BUT i do still like him better in other genres...yes i mean movies like Flashpoint/Spl/IpMan/Tiger Cage/Iron Monkey.. here our proud pirate ( c'on...) just don't fill in...

Vicky Zhao was pretty good though, very Dragon Inn's Maggie Cheung like.. the same for Kate Tsui Tse Shan whose performance was excellent (except her "special move").

Overall 6.5-7/10

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I too saw this last night but did not finish it as I got tired VERY quickly of the ASHES IN TIME action styling choreography. Only a few times did it come close to what I was hoping to see.

I liked the grit of the movie, the scenery, the town scenes, evrything except the action.

Also liked seeing Wu Ma plus the guy with the eye patch another one of our kung fu movie heroes from the past His name slips me.

One thing did bemuse me.

When they were in the forest and this long haired baddy popped up I new instantly who it was and to me it was the high lite of the movie when Chen Quan Ti made his appearance. It was a joy just seeing him even if ONCE again the fighting was that blurry crap.

WTF why do they choose this method of choreography?

So all in all a great disappointment.

GD Y-Y

Also liked seeing Wu Ma plus the guy with the eye patch another one of our kung fu movie heroes from the past His name slips me.

Fung Hak-On.

WTF why do they choose this method of choreography?

The style you're talking about is akin to other movies from the director (it's his style). But even here, there's some major changes in how the action is shot. Still some evident spots of fast editing but there quite a handful of long takes plus the camerawork worked in such ways it made the fights pretty intense and involving.

I loved it, glad it turned out much better than The Empress & the Warriors and Painted Skin. Along with the action, everything felt different and refreshing for being a wuxia movie.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Fung Hak-On thanks that's him.

Yes I did like some of the visually intense fights. I guess I am still old school style inwhat I want in my kung fu movies..

As I said except for the fights I loved the ambiance the movie displayed.

I thought the director did a great job in this department.

GD Y-Y

I loved it, glad it turned out much better than The Empress & the Warriors and Painted Skin. Along with the action, everything felt different and refreshing for being a wuxia movie.

well The Empress & was just aweful... i watched it during an asian film festival here in Italy, the movie was so shitty that i don't dare to buy neither the vcd or the dvd..

about painted skin, i have to admit i really liked it, more for the story/choreography/feeling than the action scenes themself.

Who was the prisoner that knocked over the pillar in one of the beginning fights?

The first or the second prisoner?

Ah! I knew I should have been able to ID him .:nerd: It was hard for me to match him up with his role in Ip Man because he sounds a lot less like Kermit The Frog when he's yelling and not being dubbed in Mandarin.

Finally watched this film. I was very happy with the movie overall, with one exception... The female antagonist-Tuo Tuo, made me sick. I understand they wanted to make her formidible but SHEESH! She was mightier than Asia: The Invincible! Very unbelievable, especially after establishing Yen's character, and who he was in the story... I guess if he were sent to assassinate her he'd have to use his 14TH Blade.

I do not enjoy the women beating men to a pulp in a most ridiculous fashion, especially when the men character's have been shown to be darned near invincible. You lose me at that point. Sort of like in the film when a hero, under a fusalage of bullets comes away unscathed, only to deliver his shots on the dime.

... In the words of Brandon Lee, in an interview: "... Bull$***!"

I do respect Donnie Yen's achievements and of course I'm interested to see his new work, but I was particularly interested in this film because it had a appearance by Chen Kuan Tai, so i'll see it at some point even on a cheap VCD, but thanks for the reviews

yes, Chen Kuan-Tai had a very good fight w/ Donnie, the way he made his appearance was really cool! overall, 14 Blades exceeded my expectations, and I already thought it would be good! out of Donnie's recent films, it is def. better than either An Empress and the Warriors or Painted Skin, but not as good as Ip Man and Bodyguards and Assassins. well worth a purchase though!!

I enjoyed this a lot. In the last few months a lot of good movies came out like 14 Blades, Ip Man 2, True Legend, Bodyguards & Assassins etc etc, What else is in the making? I haven't really heard of anything else?

don't forget Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen! that comes out in October, I think it's shaping up to be quite good. It looks a bit different, but you can't blame them for not simply retreading Fist of Fury again. either Gordon Chan or Andrew Lau stated in an interview though, that it would have flashbacks to moments from FOF, including a dojo scene. and with Donnie doing the action and starring, it will be a must see no doubt! other than that, I'd keep an eye out for Tsui Hark's upcoming film "Detective Dee" with Andy Lau in the lead. Sammo Hung has done the action for that one, so it should be great!

I enjoyed it much more than I expected. The production values were quite good (CGI not quite as good as in Storm Warriors) and love it or hate it, the bits of steampunk were well-integrated into the film.

Someone upthread mentioned the Ashes of Time-like filming of the fight sequences; that's fair enough.

The strongest feeling I got was that this was like an updated Chu Yuan Gu Long movie minus a lot of scheming and double-crossing. But it's probably more accurate to say it's like an early 1990's wuxia in feel.

I'm surprised they made Kate Tsui look so ugly, with her sprayed-on unibrow and the like.

Could have done with less Donnie Yen posing and closeups.

It's a must-see for wuxia fans, IMO.

finally got the chance to watch this movie and all I gotta say is..another epic donnie yen movie..love it!!

The CGI was bad but I'v seen worse..there were a couple of scenes that dragged a little.

I loved the running scene through the market

nectarsis

Just finished this. I LOVED Donnie Yen..actually most of the cast. As many have stated not only is the CGI more than a bit meh (hated the town models) it was also overdone. I had high hopes for this picture, and they were more than met. :xd:

Archived