Best Ninjutsu Movies?

sonnychibaidol

sonnychibaidol

Just as a question to everyone in this forum, but in your opinions, what are the best ninjutsu movies?

I will start by stating that the ones done by Sho Kosugi were the best reflection of ninjutsu in action compared to any other attempts by B grade martial arts films from Hong Kong and Taiwan that attempted to capitalize n the ninja craze phenomena.

Sho Kosugi's best ninja movies, in my opinion, are: Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja, Ninja III-The Domination, Nine Deaths of the Ninja, Pray for Death, Rage of Honour.

However, next to that, the first 2 American Ninja movies produced by the Cannon Group were also extremely good as well in the representation of ninjutsu.

Please give your thoughts.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dig robert tai's ninja action. ninja death is great stuff!!

as much as i love kosugi and the american ninja movies, i would't really call them appropriate representation of ninjitsu...but a hellova lotta fun. kosugi is always great to watch

however, i think the best ninja films are the first two shinobi no mono films

try em out if you haven't already. great stuff

Not sure if it's too obvious, but the seven Shinobi no mono movies (1962-66) are very good.
This is the best films of Ninja's hands down.

But I also liked the "Law of Shinobi" series.

Also "Red Shadow" was really good. And you cannot leave out the Sonny Chiba Ninja series which are totally awesome.

For realistic ninjitsu with a dramatic bend, Samurai Spy and Ninja Hunt are pretty incredible. I actually prefer them to the Shinobi No Mono entries, the story in both is far more interesting than any individual volume of the Ichikawa series and the cinematography is superior by a mile. For something more exploitative and action oriented I'd go with Shogun's Ninja and Shogun Assasin.

From teh chinese/HK side, Chinese Super Ninjas and Duel to The Death make the most of the subject's possibilities. Ninja Hunter is probably the most enjoyable in the super low budget batshit crazy category

From the american side I think Revenge of the Ninja was Kosugi's best.

kungpowmaster

Well, not Japanese, well, the Cannon films arn't either, but my favorite Ninja films are the IFD and Filmark Ninja classics. They may not be accurate, but they exemplify the magical and bizzare nature of Ninja. Supreme Ninja Master Richard Harrison is awesome in these films he made, of course his student Stuart Smith also demonstrated Ninjitsu mastery.

did anyone ever see "screaming ninjas"?

it was a japanese film. made very episodic like

the vhs was a big box and it had a screaming samurai on the cover.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
did anyone ever see "screaming ninjas"?

it was a japanese film. made very episodic like

the vhs was a big box and it had a screaming samurai on the cover.

I had that tape. :D

I really liked NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN. A totally entertaining film from start to finish. And how can you go wrong with Hiroyuli "Henry" Sanada as the ninja, and a last minute appearence by Hwang Jang-lee, who uses a bowling ball as his weapon!!!

Guest WuxiaFan
I had that tape. :D

I really liked NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN. A totally entertaining film from start to finish. And how can you go wrong with Hiroyuli "Henry" Sanada as the ninja, and a last minute appearence by Hwang Jang-lee, who uses a bowling ball as his weapon!!!

LOVED Ninja in the Dragon's Den! How about NINJA IN ANCIENT CHINA? Just got the Greenfan DVD, but haven't watched it yet.

Ninja Gari aka Ninja Hunt

This was a great movie, lots of action, good solid story, great acting, a true classic.

Sanada looked great in Ninja in the Dragon's Den, hard to believe he went on to such a great acting performance in Twilight Samurai so many years later.

I've only watched the first Shinobi No Mono, Raizo is excellent, need to pick up the rest of these.

ninja in ancient china makes NO sense at all. very cheaply made. listen to the film with commentary that will make it worthwhile

kungpowmaster

I got that History of Ninja set, 10 films, on Videoasia, it has a few black and white Japanese Ninja films, but I haven't watched them yet, I don't recall the titles, has anyone here seen these, and are they worthy?

I got that History of Ninja set, 10 films, on Videoasia, it has a few black and white Japanese Ninja films, but I haven't watched them yet, I don't recall the titles, has anyone here seen these, and are they worthy?

ninja hunt is part of that set and this alone makes it forth the 10$

kungpowmaster

Last night I watched The Ninja Hunt, on that Videoasia History of Ninja set. This movie was really very good. At 1st I was a bit confused of the story, maybe still am a little, but I could tell it was about preserving their clan, from another group that wanted to end them, and use their ninjas, and get some letter, which I think was upholding the clan and it's succesor, the young Lord, whom they wanted to off. Don't wanna give it away for those who like to see it not knowing anything. One thing I found really impressive about this film was the visuals, the scenes, the imagery, it was really stunning looking to me. And Videoasia released a very good one here, and it's a clear widescreen with clear subs. I haven't watched the other one on the same disc yet, Ninjitsu. But it's also a widescreen black and wite Japanese film.

bamboo spear

Shogun's Ninja and Ninja Wars will always be my favorites from Japan, The Octogan and Revenge of the Ninja being my favorite from the US.

ThunderScore
(M)y favorite Ninja films are the IFD and Filmark Ninja classics. They may not be accurate, but they exemplify the magical and bizzare nature of Ninja. Supreme Ninja Master Richard Harrison is awesome in these films he made, of course his student Stuart Smith also demonstrated Ninjitsu mastery.

Hello, I'm new here and am also interested in those IFD and Filmark Ninja titles. Been trying to get together a complete list of them and I think I'm pretty much there, but would like to know if I've missed any. Thanks!

ThunderScore
Shogun's Ninja and Ninja Wars will always be my favorites from Japan...

Love the music score from SHOGUN'S NINJA, but I don't think it was ever released on vinyl or CD...

Archived