Killer Snakes

Tosh

Stuntman Jules

A disgusting and loathsome film. It is like a bad metal album: anti-everything and truly nihilistic in its beliefs.

It's misogynistic, generally misanthropic and incredibly cruel and mean-spirited. There's heinous animal cruelty on hand (the snake cast is actually burned in boxes with gasoline at the finale).

I think, along with Lost Souls and Kuei Chih-hung's later A Teenager's Nightmare, it's height/bottom of the Shaw Brothers exploitation film in terms of nastiness and generally viciousness. It's as bad as pretty much any Category III film from later on and these Shaw Brothers productions may have sewed the seeds that led to the Category III genre, since they have the same excessive violence, explicit and perverted sexuality and nihilistic world view. The Chinese often tell us that their exploitation films are no where near the brutality and perversion of Japan's, but they're wrong. This stuff is just as bad and in fact seems to throw you in even more.

Nonetheless, objectively it is a well made and powerfully gritty little film that enthralls you in its nastiness. It speaks to the primal jelly in all of us that loves sensationalism from the time the Romans used to sit in stone stadiums and watch gladiators decapitate each other to today's obsession with reality TV. This stuff does still entertain us all.

• Like 1

So it sounds like my kind of film. Just watched the trailer, certianly has a dark creepy sleazy feel to it. Shame about the snakes, I guess they were going for realism.

I have to say the cgi snake movies are the worst, I wanted to stab my eyes out watching snakes on a plane(it was a forced viewing), I grew up with the old killer bee/alligator in the sewer/spider movies, cgi has ruined these films, I'm sure the SB got this one.

SlothStyleKungFu

Wonderful piece of 70's sleaze horror. Lurid photography. Really creepy protagonist. Its basically an exploitative HK version of "Martin," just with more boobs & blood, and a snake instead of a rat.

Stuntman Jules
Wonderful piece of 70's sleaze horror. Lurid photography. Really creepy protagonist. Its basically an exploitative HK version of "Martin," just with more boobs & blood, and a snake instead of a rat.

Martin is George Romero's vampire flick, though the protagonist of that is not unlike the protagonist of Killer Snakes.

The film you're thinking of is Willard.

Quite a bit of footage from KILLER SNAKES was later re-used in the American film SERPENT WARRIORS (see cover here). The best print of KILLER SNAKES is probably the HK dvd as I hear the US print isn't nearly as good. What ever, stay clear of the SWV release which was cut (but had a cool cover). :D

SlothStyleKungFu
Martin is George Romero's vampire flick, though the protagonist of that is not unlike the protagonist of Killer Snakes.

The film you're thinking of is Willard.

D'oh. I know that. Me brain must not have been working that day ;)

DeathShrike
A disgusting and loathsome film. It is like a bad metal album: anti-everything and truly nihilistic in its beliefs.

You best ease up in your Metal bashing. I won't tolerate it. I won't have that piece of shit movie brought up in the same breath as The Metal.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Oh? So your a metal head? Do you know of the origins of the genre? Black Sabbath, Motorhead, King Crimson, ELP, and Yes aside as the obvious-Zeppelin's hard rock, i don't care what anyone says) the real heavy stuff- Venom, Necrovore, Dark Angel (darkness descends), Bathory (first three), Celtic Frost (first three and their advent Hellhammer), Jag Panzer (first two releases), Trouble, Merciful Fate, Manowar (first four), Destruction (first three albums), Death (the demos before their studio releases), Bulldozer, Nasty Savage, Slayer (old), Of Cabbages And Kings (first album), Possessed (first album), Voivod (first four albums), The Mind Parasites, Morbid Angel, Cirith Ungol, Metallica (first three), etc?

Man, I remember when these bands first started comng out. It was like a whole new scene in itself. It was great.

Killer Snakes sounds like a decent collection film. I'm gonna have to get it.

You best ease up in your Metal bashing. I won't tolerate it. I won't have that piece of shit movie brought up in the same breath as The Metal.

What piece of shit movie are you talking about? Killer Snakes?

It's because I've been listening to so much metal lately I want to see a dark creepy sleazy movieXD

The Silver Fox

Quote "You best ease up in your Metal bashing. I won't tolerate it. I won't have that piece of shit movie brought up in the same breath as The Metal."

He said it was like a 'bad' metal album, I don't think he was bashing the genre.

DeathShrike
Quote "You best ease up in your Metal bashing. I won't tolerate it. I won't have that piece of shit movie brought up in the same breath as The Metal."

He said it was like a 'bad' metal album, I don't think he was bashing the genre.

I know! I was just messin'. :D

DeathShrike
Oh? So your a metal head? Do you know of the origins of the genre? Black Sabbath, Motorhead, King Crimson, ELP, and Yes aside as the obvious-Zeppelin's hard rock, i don't care what anyone says) the real heavy stuff- Venom, Necrovore, Dark Angel (darkness descends), Bathory (first three), Celtic Frost (first three and their advent Hellhammer), Jag Panzer (first two releases), Trouble, Merciful Fate, Manowar (first four), Destruction (first three albums), Death (the demos before their studio releases), Bulldozer, Nasty Savage, Slayer (old), Of Cabbages And Kings (first album), Possessed (first album), Voivod (first four albums), The Mind Parasites, Morbid Angel, Cirith Ungol, Metallica (first three), etc?

