ONG BAK 2 is too cartoony

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I MEANT TO CARTOONISH.

I saw Ong Bok II and was mainly disappointed.

I love the story line and so on.

My problem with the movie is the action. I did not like the way the director edited and filmed virtually all of the action scenes.

To choppy and way to CARTOONY.

Tony Jaa is a remarkable presence and deserves better.

Have him film with old boys of the classic kung fu era then I may be pleased by what I see.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, except he directed 90% of the movie himself. I thought the action direction was the least of it's problems. If you want cartoony, check out the overrated Ip Man. I mean, come on, the scene where he fights against Fan Siu Wong's sword using only a feather duster was almost tom & jerry. But 'cos it's Donnie Yen, he gets a pass.

DeathFuMaster

Ong Bak 2 was amazing...While some of the stuff was a bit fantasy based, the dark gritty stuff was great throughout. If Ong Bak 2 is "cartoony" then the world is really going to hell...lol.

I actually found the story trite but LOVED every second of the action. There was some stuff done there that I haven't seen done for years. They must have worked so hard to bring that level of choreography to the screen. I can't think of another MA arts movie in recent years that had that degree of fight action. It made recent HK movies seem lazy by comparision.

I, too, laughed at Ip Man. Not only this pseudo-biopic showed him almost like a God-like figure , the action relied on wires way too much. Everybody was defying gravity and laws of physics. Ong Bak 2, on the other hand was a great display of all kind of styles. Not only that, the swordplay and weapons were some of the best I've ever seen - very fast and natural. I thought that action was shot very good. Also, Tony credited for choreo, which means, he can be a really, really good choreographer. I can complain about the movie, but not the fights

I mean, come on, the scene where he fights against Fan Siu Wong's sword using only a feather duster was almost tom & jerry. But 'cos it's Donnie Yen, he gets a pass.

that happens in like every martial arts movie dude.

DeathFuMaster

Yeah it was probably just a little comedy thrown in to break up an otherwise serious and dark film.

I liked that duster scene, the old humiliate them with skill & whatever household item's at hand routine. You ever get poked in the armpit, in the place he gets Fan Siu? A surprisingly effective disabler. Plus it set up his factory scene later in the film with that bamboo pole; essentially a bigger version of the earlier setpiece.

I need to stop posting about other films in Ong Bak 2 threads & get on a copy; too much anticipation... Wish they'd hurry that HK release along or something.

DeathFuMaster

You wont be disappointed when you get it, Tony Jaa+Drunken Boxing=Awesome and the rest of the movie aint half bad either lol. The only bad point is that it ends all of a sudden without any explanation or real resolution.

To me the 2 movies (Ong Bak 2 and Ip Man) had their flaws.Both to me were great,but Ong Bak relied on alot of slo mo action and Ip Man, wirefu.In terms of story, I give Ip Man the edge over OB2 because it had an actually good story and I was rooting for him against the Japanese.Also, I can "feel his pain" just wanting to practice with the guys and his wife giving him disapproving looks because he should be spending time with his family instead.I also hated the fact that I guessed who the masked assassin was in OB2before they showed his face.Both movies were fantastic,you just have to take the good with the bad.I didn't here anyone complain about too much wire work in THE classic, "Fist of Legend".

lillippa328

^ nice... i loved both Ip Man and Ong Bak 2....

shit, what do yall people expect? Its 2009, appreciate the good ones that we get!

hey, can some1 please please tell me how long Ong Bak 2 is!!?! My version is 96 minutes, but i read online that its 110....is mine cut!??!!!

I, too, laughed at Ip Man. Not only this pseudo-biopic showed him almost like a God-like figure , the action relied on wires way too much. Everybody was defying gravity and laws of physics. Ong Bak 2, on the other hand was a great display of all kind of styles. Not only that, the swordplay and weapons were some of the best I've ever seen - very fast and natural. I thought that action was shot very good. Also, Tony credited for choreo, which means, he can be a really, really good choreographer. I can complain about the movie, but not the fights

You guys have really got it sussed out! You have demonstrated good kung analytical skills. I thought everyone would be fooled into thinking it was the greatest martial arts film ever made--almost god like--yet I am surprised you are able to see through Ip Man. Plus, most people round here also understand what makes Ong Bak 2's fights worthy of viewing. That's not to say Ip Man is a bad film. They are both better than Crouching Tiger, and I'm glad to see Kung Fu Movies are back on the right path of production--Old School style!

