The Shaolin Temple Trilogy - Shaolin Temple (1982)/Kids from Shaolin (1984)/Martial Arts of Shaolin (1986)

Guest aliu321

The third is called "Martial Arts from Shaolin." As far as I can remember, "Kids from SHaolin" is a sequel, yes, but it doesn't have the same characters in it.

Someone may correct me here but I believe the first and third outings do have the same characters.

It's been a while since I've watched them.

By the way, does anyone else feel the choreography in the "Shaolin Temple" movies is vastly underrated?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, go for Shaolin Temple and Martial Arts of Shaolin. Martial Arts I have on dvd from Eastern Heroes, not bad, with both English and Cantonese versions (cover says Mandarin though). Kids from Shaolin has kids and humour...

Killer Meteor

Haven't seen Martial Arts but the other two films aren't connected. The whole Shaolin Temple series was I think done after the fact by a UK distributor

First film was good, the second was rather painful

silver hermit
The third is called "Martial Arts from Shaolin." As far as I can remember, "Kids from SHaolin" is a sequel, yes, but it doesn't have the same characters in it.

Someone may correct me here but I believe the first and third outings do have the same characters.

It's been a while since I've watched them.

By the way, does anyone else feel the choreography in the "Shaolin Temple" movies is vastly underrated?

jet li says there was no action director and they did their own action it makes it that much better

I'm surprised not many people in the thread are familiar with Martial Arts of the Shaolin Temple, I believe it was Li's only collaboration with Shaw Bros and it's directed/choreographed by Lau Kar-Leung. It's far superior to the other 2 entries in the series, near classic in my eyes

Guest Yi-Long

It's a nice trilogy. Personally, I prefer the first one over the other 2.

Kids from Shaolin I didnt really care much for, but that was mainly because of the bad dub. When I saw a chinese version with english subs, I liked it a lot more. Also, the girl in it is gorgeous :)

MAoS is nice, certainly has some great action, but TBH I couldnt really care about the story or characters, and the 'humour', like Jet in 'drag', I could have done without. I should probably watch it again, but it's a bit hard to get motivated to do so.

sonnychibaidol

Jet Li really showed his abilities well in the set of 3 movies all done within the 1980s. These are: Shaolin Temple, Kids From Shaolin, and Martial Arts of Shaolin respectively.

It is a pity that Bey Logan and the crew behind the Hong Kong Legends DVD films never considered making special editions of these films. It would have been wonderful to see all 3 movies in their original Mandarin language with English subtitles along with any interviews with the stars as well as any commentaries by either Bey Logan or directors involved.

I hope Dragon Dynasty DVD company considers this carefully.

Any thoughts anyone?

DeathFuMaster

Well the first one was superb!!! The second I liked, but was nowhere near the level of the first. The third one I havent seen...Someone gave me a copy but the subtitles were cut off, so I stopped it. Any recommendations for a NTSC Dubbed Dvd of Martial Arts of Shaolin?

You can get a remastered english sub version of Martial Arts of Shaolin from IVL, part of their SB remastered series. Well worth finding as it's directed by the legendary Lau Kar-leung. My favourite is actually the second movie. All the singing gave me a kind nice, warm Come Drink With Me-type buzz.

DeathFuMaster

Im pretty sure that the US aka for Martail Arts of Shaolin is North and South Shaolin, is this correct?

Yep, it sure is. BTW, I think I also had that copy of the movie. Subs are burned-in and dissappear at the edges. I think it was released by brentwood, who should be ashamed.

have only seen the second one, have gotten a great print of that movie :)

the others i haven't seen, which are the versions to get? no eng dubbed ones...

lillippa328

Shaolin Temple and Kids from Shaolin were both great....i havnt seen MA from Shaolin tho i really want too....

And Kids from Shaolin feels like the little rascals meets kung fu

which are the versions to get? no eng dubbed ones...

Mei Ah released the first two Digitally Remastered and the thrid one was released by Celestial as part of their Shaw Bros releases.

You can get all 3 from DDDHouse

Eastern Heroes released all 3 English dubbed on DVD in the UK.

butcher wing

I loved the first and third of this series, did not really like the second, kids from shaolin . The fight between the little boys and little girls I think was the highlight of the movie. But 2 grown men in the middle of nowhere taken care of some little kids was a little weird. But on a whole the series is worth having and watching.

first one is pretty good, second one was meh (too cutesy), third is classic and is easily in the top 3 of jet's career. The ending of it, starting with the attack on the barge and culminating with the battle between the villain and jet's sifu is just incredible.

Martial Arts from Shaolin from Eastern Heroes: box says Mandarin, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it's in Cantonese...

Archived