3 New Early Jackie DVD'S From HKL. A First Look.

Guest David G Rees

Guest chen lung

HKL must have either gone into the additional effort (!), or a bootlegger of some kind has gotten to it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest luckystars

In theory, HKL could have an uncut print on the way, or they thought they were going to get one, and submitted a shitty old (uncut) print to the bbfc in advance??

Guest chen lung
In theory, HKL could have an uncut print on the way, or they thought they were going to get one, and submitted a shitty old (uncut) print to the bbfc in advance??

The subtitled one is highly likely to be FS's Cantonese reissue version :) .

Guest killer meteor

According to Dave Foster of DVD Times, HKL's New Fist of Fury is 79min. That's 45min in PAL missing!

Guest spannick

so they got the "Remastered" Print by Fortune Star again, the cut-up crap. Germany is proud to have gotten it, too. and Japan. Thanks, Fortune Star!

Guest Markgway

HKL also have an English dubbed version that runs 105m but obviously no Cantonese track (like the 79m edit) to go with it. It's obviously still missing 8m (which, ironically, I think are included as an extra) but would have still been better than the Cantonese abridgement (as that's not even the correct language anyways). If my calculations are correct there's 27m of footage that isn't represented on the HKL disc in any form (feature or extras). Poor show. An uncut (boot) version was available on VHS in the UK in the late 90s.

Guest chen lung
HKL also have an English dubbed version that runs 105m but obviously no Cantonese track (like the 79m edit) to go with it.

Do you not mean a Mandarin track?

What puzzles me is what this 105 edit is if the 119 is uncut (providing Columbia is PAL>NTSC) and the Cantonese reissue is 79m...

so the OOP Columbia RC1 Disc remains the best - and quite acceptable - bet.

Yep :( .

Guest Markgway
Do you not mean a Mandarin track?

It SHOULD be Mandarin, but what I'm saying is that Fortune Star have given HKL a Cantonese dub for the 79m version only and not even for the 105m print, which probably didn't come from FS.

What puzzles me is what this 105 edit is if the 119 is uncut (providing Columbia is PAL>NTSC) and the Cantonese reissue is 79m...

I think Eastern Heroes' DVD was 105m. Missing 8-9m of footage.

Guest killer meteor

The Eastern Heroes was missing all the pre-credit scene, along with Jackie being tended to by a doctor, and the Japanese banquet prior to Chen Sing's arrival.

I suspect HKL sourced the opening from Eastern Heroes's reissue, which is the same source as the Columbia

Guest chen lung
I suspect HKL sourced the opening from Eastern Heroes's reissue, which is the same source as the Columbia

The Japanese DVD included the alternative opening so it's Fortune Star that gave it to HKL.

What exactly was cut from the Columbia DVD? The credits sequence was from Jimmy Shaw I think. Only the Eastern Heroes DVD maintains the original 1976 credits sequence (and in a misrepresented 2:35:1>4:3 anamorphic widescreen too).

Guest dager in the cotton

just wathced HKL's WOoden men and Snake and Crane,

worst sound , the Mandarin track was about 2 octives to high

and sounded like it was mixed in a cement mixer, wooden men no mandarin and alo badly mixed, both the english tracks were dull sounding .

whats the point in having crisp picture with shite sound

they went out their way to F--k em up, Why?

my advice avoid em .

Guest chen lung
worst sound , the Mandarin track was about 2 octives to high

PAL is roughly an octive higher than NTSC, but are you sure 2 octives?

Archived