What is the best Shaolin Soccer DVD?

littlefuzzy

littlefuzzy

I first saw this on a friend's import, and of course I was following the big stink about the way MiramAX was handling it, but then I heard that they relented and put the original version on the DVD also, so I thought I was safe.

Leave it to those boneheads to foul that up as well. Sure, the original version is there, but the subtitles are for the shorter US cut, and leave out some dialogue in certain extended scenes (and are absent entirely on the outtakes at the end.)

Since I can't speak any Chinese (err, Mandarin or Cantonese) I'm not sure if these are actual translated subtitles, or dubtitles that follow the English dub. Either way, if some subtitles are missing, then I would prefer a better disc.

What would be the best (and cheapest) import disc for this movie? Obviously I want the original cut, or even an extended if they have one, good English subtitles, and hopefully some extras (even trailers for this and other movies.) It would help greatly if the extras are subtitled as well.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omni Dragon
Optimum's DVD in the UK is probably a better option.

Yeah the optimum asia dvd is the 1 i have but the English dubbed is cut so it best to watch the Cantonese with subs but Stephen does his own voice in the dubbing also the extras include making of & out-takes.

Yeah the optimum asia dvd is the 1 i have but the English dubbed is cut so it best to watch the Cantonese with subs but Stephen does his own voice in the dubbing also the extras include making of & out-takes.

Compared to Universe, I don't think it has the branching options or DTS, but it does have better image and subtitle quality.

littlefuzzy
Compared to Universe, I don't think it has the branching options or DTS, but it does have better image and subtitle quality.

Branching doesn't mean much to me, since I only ever plan to watch the original HK theatrical version, not the American atrocity... I don't have a DTS reciever, so that doesn't matter either.

Anyone have a good link to find the UK version?

Here's a good comparison between the DVDs. I think the UK DVD improves the subtitles by correcting the existing ones - whilst it's better than the grammar problems the Universe DVD presents, a re-translation is always best.

The branching was if you wanted to see the HK theatrical/longer version separately (nothing to do with Miramax's version). I don't like pop-up branching as it's annoying (it's only good for reference), I prefer seamless. The UK DVD has the longer version.

Price-wise, you might find one here?

I've got the Universe DVD, but I think an upgrade to the UK DVD might be in order for the better quality :).

Branching doesn't mean much to me, since I only ever plan to watch the original HK theatrical version, not the American atrocity...

There's two HK cuts on the disc. The theatrical version, and the director's cut, which it branches between. The director's cut runs about 10 minutes longer, and features the 'exploding' dance scene, which isn't in the theatrical cut. Also, the HK cut on the Miramax disc is actually a different cut than either of the HK cuts, and features a couple of alternate takes that were in the outtakes.

Archived