Steve James articles

Jesse Smooth

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks Jesse! ;)

I always thought Steve was cool, and wished he'd show up in better movies where he could really show his fighting skills. He had a great, likeable screen presence, and I remember as a kid being very distraught when he was attacked in THE EXTERMINATOR!

sonnychibaidol

I thought it was a real shame that he died so young when I discovered it. I could not believe my eyes or ears and yelled: "Shit!"

He will be sorely missed by all of us who admired him.

May God have mercy on his soul.

bamboo spear

I loved this guy growing up, especially in Avenging Force, American Ninja, Delta Force, Hero and the Terror and I'm Gonna Get You Sucka! Great charisma for an action guy.

TibetanWhiteCrane

He should have been the star of all those Cannon flicks, instead of playing second banana and token black sidekick to all those generic white dudes! He had ten times the energy, charisma and skills of Dudikoff, Bradley or any of those guys!

• Like 2

froffeecoffee

It's such a shame most of his movies sucked, except for I'm Gonna Get You Sucka! This was no way his fault, like TibetanWhiteCrane wrote, "He had ten times the energy, charisma and skills of Dudikoff, Bradley or any of those guys!"

I watched alot of his movies in the 80s and knew they were b-level quality. From the information that came about him after his death, he was so much better than his films allowed him to be. Such a tragedy that his skills were never utilized properly just like Oriental Cinema wrote.

Knowing that level of commitment he had to bring proper martial arts to the movie screen, made me re-examine his career and appreciate the man so much more.

Jesse Smooth

Glad to see that SJ still gets love. According to IMDB, he was in ETGOD. There is a Black fighter that resembles him, but it's not him. Bruce vs. Black Dragon is an aka for Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu.

It appears his major influences were among Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan mainly, there's a personal quote of his which he says on imdb thats says this:

(Steve James) "I don't like getting beat up much in films, but Jackie [Chan] could beat me up anytime. My first influence was Bruce Lee, and then I saw Jackie afterwards, and it was entirely different. When people ask me who I think is the best action star, I don't say Stallone, I don't say Schwarzenegger, I say Jackie. He's my influence, I learn from him, that's why I'm here."

Cognoscente

I remember a quote attributed to him that Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story was the most expensive Bruceploitation movie ever made.

• Like 2