Man, I remember when these bands first started comng out. It was like a whole new scene in itself. It was great.

Of the bands you mention, the ones that I have albums by are:

Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Venom, Dark Angel, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Merciful Fate, Death, Slayer, Possessed, Morbid Angel and Metallica.

My favorite band is Arch Enemy. Other favorites include: Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Angel Dust, Annihilator, Crematory, Dark Tranquillity, Entomed, Fear Factory, Gamma Ray, The Gathering, dead J-Rocker hide, Hypocrisy, In Flames (not the last two albums), Into Eternity, Iron Maiden (not the last two albums), Judas Priest (not the last 3 albums), Killswitch Engage, KMFDM, Lacuna Coil, Marilyn Manson, Ministry, Monster Magnet, Nightwish, Opeth, Rammstein, Rob Zombie, Sentenced, Skyclad, Soilwork, Sonata Arctica, Strapping Young Lad, Type O Negative, Unleashed, Within Temptation and X-Japan. Whew!

And yeah, I think Killer Snakes is really bad.

Stuntman Jules

Correct, I said bad metal, not good metal.

I like good metal. By bad metal, I was referring to that horrendous modern "grindcore/hardcore/whatevercore" crap that sounds like someone on a jackhammer while an immature psychopath screams into the mike about setting children on fire.

I have a similar relationship to metal as I do rap/hip-hop. It's far from my favorite kind of music, but I like the early stuff, however I don't like where its gone and detest many of its modern incarnations.

I do, however, feel the same as I do listening to most metal as I do watching an exploitation film like The Killer Snakes: satisfied but dirty.

That's why I love this site, we can derail a topic like no otherXD

I grew up to a lot of metal, Slayer was god, interesting a lot of these bands came out of Florida of all places, the sunshine state you would think would hardly be the place to find a death metal scene. Checkout my friends band Zoroastor if your into heavy music, they're just starting to get somewhere, touring nonstop. Heavy to me nowadays is stuff like Clutch, Deftones, Soulfly. I listen to a bit of everything, I'm all over the board with my music tastes.

So what are some great older insect/animal movies? I vaguely remember a spider movie back in the 70's?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
That's why I love this site, we can derail a topic like no otherXD So what are some great older insect/animal movies? I vaguely remember a spider movie back in the 70's?

KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS with William Shatner?

From the 70's I like the 2 (extremely loosely based on stories by ) H.G. Wells flicks- FOOD OF THE GODS and EMPIRE OF THE ANTS. There's also GRIZZLY, which has some really cool shit in it. My 8 year old heart almost stopped when I saw this with my Dad in 76! LOL Avoid FROGS- it sucks.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Haven't thought of that flick in decades!

Ugh, has it been "decades" ??

You bet. I saw it so long ago that it was a "double bill" (remember those old timer?) with EMPIRE OF THE ANTS! It was my first DB, and my Dad played a joke on me. Once the movie ended I started to get up, but my Dad said- completely straight-faced- "I really thought that was cool, but I feel like I want to see another movie right now. You know what? I'm not leaving until they show me another movie." and he crossed his arms and made a defiant face. I thought he was losing his mind! My Mom played along "Well, you know how stubborn your father can be." Then the next movie started. I looked at my father, totally startled, and Dad said "I guess they must have heard me"! LOL

When I see these films now, I realize just hom much my parents suffered to make me happy! LOL I'm guessing my Mom wasn't dying to see FOOD OF THE GODS! :P

Wow...def different flick. I have the R1 releaseso it is DARK (yes I mean lighting). I know much of it happens at night, and in "dark" areas, but man, a fair amount of the scenes are flat out hard to see much at all.

Movie was ok, but so far my least fave Shaw...though seeing the Shaw theater scene was kinda cool.

I will add the "flying snake" segements had me DYING with laughter :tongue::xd:

El Santo of "1000 Misspent Hours and Counting" posted his review here.

At the end of the review, he asks the open question: Did Hong Kong have a 70s sub-genre of modern, gritty Hong Kong movies that were filmed under a nice, thick layer of grime like Hollywood did with films like Taxi Driver and Frank Hennenlotter's films did? If so, what are some of the better examples?

• Like 3

On 10/1/2021 at 4:15 AM, DrNgor said:

El Santo of "1000 Misspent Hours and Counting" posted his review here.

At the end of the review, he asks the open question: Did Hong Kong have a 70s sub-genre of modern, gritty Hong Kong movies that were filmed under a nice, thick layer of grime like Hollywood did with films like Taxi Driver and Frank Hennenlotter's films did? If so, what are some of the better examples?

Not 70s, but I love Men from the Gutter (1983)!

The Criminals series should count as well, though I've only seen a few entries and can't remember which ones.

• Like 2