What video games have you been playing

Omni Dragon

Been on a Genesis kick lately. Finally beat Thunderforce III after 25 or so years. Now to attempt the brutally hard 4th game in the series. Also finished Shadow Dancer but that was easy peasy. These games play sick with an X-Arcade stick.

Also did a quick runthrough of Gunstar Heroes on the 3DS. Such a timeless fun game. Really pops in 3D too.

Secret Executioner

Been playing a lot of King's Quest III lately. Don't ask me why, but I decided to go with this one first - probably due to wanting to try to finish this mofo that I never got through.

Anyway, I've been relatively far in the game since Monday (there's a score counter and I've been up to around 40 out of 210, though it seems you can finish those games with imperfect scores - I never reached the 185 points in King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne, always ending with 170-something points).
As I've mentionned, the first 5 or so minutes are rather slow since you can't go around like you want (unless you don't care about what happens, though I admit a lot of creative things can happen). So I essentially gathered items from rooms of the house I could go to without trouble. Once the wizard left, I searched his room, his study and his underground lab that you can get to from his office. On my way back up from the lab (since it's under the house), I encountered one of the many retarded deaths from this game - tripping on the cat while I had nearly reached the top of the stairs, falling back down somehow.
After restoring an old game (saving is very important and next to compulsory in this game), I made it all the way back up (without encountering the feline fiend who randomly pop up in rooms of the house, but as a satisfactory revenge, I kicked him the next time we crossed*) and decided to go down the peak. After falling down something like 6 times at the same blind spot**, I finally arrived at the bottom of the mountain... Only to be robbed by bandits as soon as I got into the forrest, which got me to literally go "WTF ?!" - and I was even more annoyed when I realized I had lost EVERYTHING I had in my inventory. After remembering that this is kinda supposed to happen from my old experience and that recovering the goods from the bandits leads to getting a few extra items, I kept going and notably got to the Bear family home (which isn't too far from the bottom of the peak). Much like in the story of Goldilocks, you're supposed to take one of three bowls of porridge while they're out for a walk in the woods. A funny extra is that while searching their house, you can also sleep in Baby Bear's bed - only for Papa Bear to throw you down the stairs and kick you out of the house (which somehow doesn't kill you BTW). I died a couple of times in the desert (there's some desert, a bit of forrest and a seaside part all within a rather small distance in case you're wondering what the area looks like) due to Medusa showing up and turning you into stone if you look at her - which usually happens seeing how fast this all goes and how she very often pops in in front of your character. You can defeat her if you don't get robbed, but I succeeded at showing her the magic mirror and turning her into stone only once out of like 4 attempts. But anyway, I defeated her (once) and was able to continue on***.

But I won't be able to find out, since I wasted too much time and I'll probably need to restart it all. As I was wandering in the forrest around 29 minutes in that f**kin' wizard appeared, got mad at me for plotting against him and wanting to uncover his secrets and thus... He turned me into dust, leading to my 10th or so death. Now knowing where to find what and what to do, I could probably be faster and poison him with a potion in the porridge (since it's how you kill him). But I still haven't found how to make the wizard's book and the magic map clear. The ink on both is very faint and so you can't see a thing on either, implying that you can't use the map to teleport or the book to make magic stuff.

Footnotes:

*  Yup, entering "kick cat" when next to it is a valid instruction.

** There's a portion of the way where the character passes behind a big rock, so you don't know if he's still on the very thin track or if he's going to fall should he keep going.

*** Kinda interesting that the Bears from Goldilocks and the Greek mythology monster Medusa seem to co-exist within a same universe... I'm sure there's more afterwards - KQ2 also did this with Little Red Riding Hood and Dracula being characters you encountered during the game.

In other Sierra oldware news, I found the first two Space Quest games as well - Space Quest chapter I: The Sarien Encounter and Space Quest chapter II: Vohaul's Revenge.

I got into those at the same time I got into the King's Quest games, and I remember enjoying them. They use graphics and gameplay similar to the KQ games, - but there's no time counter (which seems to be unique to the third KQ game) - and there is also similar off the wall stuff, like the hero being a janitor in a spaceship and some enjoyable easter eggs (the bands playing in a pub in SQ 1 is a big fav' of mine). I think I finished the first and got pretty far in the second one, but I didn't play those as much as KQ2 and 3. Still an enjoyable couple of games that I happily tried earlier to see if they worked under ScummVM - and they do, hurray.  :happy

Edited by Secret Executioner

Grasshopper Sage

I already have such a huge backlog of games so I won't even mention all the other 90's games I've gotten since I last posted. Right now I'm a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of anime related games I've purchased and how many more I still feel I'm missing out on.

In terms of PC of course Steam & not PSN had the Hyperdimension Neptunia games on sale for a pretty good price so I bought 1&2 & it's hack & slash counterpart for PS Vita. I also bought 100% Orange Juice for PC, Persona 4 Golden, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z for PS Vita, & actually got a physical copy of Freedom Wars brand new at GameStop for $5 since I don't currently have Plus.