You wont be disappointed when you get it, Tony Jaa+Drunken Boxing=Awesome and the rest of the movie aint half bad either lol. The only bad point is that it ends all of a sudden without any explanation or real resolution.

I interpret that as a positive, mate! After the amazing end sequence based around the elephant, the cast and crew probably thought "Forget about trying to finish Ong Bak 2 properly. Just wrap it up quickly now that the end fight is over, so we can begin the sequel."

This is almost like a perfect scenario for us kung fans! Its all about Ong Bak 3...I look forward to it.

I certainly didn't see it as cartoony, I'll admit I wasn't expecting the fantasy elements in there but even then it wasn't to over the top to be considered cartoon like.

I haven't seen IP Man but the use of wires in it already puts me off, it was a major problem I had with Fearless (it was even worse with blantant cgi, thought I was watching spiderman for a minute). I feel it wasn't needed, after all these were somewhat real stories about real men, why not keep it grounded in reality.

I need to give Ong Bak 2 another watch before I come to my conclusion on the fantasy elements, the thing I love about the old Shaw Wuxia/fantasy is they went all out with it, you knew what your were getting into from the start, the cave woman somewhat threw me off.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Stick to my guns.

What do you expect in 2009?

Was not the movie made in 2008.

I expect good kung fu and then some!

GD Y-Y

DeathFuMaster
I certainly didn't see it as cartoony, I'll admit I wasn't expecting the fantasy elements in there but even then it wasn't to over the top to be considered cartoon like.

I haven't seen IP Man but the use of wires in it already puts me off, it was a major problem I had with Fearless (it was even worse with blantant cgi, thought I was watching spiderman for a minute). I feel it wasn't needed, after all these were somewhat real stories about real men, why not keep it grounded in reality.

I need to give Ong Bak 2 another watch before I come to my conclusion on the fantasy elements, the thing I love about the old Shaw Wuxia/fantasy is they went all out with it, you knew what your were getting into from the start, the cave woman somewhat threw me off.

Yeah the vampire woman or whatever made me laugh....Also didn't he shoot fire out of his hand at one point?? I think I remember it happening when he tried to kill the main bad guy the first time when he was disguised...I could have just imagined it.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Yeah the vampire woman or whatever made me laugh....Also didn't he shoot fire out of his hand at one point?? I think I remember it happening when he tried to kill the main bad guy the first time when he was disguised...I could have just imagined it.

Remember he learned how to do magic tricks and grew up with an explosives expert among his peers. So he incorporated slight of hand into his attacks. A little gun or flash powder in the face of an adversary goes a long way towards distracting them! XD

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.550457/aid.85597/qx/details.htm

This DVD is labeled as Region-3, but is actually all region. The English subtitles are not advertised on the case, and are not available in the menu. To access them, you must use your remote while the movie is playing. We have manually confirmed that the subtitles are of excellent quality.

Finally a chance to get the movie and not give that Jackass Stiller or Red Sun any damn money. It's only 12.95 USD. I'm so happy it's out and subbed now. I can't wait to see it!

This DVD is labeled as Region-3, but is actually all region. The English subtitles are not advertised on the case, and are not available in the menu. To access them, you must use your remote while the movie is playing. We have manually confirmed that the subtitles are of excellent quality.

a pirated copy, most likely.

Kung Foolery

Is it impossible for someone to make a film with a GREAT story, NO wires, and SOLID martial arts?

Let's get a movie with solid production values, great performances, sweet martial arts, and NO WIRES!!

Are there really fans out there demanding their martial arts movies, INSIST their martial arts movies, have wires?

Is it that hard? Why two but not the other two? Or why one but not the other three? Or why three but not the other one?

Arrrgh!!

Don't get me wrong, I like all these flicks. But its always just one thing holding them back from becoming THE movie.

a pirated copy, most likely.

Nope, most Malaysian DVDs are Region Free and always have English subtitles. It's the new Hong Kong in terms of how to get Japanese and Korean films legit and cheaper.

Archived