Flying Fox on Snowy Mountain

hkpyanfar

I just started watching Flying Fox on Snowy Mountain. I am two disks into it, and I am being sucked into the story. If the series continues to be this good, it will end up being one of my favorites.

It has plenty of swordplay action with a little hand-to-hand fighting. There is sequences of swordplay by the lead character as a child that were a lot of fun.

Anthony Wong appears but not enough. He gives a nice performance here. Alex Fong has a major role as a brooding swordsman and he pulls it off nicely. The lead charactor is played by someone I had never heard of, but again he plays the young, naive swordsman really well.

All in all, a great start to the series. I hope it holds up for the rest of the episodes.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a 2006 series. And the proper title is "Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain"

I'm not sure how long the series has been out on DVD with English subtitles.

kungfusamurai

This website is hosting a number of episodes from the original series. No subs, and I think the dub is Vietnamese, not the original Cantonese. The original shows all recorded their audio live.

Flying Fox 1985

KFS

The series (which is available with engl. subs from TaiSeng) is despised by many wuxia fans due to it´s liberties with the original novel, however, I found it quite amusing. Unfortunately the last ten episodes are frustrating and sometimes boring, the finale is disappointing.

Oh-oh, I hope I am not disappointed by the end.

I never read the novel, so I can only judge by the tv plot. I am now half way through and still happy with the series.

hkpyanfar

Thanks for the link kungfusamurai!

I finished the 2006 series this weekend. I didn't find the last 10 episodes to drag. My only complaint is the overuse of falling off a mountain cliff as a plot device. Otherwise I found the series quite satisfying. If you like wired swordplay then you'll like this series.

wuxiawuxia

Great to hear you enjoyed, the series was really bad, watch the original 85 version for the best adaptation of the story.

Great to hear you enjoyed, the series was really bad, watch the original 85 version for the best adaptation of the story.

Boy, what I really dislike about these hardcore-wuxia-fans is that they always overpraise those 80sTVB-series, which really suck, and always diss the newer series, especially those from the PRC.

If you want your wuxia-tv-series as epic and fantastic as the novels you wanna stay away from the TVB-series which are produced very very cheaply.

wuxiawuxia
Boy, what I really dislike about these hardcore-wuxia-fans is that they always overpraise those 80sTVB-series, which really suck, and always diss the newer series, especially those from the PRC.

They don't suck they made better adaptations than recent China production which relies too much on sceneries and bad cgis but bad script and boring dialogues.

If you want your wuxia-tv-series as epic and fantastic as the novels you wanna stay away from the TVB-series which are produced very very cheaply.

Wirefu, Matrix style editing, beautiful sceneries don't make good adaptation; keeping the essence of the novel, good scripts, excellent acting do.

I have enjoyed some 80's TVB series. I have seen Legend of the Condor Heroes and Return of the Condor Heroes and New Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre. I have enjoyed them all. I can understand why some fans may not like the special effects when compared to modern CGI, but for me, it doesn't matter. If they have a good story and good acting, then I will like it. I saw the 80's series first, and they are the ones that got me interested in watching tv series. The only tv series I have seen that I didn't like, Men and Legends, was a modern series, so being new is no guarantee of quality.

That said, I can still enjoy a modern series like Fox Volant.

I don't think that the old series sucked - but it seems to me like some hardcore old-school wuxia fans aren't entirely fair in their assessment of modern mainland adaptations.

For one thing - I don't really think that TVB and ATV actors were significantly better than the mainland actors are these days.

I agree in that the tv series need to have good actors, action, plot and romance in a good mix, at least the good series, i.e. the ones that I like. I think that you can find that in the old series and in the new. Some people may dislike the CGI effects or miss certain favorite actors, but I am just pleased to be able to see the tv series now with English subtitles. For a long time I felt frustrated because HK tv series did not feature the English subtitles and I thought that I was missing out on something good. Now I am happy to get what I can.

Fox Volant had Anthony Wong, a great HK actor and Alex Fong in one his better roles. The new actors, new for me anyway, also generally did a good job. My favorite was the actress who played Alex Fong's daughter. You could see the change in her character as she grew up, changing from a naive, self-centered teen to a mature woman.

I think being open to the old and the new is the best way to go, but people have to go with what they like. If they only like the old stuff, then so be it. That is their center of enjoyment. The HK film hobby can be open to all who like something of the product. Everyone can't like every thing.

Archived