Mandarin vocabulary lists for Shaw Brothers films?

xianzai

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sonnychibaidol

Hao!-Good!, Okay!, Well!

Ta Ma De!- Damn it! Shit!

Wang Ba Dan!- Bastard!, Son of a bitch!, Asshole!

Hao Gung Fu!-Good Kung-fu!, Great martial skill!

Hun Dan!-Same meaning as Wang Ba Dan!

Shang!-Advance! Attack! Get him/her!

Zhui!-After him/her! Chase!

Cao Ni Nai Nai- Fuck your wet-nurse/ Fuck your mum!

Mei Shi!-No problem, Everything is fine!

Shi-Yes

Bu-No

Bu Shi-No, Not so.

Wu Gui Wang Ba Dan- Absolute bastard, complete asshole (literally: Tortoise and Son of a Turtle).

Her Ziu-Drink wine/alcohol/ Let's drink some wine.

Guest WuxiaFan
Hao!-Good!, Okay!, Well!

Wang Ba Dan!- Bastard!, Son of a bitch!, Asshole!

Hao Gung Fu!-Good Kung-fu!, Great martial skill!

Hun Dan!-Same meaning as Wang Ba Dan!

Shang!-Advance! Attack! Get him/her!

Zhui!-After him/her! Chase!

Cao Ni Nai Nai- Fuck your wet-nurse/ Fuck your mum!

Mei Shi!-No problem, Everything is fine!

Shi-Yes

Bu-No

Bu Shi-No, Not so.

Wu Gui Wang Ba Dan- Absolute bastard, complete asshole (literally: Tortoise and Son of a Turtle).

Her Ziu-Drink wine/alcohol/ Let's drink some wine.

LOL! Very cool. Keep them coming! XD

I'll add cantonese, too. Simply because I happen to be fond of Cantonese...;-)

xiong di / hing dai - brother

da ge / daai go - big brother

da xia / daai hap - (great) hero

gu niang / gu neung (or gu leung) - miss

huang shang / wong soeng - "your majesty", basically

gong zi - young master

sha / sa - kill (or "Attaaaack!" ;-))

sha ren - kill or murder

(only Cant., sorry) - gwai da gwai - ghost hits ghost; a situation when members of one group start fighting with one another - but that's rather a Golden Harvest one, I'm afraid...;-)

The Dragon

Shao Lung- Little/Young Dragon

Shi-Shi- Thank you

Lie La- Come

Chi- Please, after you

Wei- Hi, Hello

Pei/Pe- Stop

Mo Se Tung- Full of life, Lots of Energy

I'm not certain of the spellings.

The Dragon
Thanks - xìe xie

Many thanks/thanks very much - duō xiè

;)

Thanks for the correct spelling. :D

Hao!-Good!, Okay!, Well!

Ta - You or Your

Ma - Mother

De - is a possessive, like apostrophe "s".

"Bu zhi dao!" : "I don't know!"

After seeing about 200 Shaw plot lines of some heroic guy who was captured by villains, and was asked (upon threat of torture or death) where the sacred scroll/treasure/Ming Patriots/Shaolin rebels were being hidden, I finally figured this one out.

Wo bu ming bai - I don't understand

Jinda - Really

Guinyan - Lady

And remember, its a tonal language!

Omni Dragon

People who watchted Zatoichi meets the One armed swordsmen will know that thank you in Mandarin is running water in Japanese it's 1 of the many miss understandings between Zatoichi & the One armed swordsmen.

The Dragon
"Bu zhi dao!" : "I don't know!"

After seeing about 200 Shaw plot lines of some heroic guy who was captured by villains, and was asked (upon threat of torture or death) where the sacred scroll/treasure/Ming Patriots/Shaolin rebels were being hidden, I finally figured this one out.

Bu Zhi Dao!!

XD

胡 hú surname

鏢師 biāoshī swordsman

你們 nǐmen you (plural)

快點 kuài diǎn hurry

老爺 lǎoye master; lord

爺 yé master

已經 yǐjing already

搜 sōu search

就是 jiùshì only, merely, etc.

這 zhè\zhèi this

幾 jǐ how many; a few

人 rén person

Here's a vocabulary list for The Swordmates. Only about ~640 vocabulary items for the whole film. I hope it will encourage folks to pick up some Chinese to get more enjoyment out of their Shaw Brothers libraries.

swordmates.zip

Here's a vocabulary list for The Swordmates. Only about ~640 vocabulary items for the whole film. I hope it will encourage folks to pick up some Chinese to get more enjoyment out of their Shaw Brothers libraries.

Wow, thanks! Did you make up this list yourself?

Excuse me, but what's the point of these vocab lists? Am I missing something here? Somebody has compiled that Swordsmates list--for what reason?

Wow, thanks! Did you make up this list yourself?

Yes, with help as noted in the file.

Excuse me, but what's the point of these vocab lists? Am I missing something here? Somebody has compiled that Swordsmates list--for what reason?
The main point of it is that one can study Chinese in school and still be unable to understand a Shaw Brothers period film due to much of the vocabulary used in a period film not being covered. Students of Chinese will realize such a list isn't a magical cure, but only a starting point in understanding the Chinese speech/subtitles of such films.

Another reason I did it is to get an idea of the size of the vocabulary of such films. With under 700 items for this film, the challenge of learning the terms used in such films seems manageable, as many of those terms will carry over to other period Shaw Brothers films.

As to how to use the list, one could use it for making flashcards, perhaps starting with the various verbs and forms of address, as they are likely to be common across period Shaw Brothers films. A more involved but rewarding approach would be to sit down with The Swordmates (or screen captures from it) and work through the Chinese/English subtitles to understand each Chinese sentence, building a vocabulary list with only the definitions used in the film, not all definitions available for a word in the CC-CEDICT dictionary. The hard part of recognizing each character/phrase has been done for you. If you do this, I recommend moving recognized words/phrases to a "known" list to both shrink the remaining list used to find a new word and to show how much progress you are making. (There were a very few typos in the Chinese subtitles, discussed here. 'character' is my username for Chinese-language forums such as that one and plecoforums, FWIW.)

Of course it would be great if this list inspires others to make and post supplemental vocabulary lists for other Shaw Brothers films.

Oh I see. My first language is English (I don't speak Chinese at all), and I am always learning new lyrics from watching Shaw Brothers with old school English dubbing! :D I'm always saying "splendid" everywhere I go, and "but still", though nobody else my generation speaks like this anymore.

Check this out; Old English can be quite difficult to interpret:

"Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the rents covenants and agreements hereafter reserved and contained

on the part of the said Edgar Bicknell his executors administrators and a signs to be paid done and beyond." :P

Oh I see. My first language is English (I don't speak Chinese at all), and I am always learning new lyrics from watching Shaw Brothers with old school English dubbing! :D I'm always saying "splendid" everywhere I go, and "but still", though nobody else my generation speaks like this anymore.

Check this out; Old English can be quite difficult to interpret:

"Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the rents covenants and agreements hereafter reserved and contained

on the part of the said Edgar Bicknell his executors administrators and a signs to be paid done and beyond." :P

Comedy. lol!

Archived