Celestial Donates All Shaw Film Material To HKFA

HAZ

Hi,

This should be announced in the coming days, but I thought I'd mention that Celestial has donated all of their Shaw Brothers 35mm film materials to the Hong Kong Film Archives. I don't what this means for the future of Shaw releases. Maybe Celestial has made digi-beta copies of all their prints from which they will master their dvds? Or maybe the HKFA will screen To Kill A Mastermind one day...We'll have to wait & see.

h

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for letting us know.

Seems odd to just donate them, unless Celestial have access to them again incase they decide to release more titles. I'm kinda curious to what'll happen...

I'm told that the HKFA keeps their 35mm prints under lock & key. Hopefully, they won't just be archived. Maybe they will make digi-beta copies of all the 35mm prints & screen those. It's my understanding that every scrap of film has been donated, so that means trailers, hk/international cuts, alternate scenes. All of this is being preserved, which is amazing, but it also means that access is limited...I think Celestial must have made digital copies of the prints. It wouldn't make sense if they didn't. The only thing Celestial kept is 12 remastered 35mm prints. 14 Amazons, 35 Chambers, 5 Venoms. I'll ask which are the other ones & post the info up here.

Hmmm, what happened to the good ol' days when they just threw the prints into a back alley --

and watched the rats chew on them? :l

Anyhow, this is great news. I look forward to my visit to the HKFA.

Haven't really decided what I'm going to do there yet (or what I will be allowed access to)...

but I plan to look into it further once the time grows near.

Find out once and for all, if a copy of Tiger Boy is on hand.

Maybe get a chance to watch it.

Maybe even boot it with my cam and post to YouTube.

(Whoops, sorry didn't mean that last part.) :P

Digibeta is only standard definition in this digital revolution.HDCAM and HDCAM SR are better options.DCI compliant 2K digital mastering is much preferred but storage can be an issue as digital technology expands and improves,so lets wait and see how best these treasures can be preserved.

I wish to download some original size of shaw brothers posters from HKFA. one day...

This donation ceremony was on the entertainment news the other day. Ti Lung and Gordon Liu were interviewed. Shaw Yin -yin was present too. It's strange since she wasn't a Shaw actress but Nora Miao was there too. She had returned to HK for the HK Film Awards and was probably invited to attend this too

This donation ceremony was on the entertainment news the other day. Ti Lung and Gordon Liu were interviewed. Shaw Yin -yin was present too. It's strange since she wasn't a Shaw actress but Nora Miao was there too. She had returned to HK for the HK Film Awards and was probably invited to attend this too

That's cool. I don't think they've posted anything yet on the HKFA site.

chen lung
It's strange since she wasn't a Shaw actress but Nora Miao was there too. She had returned to HK for the HK Film Awards and was probably invited to attend this too

Nora was in 'To Kill A Jaguar', but do you mean that she wasn't a regular Shaw actress?

Kwok Choi

Nora Miao wasn't a regular Shaw actress but she was also in "Clans Of Intrigue" with Ti Lung so I believe she deserves an invitation to such a prestigious event if she happened to be in town.

I forgot that Nora starred in these 2 Shaw films by special invitation.

I could not identify some old stars in the line-up. Perhaps I will post screen caps from my home-made DVD here.

Archived