14 Blades (2010)

Milkyway

Donnie Yen 14 Blades Interview: Looking Forward to Working with Tony Jaa

What makes Green Dragon in 14 Blades different?

Donnie Yen: The character Green Dragon is something I've never tried before, for this person is neither good nor evil. I have done two similar roles before, one was Once Upon a Time in China, but it wasn't fully fleshed out. Initially, I didn't have confidence to bring out something fresh in this character, but director Daniel Lee told me to approach it from a villainous angle, then I started getting a hang of it. Personally, I'm completely different from Green Dragon, so I find this character very novel, for it's the exact opposite of my real life.

Based on what you've said, it seems that you're spending more time on acting than action?

Donnie Yen: You can say that, I'm spending more "kungfu" on this area. I'm most satisfied with Bodyguards and Assassins, its emotional scenes are more intricate than Ip Man, and has more depth. At first, I was worried that I might not be able to handle the role as a gambler well, I was pondering if I should accept the film. Actually, my first offer was the beggar, but I insisted on turning it down, or I'd be the best fighter, nothing new. Subsequently, Peter Chan thought of giving me the role of the rickshaw puller, if I did that role, it would definitely be very different from what you saw. But, eventually, Peter Chan helped me rewrote this gambler character for me. My acting will be more mature, in particular, in Ip man 2 and Legend of Chen Zhen.

You've directed a few films before, would you consider pursuing this path?

Donnie Yen: I have certainly thought of directing, but not right now, for now, I'm focusing on raising my acting skills even farther. When I have no more drive as an actor, I'd stop acting and become a director, whether it's a film I'm in or direct, I hope to leave behind sweet memories.

Press conferences for 14 Blades and Yuen Wo Ping's True Legend are being held on the same day, the media will inevitably be comparing these two films.

Donnie Yen: I don't think 14 Blades' rival is True Legend, our opponents are all films released in the same period. Besides, 14 Blades and True Legend belong to different genre, one is wuxia, the other is kungfu, it's like comparing apples and oranges. It'd be more fitting to compare it with Ip Man 2 or Legend of Chen Zhen.

14 Blades is a film with excellent action, and its drama is pretty decent. Wuxia films have been around for decades, and have become part of many people's lives, and the audiences have certain demands. I have been filming for over 2 decades, encountering countless scenes, what I'm after nowadays is not outstanding action, for that is already a part of my film. I hope everyone would support our own Chinese films, can't let Avatar be the sole blockbuster.

Yuen Wo Ping was your mentor, what do you think of the two movies clashing in the theatres?

Donnie Yen: Without Yuen Wo Ping's induction, I wouldn't have entered the industry. It's been 27 years, when I was 19, Yuen Wo Ping brought me into this trade, but we went our own ways more than 10 years ago. I'm eternally grateful to and respectful of him. I would still support his films if there's a chance, and learn from him.

What are your plans for this year?

Donnie Yen: There are a few works in the pipeline, very tightly packed. In March, I'll be doing Guan Yun Chang, in summer, might be working with director Peter Chan again. There are many film offers towards the end of the year, but I haven't made up my mind, 7 to 8 scripts, it's impossible for me to do all of them, I'd choose 2, 3 that gives me ample room to develop.

Heard that you're collaborating with Tony Jaa and there would have a decisive showdown?

Donnie Yen: Indeed, there's such a plan, director Stanley Tong and Raymond Wong are helping me invite Tony Jaa, I hope they'll succeed, but can't divulge the details.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/773-Donnie-Yen-14-Blades-Interview-Looking-Forward-to-Working-with-Tony-Jaa.html

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 Blades

Sharp as a knife

RATING: 3.5/5

SINGAPORE : Everyone knows that the ingredients in making the perfect wuxia movie for today's insatiable audiences is made up of three things: Impeccable fight scenes; a multi-faceted story that blends fantastical fiction with historical fact; and Donnie Yen.

Who else can better perform superhuman feats, get seriously injured and yet still fight till the end in a jiang hu (martial arts) world than the broody hot-bod stuntman-turned-actor? Cleverly, director Daniel Lee ("Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon") enlists the help of Yen (fresh from his success with "Ip Man" and "Bodyguards And Assassins") with "14 Blades".

Set in Ming Dynasty China, it tells the story of the jingyi wei (literally meaning brocade-clad guard), the elite Imperial guards/assassins.

Recruited from the street and trained in clandestine combat, these guards devote their entire lives to the service of the Emperor.

Of course, there has to be an evil eunuch plotting to seize power. So, it's up to Imperial Guards Qing Long (Yen) and Xuanwu (Qi Yu Wu) to steal a list identifying people still loyal to the throne. But Qing Long is betrayed by Xuanwu and becomes a wanted man forced to fight his former comrades to protect the empire and restore the Emperor to power.

While this isn't Asia's answer to "The Bourne Identity", this actioner is a valiant effort. There is enough hard action, longing romance, silly humour and the obligatory life values and morality spiels to engage everyone across the board.

Yet, one would have hoped to see more of the titular weapon and its full use in action, seeing as we're told in detail at the start how special this tool is (eight blades for torture, five for killing and the last one reserved for suicide upon failure of a mission). But the disappointment of not seeing this fabled weapon and all its intricacies is more than made up for with the relentless and well-choreographed fight sequences in deserts, forests, temples and tea-houses.

