Flying Guillotine vs. Master of the Flying Guillotine

DeathFuMaster

DeathFuMaster

I recently discovered that these were completely different movies sharing only a common weapon...Im dumb I know, but with all the akas around today you never know.

Anyway which one of these movies do you like the best? Any other good Flying Guillotine films?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Flying Guillotine' employs a love story amongst the main plot of many guillotine-wielding experts after our protagonist, where as 'Master Of The Flying Guillotine' flows up the weapon with a one-man war against a particular Ching-rebelling individual - featuring more hand-to-hand combat and a tournament with many fighters elsewhere (I believe it's similar to 'One Armed Boxer' tournament-wise, though I haven't seen that movie).

See both, there's never a better between movies really I suppose ;).

The Flying Guillotine is a Shaw brothers classic, one of Chen Kuan Tai's best storyline driven roles. "Master" is a fun unrelated film, memorable for its characters and tournament scenes.

DeathFuMaster

I have bought both and am patiently awaiting them to come. Hope to get One Armed Boxer at some point also.

I've never liked Blindman Guillotine probably because it came on TV too much. SB Guillotine is the ish, love story or not. I liked the whole dynamic between Ku Feng, Chen Kuan Tai, Frankie Wei, and the Emperor. Chen Kuan Tai plays that "man on the run" role well. I just can't get into Wang Yu movies. They're a bit too old for me. And to top it off, everyone had a guillotine in SB vs just the one in non-SB.

Like them both. Master more gritty and unpolished, more rock & roll a flick.

SBs win on guillotine design though. That red foldable umbrella look in Master doesn't quite cut it...

fg4.jpg

fg5.jpg

fg16.jpg

Chen Kuan Tai vs Kam Kong? Both men wield it like a motherfucker.

fg18.jpg

guillotine2.jpg

'Flying Guillotine 2' is alright, bit messy but lots going on, not quite up there with the above two imo. 'Vengeful Beauty' is a riff on the flying g theme, using guillotine footage from the first Shaw film in its action sequences, making it's B-grade status more obvious, but you get some funky exploitational schlock, a topless chick fight & whatnot... 'Fatal Flying Guillotines' - I like it, Chen Sing weilding two of them flying bastards.

DeathFuMaster

I may check out Fatal Flying Guillotines and mabey Vengeful Beauty for the topless chick fight lol.

shaolinkng7
Any other good Flying Guillotine films?

"The Heroic Trio" is a good comic book G&G movie. Anthony Wong plays a mute character who works for an evil Eunuch and uses a flying guillotine. And it all takes place in the future.

The Flying Guillotine is a Shaw brothers classic, one of Chen Kuan Tai's best storyline driven roles. "Master" is a fun unrelated film, memorable for its characters and tournament scenes.

Yeah I agree, you could put FG up there with any of the Shaw classics, the best part of master was the masterotFG and the crazy theme sound they played everytime he come walking in.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Yeah I agree, you could put FG up there with any of the Shaw classics, the best part of master was the masterotFG and the crazy theme sound they played everytime he come walking in.

Kam Kong is great in that film. Up there with Iron Monkey IMO.

'Fatal Flying Guillotines' - I like it, Chen Sing weilding two of them flying bastards.

Ah yes, the Carter Wong one where he ventures into a volcanic valley and the flying guillotines were big bell-shaped things. When Chen Sing presented them, the blades spun around if I remember right.

For me though, I have to go with Master because of the atmosphere. Flying Guillotine is a great movie in it's own right as it's more of a straight-up kung fu story centered around an incredible weapon. But in Master, you got this sense of total badassery as he's the only one that has one and virtually unstoppable. The way Wang Yu deals with it also helps out. Then, it's all topped off by the people in the tournament.

Stuntman Jules

I definitely prefer Master.

There's no denying that The Flying Guillotine has superior production values over Master, even if it the sets are better, the Shaw Brothers sets and very patented aesthetic can get old and restrictive. For a movie about a device that decapitates people and has to be hurled at its target with precision accuracy directed by the master of Shaw bizarro world madness Ho Meng Hua, The Flying Guillotine is a damn boring film with little martial arts action.

The Master of the Flying Guillotine, on the other hand, is probably my favorite "old school" 70s martial arts film ever made. Even if I think a lot of Hong Kong MA films are poorly produced with sloppy use of the camera's lenses, this one is so badass, fun and has such hysterically great action it more than makes up for it with a rip-roaring fight every five minutes. Jimmy Wang Yu was truly the Orson Welles of sleazy chop-socky and this is the Citizen Kane of the genre, at least in my opinion.

Flying Guillotine for me.

Master is entertaining but a tad dumb.

And I've got to admit, that I prefer the SB film in terms of atmosphere as well.

I don't deny that the blind master in Master of the Flying Guillotine is an incredibly impressive, formidable antagonist, but I prefer the drama and the depressing tone of Ho Meng Hua's film to the somewhat slasher-like vibe of the Master.

But even though I prefer The Flying Guillotine (and perhaps - maybe - even Flying Guillotine 2), I still liked Master a lot.

Flying Guillotine for me.

Master is entertaining but a tad dumb.

And I've got to admit, that I prefer the SB film in terms of atmosphere as well.

I don't deny that the blind master in Master of the Flying Guillotine is an incredibly impressive, formidable antagonist, but I prefer the drama and the depressing tone of Ho Meng Hua's film to the somewhat slasher-like vibe of the Master.

But even though I prefer The Flying Guillotine (and perhaps - maybe - even Flying Guillotine 2), I still liked Master a lot.

I agree with that, FG has a very serious tense tone throughout, more of an "edge of your seat" film, Chen Kuan Tai has a lot of charisma and was the perfect actor for the part. Part 2 reminds me more of a clan movie, Ti Lung did a great job taking over.

I have to say though MotFG is one to show people unfamilair with KF, it's a great fun drunken Saturday afternoon movie to watch with a bunch of friends, if you can talk them into watching it:angel:

Archived