In general the games I currently have on my Vitas (yes, vitas) are Toukiden (orginal), Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed, Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, Freedom Wars, Tearaway, LA-MULANA EX, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, DBZ: Battle of Z, & the God of War Collection.

As for what I'm currently playing, hopefully I can stay focused on Tearaway. I beat it about a year ago but have since read it's an easy plat so I figured I should mop that up and get it off the limited space that is is the Vita's storage.

Here's to video game backlogs.

:monk_toasting:

I'm actually close to finishing Tearaway. Such a creative game. Funny seeing your own face and creations plastered everywhere in the game. It is very easy though. More therapeutic than challenging.

EDIT: I take that back. Fuck this game. It's full of bugs and glitches. Inexcusable releasing games without being properly tested. Made it the whole way to the end, just to get a touchscreen bug where you can't open the final message. Garbage.

Edited by FieryReign

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015) - I'm currently on episode 5... Damn great game so far. This is only my second MGS game to date (I'm planning on getting the older games just to catch up with the whole franchise) but I'm already seeing the hype. Stylistically and thematically, it's a whole lot different from other stealth games (like the Hitman and Splinter Cell franchises) as well. Gameplay feels authentic and I like the options of weapons and equipments. But it's the story and the whole game atmosphere that totally makes playing so immersed and gripping.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Iron_Leopard

I've been goofing off and causing trouble on the streets of my two favorite GTA clones "Sleeping Dogs" and "Mafia II".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I've been goofing off and causing trouble on the streets of my two favorite GTA clones "Sleeping Dogs" and "Mafia II".

Sleeping Dogs is awesome. GTA clone or not, it's its own beast and it's all the better for it.

As for me, lots and lots of Street Fighter (various iterations). Bring on Street Fighter V.

• Like 2

Started playing Street Fighter IV (Christmas present) and WWE 2K16 (early birthday present). The latter is awesome because you can actually play Stone Cold Steve Austin's prolific matches with following objectives, like the 1996 King of the Ring final and the Wrestlemania XIII match against Bret Hart.

• Like 1

Been playing Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel UprisingSleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, and Mortal Kombat X for XBox One. For MKX, I bought the characters Jason Voorhees and Leatherface to use as playable characters. Leatherface has some sick (as in freaking awesome) fatalities! 

I would like to get back to playing video games but so little free time to fully enjoy any game.

My son (4yrs) is the one who is playing the most games - mainly the monster trucks & racing games. The wife is playing Wii Sport Resort.

I have the Wii, PS3 & XBox 360. I have been wanting to get a new system and was debatting between the PS4 Pro and the XBox One S (was leaning). I was going to get the XBox One S just to have as a 2nd UHD player (I already gone the 4K route) & I could have gotten it at a good price but I didn't pull the trigger.

However, I will be getting Project Scorpio when it is released.

Ryu ga Gotoku 6: Inochi no Uta.

Had it since launch. Couldn't wait until 2018 for the western release.

Also Street Fighter V, and King of Fighters XIV here and there. Testing out my Hori Fighting Commander.

• Like 1

2016 I played more than 200 hours of Dark Souls 3. I think it's very good, but Bloodborne is better and Dark Souls 2 had better PvP.

How are you finding KoF Asmo? I was tempted to get it but already into SFV and looking forward to Tekken 7, not sure I've got the time to pick up another fighter.

Damn, them Dark Souls and Bloodbourne games seem like major time-sinks. Could never see myself pouring that much time on a single game.

Anyone preorder a Switch? Looks to be the last hurrah for Nintendo. I don't see another system from them after this. Laziness and greed surround this thing all over the place. The Nintendo Dreamcast.

Currently playing Resident Evil 7 on PC. I can see the hype behind this and after playing the remastered version of the remake and checking out videos of some of the recent games, it's looks like the franchise is back on its' feet after taking a major change of direction with RE4 (more action-oriented than following the traditional survival horror approach) continuing onward from there. Gonna play more now, I'll back back... :sweating:devil

Edited by DiP

Omni Dragon

I went to an arcade with a friend on Monday, the machines I can remember are; Mario Kart Deluxe, Alien Armageddon, Pac-Man Chomp Mania and Star Wars Battle Pod. I won quite a few tickets from the Pac-Man machine and was able to get a lightsaber as a prize lol, I also won a Pac-Man ghost soft toy on a claw-machine.

That friend also gave me a PS3 beforehand (I was stunned). My gamertag on PSN is Arcturus_PSII 

On 15/01/2017 at 8:04 AM, Cloud Hands said:

How are you finding KoF Asmo? I was tempted to get it but already into SFV and looking forward to Tekken 7, not sure I've got the time to pick up another fighter.

It's definitely enjoyable. Was a bit of a learning curve for me (as KoF titles got released inconsistently out here, I hadn't played one since the PS2 days). Some of the inputs threw me, but I'm really having fun with it. I think it's gonna pick up soon now that it's had the graphic update, and DLC is coming.

I'm definitely gonna pick up Tekken 7 as well.