Yen manages to make his fights look like a spirited walk in the park as he oozes masculinity and charisma. But his acting still leaves much to be desired, so Vicky Zhao (in yet another period role) amps up the emotion with more than just a "flower vase" thespian turn as feisty love interest Qiao Hua.

Pretty boy Wu Zun surprisingly shines as the leader of the bandits, holding his own with slick moves and a beguiling presence. The same however, cannot be said for Yu Wu. Although he tries courageously hard to play the villain, he fades into the background against his heavyweight counterparts.

It may not be the ultimate wuxia picture, with its occasional cheesy sentimental lapse and gaping plot holes, but "14 Blades" has enough sharp elements to keep fans and non-fans intrigued.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/reviews/view/1034968/1/.html

A new Donnie Yen movie was playing at Indonesian's movie theater last week end. It was directed by Daniel Lee starring Donnie Yen and Vicky Zhao with guest star Sammo Hung.

What surprised me is that the Chinese title is the same as Shaw Brother's Secret Service of the Imperial Court.

Link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKOyAkD7Pno

Believe it or not, the way the fights (those I've peeked at) are shot are actually an improvement to how Lee usually shoots action and the editing is toned down here (it's still a bit fast). And not only that but the choreography is also great, probably the best wuxia-based one I've seen in a long time. I have yet to see the whole movie though (looks very interesting).

Guest WuxiaFan
Believe it or not, the way the fights (those I've peeked at) are shot are actually an improvement to how Lee usually shoots action and the editing is toned down here (it's still a bit fast). And not only that but the choreography is also great, probably the best wuxia-based one I've seen in a long time. I have yet to see the whole movie though (looks very interesting).

DiP - thanks for posting the review below. I'm looking forward to this movie! I love wuxia movies! (as you may have guessed)

:29_003:

Watch it for Donnie Yen vs Chen Kuan Tai.

Chen Kuan Tai looked awesome in his old age still spinning around that guan dao like weapon, and he had a fist vs fist fight with Donnie Yen. Chen Kuan Tai showed some tiger claw style kungfu, there are some moments of oldstyle kungfu here, then Donnie Yen took over with his grappling style martial arts.

CHINA (original releases,no bootlegs):

2DVD9

51-PtW8h8SL._AA500_.jpg

1DVD9

51m+8jZ0qlL._AA500_.jpg

1DVD5

5121dCJ8uYL._AA500_.jpg

There is no information about any english subtitles yet...

Less than a month of theatrical runs and the DVDs are closing in. Seems like the gap between theatrical releases and official DVD releases in HK/China has gotten narrower these last 5 months. Good, now we don't have to wait much longer.

Less than a month of theatrical runs and the DVDs are closing in. Seems like the gap between theatrical releases and official DVD releases in HK/China has gotten narrower these last 5 months. Good, now we don't have to wait much longer.

those are the mainland releases.. they get released earlier than hk versions.

just think that the official "confucius" dvd is already out in china

That's true but I've been noticing that even HK DVDs are getting released a bit sooner than the usual (two months after theatrical release).

That's true but I've been noticing that even HK DVDs are getting released a bit sooner than the usual (two months after theatrical release).

that's also true ^^

I work in Chinatown in NY and I went to the DVD store under the Manhattan Bridge and they had "14 Blades" region 6 with English subtitles. Even though I have an all region player I really didn't want to pick it up just yet. The lady said the Chinese subtitles play on top of the English ones together. Hopefully the English subtitles one will come out soon.

I work in Chinatown in NY and I went to the DVD store under the Manhattan Bridge and they had "14 Blades" region 6 with English subtitles. Even though I have an all region player I really didn't want to pick it up just yet. The lady said the Chinese subtitles play on top of the English ones together. Hopefully the English subtitles one will come out soon.

That one could be a version with theatrical (burned in) subs.

That one could be a version with theatrical (burned in) subs.

Asmo: I wish they had one playing in the store so you could see it. I guess I have to wait it out a little longer.

burned in subtitles are fine to me, but i was wondering if it's the original R6 edition... can you provide me some other infos? i'm asking this cause the cheap R6 (d5) edition will be rlsed in two days in China.

fiol: What info do you need, I'll find out for you tomorrow just let me know.

look at page 7 and then check in that store if the version was one of those , if yes it's legit, if not.. well it's not xD

and pls check the label (if it's OPUS MEDIA it's original)

THE gift set may has:

-audio mandarin DTS,5.1,2.0

-Subs: eng/chi

D9 movie + D5 (interviews,behind the scenes,documentary)

----------------

I found these infos in a chinese website

8ea0a5177f6d563ac93d6dc.jpg

it comes with:

14Blazes Poster (38cm * 52cm)

14Blazes Red HardCover Notebook (160pages)

Audio Mandarin DTS-es 6.1,Mandarin 5.1 EX

Subs English, Chinese S, Chinese T

2xD9:

D9: Movie + 3 Trailers

D9: Extras: (no subs)

Gala Premiere

Shenzhen Meeting

Interviews: Zhao Wei / Donnie Yen / Wu Zun / Kate Tsui / QI Yu Wu

Making Of

Behind The Scenes

Theatre Preview

needless to say that i'm gonna buy it :D