The Shaolin Temple Trilogy - Shaolin Temple (1982)/Kids from Shaolin (1984)/Martial Arts of Shaolin (1986)

Guest aliu321

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks for uploading the video! I love the part in winter with the spear. Does anyone one know if Hu Jian did any other films? I saw he was in Yellow River Fighter, but i'd like to get more of his films.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to go with Martial Arts of Shaolin. I loved the first two but the choreography seemed to wushu performance-esque for more liking. The third had the style of the first two but seemed more fighting oriented. I would have to say it was because it was choreographed by Lau Kar Leung.

I remember reading Jet Li's bio and he stated that Martial Arts of Shaolin was his worst movie performance by far, and almost decided not to do movies anymore cause he dreaded doing it so much.

At least the movie came out great! :)

Guest Endsang
the best fight in the third one imo is the calligraphy fight, brilliant coreography!

I second that! Sometimes I put on the DVD just to see that scene.

Kids from Shaolin was a bit silly, but I loved the displays of shaolin staff and wu tang sword.

...and Huang Qiu Yan was super hot in it! RAWR! :D

As for the fight choreography in the three movies, my overall impression was that it was a bit too much like a wushu performance at times, but I was probably just a bit overloaded since I saw all 3 in a row. My favorite scene from Shaolin Temple is probably Jet Li training with all the various weapons.. incredibly skilled.

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe that training scene rocked! I loved the fights, the worst offender of too much of a wushu show goes to Young Hero of Shaolin! It's an ok film(s)(sequel which isn't great) but sometimes it's just like watching a wushu contest.

Yhe that training scene rocked! I loved the fights, the worst offender of too much of a wushu show goes to Young Hero of Shaolin! It's an ok film(s)(sequel which isn't great) but sometimes it's just like watching a wushu contest.

Now I don't know if someone's mentioned this, but personally one scene that stuck out in my mind was from the first Shaolin Temple flick. The four seasons training sequence! CLASSIC AS THEY COME!

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe that scene is amazing, the drunken fight in the first one wasn't as good as it could of been IMO, but the orther guy doing drunken pole was the shit!

Yhe that scene is amazing, the drunken fight in the first one wasn't as good as it could of been IMO, but the orther guy doing drunken pole was the shit!

I've look on HKFlix a bunch of times for DVD releases. Which one for the remastered version of Shaolin Temple would you suggest?

I always thought that Mantis was the funniest looking Kung Fu style! :D Just the way the hand it curled, it seems to be more about showmanship than actual damage. Yet, very intricate! It makes for an interesting watching experience.

655px-Mantis_fist_comparison.JPG

Guest Drunken Monk

Funny enough I just watched the second outing last night. While I think it's a great little movie I don't think it's as good as the first or second. I can't help but think the action in is a little too "showy" if you now what I mean. It seems less powerful and more of a performance. This isn't to say I don't love it though.

The three person three-sectioned-staff fight alone is worth the purchase.

Guest will91XingYu

Definatley thats an awesome fight, for me Huo Jie the young guy with the long hair at the end who fights the dude with one eye, some of the stuff he was doing was pretty incredible had a few Tony Jaa moments in there, espeacilly the elbo stunt and the really acrobatic kicks he did.

Now, I have an interesting question for you guys! Which is better, The Shaolin Temple or Kids from Shaolin? That's a rough choice, I enjoy The Shaolin Temple a little more, I mean come on, you meet everyone for the first time!

But that really hurts me to even say that, I like them both almost equally!! :(

Guest Morgoth
Now, I have an interesting question for you guys! Which is better, The Shaolin Temple or Kids from Shaolin? That's a rough choice, I enjoy The Shaolin Temple a little more, I mean come on, you meet everyone for the first time!

But that really hurts me to even say that, I like them both almost equally!! :(

Kids From Shaolin for me. I love a good comedy, and the end fight is off the hook!

Gotta be Shaolin Temple for me, it's got everything..Superb displays of Wushu wizardry, awesome weapons work, gorgeous scenery and that rousing theme song sung by a bunch of opera-ish singers that makes me wanna shave my head, buy a 3 setion staff and join a temple everytime I hear it!!!!!!!:D

Guest will91XingYu

It's close but for me it's Kids of Shaolin. I liked the bad guys in it, and all the fights in it are great, but the end fight is one of the best in the series.

Archived