What are the best R1 Bruce Lee films (or imitators?)

littlefuzzy

littlefuzzy

I am pretty much a Bruce Lee newbie...

I recently picked up the Bruce Lee: Ultimate Collection

- Big Boss, The ( Tang shan da xiong ) ( Fists of Fury ) (1971)

- Fist of Fury ( Jing wu men ) ( Chinese Connection, The ) (1972)

- Way of the Dragon ( Meng long guojiang ) ( Return of the Dragon ) (1972)

- Game of Death (1978)

- Game of Death 2 ( Si wang ta ) ( New Game of Death, The ) ( Tower of Death ) (1981)

I have the 2-disc Enter the Dragon, and on laserdisc I have Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

I think that's pretty much it, I seem to recall a cheapie DVD in the early days of my collecting (back in 2000-2001), but it possibly could have been one of the imitators, instead. EDIT: Ya know, it might have actually been Fist of Fear, Touch of Death... That would explain why I got rid of it. :S

What are the best Bruce Lee films to get? I'm not really looking for hardcore stuff with him as a child actor, etc., and right now, I'll probably stick with R1 stuff. On a related note, are there any Brucesploitation/Imitator films that are worth getting?

I wish the Green Hornet TV show would come out, and Batman, for that matter...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
I am pretty much a Bruce Lee newbie...

I recently picked up the Bruce Lee: Ultimate Collection

- Big Boss, The ( Tang shan da xiong ) ( Fists of Fury ) (1971)

- Fist of Fury ( Jing wu men ) ( Chinese Connection, The ) (1972)

- Way of the Dragon ( Meng long guojiang ) ( Return of the Dragon ) (1972)

- Game of Death (1978)

- Game of Death 2 ( Si wang ta ) ( New Game of Death, The ) ( Tower of Death ) (1981)

I have the 2-disc Enter the Dragon, and on laserdisc I have Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

I think that's pretty much it, I seem to recall a cheapie DVD in the early days of my collecting (back in 2000-2001), but it possibly could have been one of the imitators, instead.

What are the best Bruce Lee films to get? I'm not really looking for hardcore stuff with him as a child actor, etc., and right now, I'll probably stick with R1 stuff. On a related note, are there any Brucesploitation/Imitator films that are worth getting?

I wish the Green Hornet TV show would come out, and Batman, for that matter...

There are the two Green Hornet films, The Green Hornet and Fury of the Dragon - the latter is only on UK DVD. These were cobbled together out of episodes from the series. Otherwise thats it for Bruce films. Marlowe (1969) has yet to get a DVD - Lee plays a thug in it.

Bruceploitation wise, there's a good DVD of Goodbye Bruce Lee starring Bruce Li, and good dvds of Bruce's Deadly Fingers, Challenge of the Tiger and Ninja Strikes Back, all starring Bruce Le

What are the best Bruce Lee films to get? I'm not really looking for hardcore stuff with him as a child actor, etc., and right now, I'll probably stick with R1 stuff.

If you picked up the ultimate collection & Enter The Dragon, then you have everything you need & everything that stars Bruce in an action role. There's the Game of Death rushes & some documentaries, which are nice to check out. And there is assorted training & interview footage, but no feature films.

littlefuzzy
I think that's pretty much it, I seem to recall a cheapie DVD in the early days of my collecting (back in 2000-2001), but it possibly could have been one of the imitators, instead.

Ya know, it might have actually been Fist of Fear, Touch of Death... That would explain why I got rid of it. :S

I hadn't realized that he actually had so few movies made before he died...

With all those titles you have, you don't seem like a newbie to me.

:nerd:

Pick these up if you can find them:

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=3044

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=3045

littlefuzzy

Well, until I snagged the "Ultimate Collection" about a month ago, I only had Enter the Dragon (and the laserdisc bio-pic.)

Are the bonus features on those two box sets the main reason you said to get them?

Guest WuxiaFan

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=3044

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=3045

Dragon,

I have the HKL 2-disc platinum editions of BB, FOF, WOD, and GOD. I've played the English dubbed audio, but do you know if those are the classic English dubs? It sounds like it to me. If not, which versions, if any, contain the classic English dub?

Dragon,

I have the HKL 2-disc platinum editions of BB, FOF, WOD, and GOD. I've played the English dubbed audio, but do you know if those are the classic English dubs? It sounds like it to me. If not, which versions, if any, contain the classic English dub?

These both contain the classic dubs. The Master Collection box set has the US releases, however, they are slightly cut. The HKL sets are uncut and have the complete commentaries by Bey Logan. TMC has only the doc, Bruce Lee, The Legend.

Btw, WuxiaFan, how's that HKL 2-disc Platinum WOTD? It went OOP before I could get my hands on it.

Guest WuxiaFan
These both contain the classic dubs. The Master Collection box set has the US releases, however, they are slightly cut. The HKL sets are uncut and have the complete commentaries by Bey Logan. TMC has only the doc, Bruce Lee, The Legend.

Btw, WuxiaFan, how's that HKL 2-disc Platinum WOTD? It went OOP before I could get my hands on it.

Dragon--It's absolutely AWESOME, and it's available here::)

http://chaos.com/product/way_of_the_dragon_602740_193143.html

I ordered this exact version from chaos.com last year. It's the HKL 2-disc Platinum verison distributed by Magna Pacific. The cover art is slightly different, but it is the HKL 2-disc Platinum series. Chaos.com is the only place I know of that is still selling HKL discs. They don't have the complete library, but they have most. Chaos is good, and the USD is strong against the AUD. The price will be in AUD, so go to XE.com and do the currency conversion so you can see how much your spending.:D

Archived