Holy Flame of the Martial World (1983)

bigwulee

Does anyone know about this movie? I've been trying to get my hands on the DVD but every place i visited just has the VCD. Amazon & Bestbuy are saying it will be release by WELL GO USA with an english soundtrack on 5-12-2009.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=17713066&st=martial+club&type=product&id=1958183

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Flame-Martial-World-Chung/dp/B001UJUH26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1240429046&sr=8-1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeathShrike
Does anyone know about this movie? I've been trying to get my hands on the DVD but every place i visited just has the VCD. Amazon & Bestbuy are saying it will be release by WELL GO USA with an english soundtrack on 5-12-2009.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=17713066&st=martial+club&type=product&id=1958183

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Flame-Martial-World-Chung/dp/B001UJUH26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1240429046&sr=8-1

Yeah, I love it! It's batshit insane, in the best possible way. It's one of Chin Ku Lu's directorial efforts with Shaw Bros, of which most are great. Bastard Swordsman and Lady Assassin are his two best, but Holy Flame is close behind. I preordered it on Amazon.

I'll believe the english dub when I see it (hear it?).

The dub was announced for Duel of the Century as well and turned out to be not the case.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I just saw some bad news about this title at HKFlix... "This DVD was cancelled before release." :o

DeathShrike
I just saw some bad news about this title at HKFlix... "This DVD was cancelled before release." :o

That better not be true! I think I sold my IVL disc already! I am a fool.

Do we have contacts at Well Go we can ask?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
That better not be true! I think I sold my IVL disc already! I am a fool.QUOTE]

A hard lesson learned. I remember getting a nice letterboxed DVD of a flick and giving away my VHS. When I watched it- turned out the DVD was cut! You know the old saying "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"?

That better not be true! I think I sold my IVL disc already! I am a fool.

Do we have contacts at Well Go we can ask?

Man, never get rid of a disc before finding a replacement, you'll live to regret it. I did this with a film only to find out the film I was attempting to upgrade was no longer available.

Lesson learned.

I e-mailed the head of distribution at WellGo last night. If I get a response I will post it here.

Yes, please inquire about the english dub if possible and thanks in advance!

It would be my only reason for picking this title up.

No reason to double dip otherwise.

i notice on HOLY FLAME it says --contains new english language track. so one has to wonder if this is an old school dub or new voices dub. i for one hope its an original dub as this movie is on the list of known dubs. have to just wait and see.:P;):):D

I love Bastard Swordsman, but have yet to see this one. I've heard about it for ages, dating back to a review in the book Sex Zen and a Bullet in the Head. In the commentary for Big Trouble in Little China John Carpenter says that it was a huge influence on his movie. That's a recommendation if ever I heard one!

TibetanWhiteCrane

I've listened to that commentary a thousand times, But I never heard that he mentioned that movie by name???

Are you sure???

Pretty sure man, at the end fight of Big Trouble he talks about HK movies and refers to the movie as 'Holy Flames'. I may have to watch it again, you've put doubt in my mind! I've only watched it with commentary once

TibetanWhiteCrane

Im gonna check it out tonight! Once I seemed to remember that he mentioned Zu Warriors, but now im not even sure about that one!

Just checked it! He does mention Zu you were right. I was wrong it seems about holy flame. Carpenter talks about Zu then talks about a Taiwanese film called if I heard correctly Swords of Fame. I don't know if thats the right title! I really want to see that one now! What do you think, Tibetanwhitecrane?

TibetanWhiteCrane

I was gonna check it out too, and then mid movie, I fell asleep :)

missed the Swords Of Fame mention! Don't think I've ever heard that title before! But then again, im no expert on swordplay , by any means! And maybe it's an alt. title that JC knew it under! Would be fun to know the exact movie though!

As stated earlier this movie is batshit crazy..and besides MASSIEVLY undercranked fightscenes...I LOVED it.

During the final fight was that the song "Fisherman's Song of the East Chi/East Sea Fishermen's Story" or a variation (used in Kung Fu Hustle)?

Waking up early Saturday morning and making my coffee I figured I have time to watch a Shaw, Holy Flame of the Martial World was the perfect movie to put in, I watched a lot of movies like this on Saturday afternoons(and after school) in my youth.

This is what fantasy is all about and what wire work was really intended for, I think it's why I have a problem with the new movies like Fearless, where as these movies are suppose to be realistic, and about real people, you still have people doing unrealistic moves and maneuvers , they don't fit.

I can only surmise director Tony Liu had to be on some kind of massive coke binge when he made this movie, there's not much breathing room, reminds me a lot of Demon of the Lute, a lot of hokey wigs, sets, and costumes, the characters are off the wall(the Blood Sucking Gang?!!!?:xd:), the fight scenes are manic and furious, the final fight does a decent job of outdoing itself.

Surely not every ones cup of tea, but once again I'm impressed by the pure effort and creativity put into it. For my part I love these insane off the wall fantasy movies, the 80's was a magical period for fantasy and horror film, most of these movies are by no means masterpieces, but they have heart, and that's something a massive budget can't buy.

I watched 'Demon of the Lute' and 'Holy Flame of the Martial World' back to back, and they both were awesome.

The colors are so great & both movies are so trippy.

So glad to see these.

• Administrator
Waking up early Saturday morning and making my coffee I figured I have time to watch a Shaw, Holy Flame of the Martial World was the perfect movie to put in, I watched a lot of movies like this on Saturday afternoons(and after school) in my youth.

This is what fantasy is all about and what wire work was really intended for, I think it's why I have a problem with the new movies like Fearless, where as these movies are suppose to be realistic, and about real people, you still have people doing unrealistic moves and maneuvers , they don't fit.

Yo Tosh, you really nailed it. Though personally I can tolerate it a bit more than you, and in fact, I love FEARLESS despite the wirework. But, in my opinion, in a perfect world there'd be about 4% wirework in non-fantasy oriented martial arts films. Just a few things done to slightly enhance a performers natural abilities or too add to a persons reaction to hits.

I can only surmise director Tony Liu had to be on some kind of massive coke binge when he made this movie, there's not much breathing room, reminds me a lot of Demon of the Lute, a lot of hokey wigs, sets, and costumes, the characters are off the wall(the Blood Sucking Gang?!!!?:xd:), the fight scenes are manic and furious, the final fight does a decent job of outdoing itself.

Great description! :xd:It's like it takes a deep breath in the beginning, then bellows crazily for an hour and a half of sheer lunacy. :tongue:

I watched 'Demon of the Lute' and 'Holy Flame of the Martial World' back to back, and they both were awesome.

The colors are so great & both movies are so trippy.

So glad to see these.

I have owned DEMON OF THE LUTE for years, but haven't watched it yet. Hearing your comments has got me very interested in moving this towards the top of my "to view" pile. Of course, to get to the top of that massive pile I'm probably going to have to do some skydiving! :wink:

Archived