The Shaolin Temple Trilogy - Shaolin Temple (1982)/Kids from Shaolin (1984)/Martial Arts of Shaolin (1986)

Guest aliu321

Guest aliu321

I wanted to check out Jet Li's earlier film. I haven't seen the Shaolin Temple films, that is I, II, and III.

Which one is the best overall film (story, acting, fights)?

Just to give you an idea of my taste, my favorite samurai film is Masaki Kobayashi's Seppuku. But I enjoy Shaw Brother's stuff like One-armed Swordsman as well.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

i havent seen shaolin temple 2, but between 1 and 3, my vote goes definetely to 3.

why? cuz of Lau Kar Leung's sharp direction and fight choreography. story is pretty cliche, but i love the scenery.

My local bootleg joint has all 3 on one dvd. These were some of the first kung fu movies I'd seen. 3 is a well made movie, but I really dug the first 2. 2 had this crazy cartoon at the begining (if I remember right) There was also a really cute girl in 2. My vote will go 1-2-3.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

All are worth a watch. I liked part 1 the best, then 3 and 2. All have great fight scenes. Part 2 is a FF to action scenes kinda film. The non-fighting moments of pt.2 are painfull to watch. I liked pt.1 a little bit more than 3 because it just seemed like Jet's absolute best physical performance. 3 is still a must own as well.

Guest Markgway

They're thematically and stylistically similar, but have no story or character connection. The third one was made by a different director, production company.

Guest Yi Long

I always felt PT2 was seriously CRAP, and never really liked it much besides the fightscenes.

UNTILL... I watched the movie in it's original language, instead of the shitty dub. That made me like it ALOT more.

I like pt. 1 alot. I've also seen pt. 3, felt the action was very good, but have only seen it once, so not sure if it's better then pt.1 yet.

Guest kungfusamurai

If you're looking for the film with the most action, the third is the best. I liked number 2 because of the overall story, which builds up to a great finale. I've seen the first film a couple of times, and have had trouble warming up to it for some reason. I don't think it's bad or anything, just not my film of choice if I had to pick one out of the three to watch first.

KFS

Guest JeePrahm

I thought #2 was delightful and charming and a nice break from vengence stories and monks in training montages, which I like very much! I can't decide what I like more #1 or #3... But I think #2 is in a different... genre almost.

Speaking of #2, excuse me for coopting this thread... but are there any other similarly charming films as Kids of Shaolin? Musical numbers are a bonus, somewhat fantasy can be good, humor of course is necessary, I like movies that take place many years ago generally.. I need some flicks that I can watch with young kids or girlfriend... ya know?

Funny this is my first post here, heh. I mostly like hardcore nonstop kung fu action! I swear!

-JP

Guest Chen Zhen

well if ur looking for other movies with lots of kids, u can try Little Drunken Masters...but be warned theres VERY little action in it, and i found it really boring overall.

Speaking of #2, excuse me for coopting this thread... but are there any other similarly charming films as Kids of Shaolin? Musical numbers are a bonus, somewhat fantasy can be good, humor of course is necessary, I like movies that take place many years ago generally.. I need some flicks that I can watch with young kids or girlfriend... ya know?

You'll have to go back to some of the Shaw films in the 60's, "Come Drink with Me" comes to mind right off the bat, there's a very cool musical scene with Yueh Hua and a bunch of orphans, the violence is toned for the kids, and there's usually beatiful cinematography and love stories for your girl.

Guest will91XingYu

I just finished watching the first Shaolin Temple, and wow what a great trilogy! I had bought Martial arts of shaolin (lau kar leung did the action coreography), then i got Kids from Shaolin which was sublime and then this, i can't decide which one is the best! This series of films were the first real martial arts films made in the mainland, the films cast is made up of real wushu artists, also two japanese kendo artists assisted in the action direction. This was Jet Li's first film, i undertand that this was the first ma film from the mainland as they had been band by Mao i think, can anyone back me up lol? I just wanted to hear your opinions on this series, i think overall i like the second one best cos it has good comedy and the end fight is out of this world.

thanks, will

Guest Morgoth

I would have to go with part 2 for the same reasons as you. Martial Arts of Shaolin didn't do it for me (needed more mantis), but I liked Shaolin Temple. Other than Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2 and the Shaolin Temple movies, you never get to see a carefree Jet Li.

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe i totally agree with you about Martial arts of Shaolin. Yu Hai is totally underated, his mantis is soff the scale, also Hu Jian is a mental martial artist, his kicks are awesome and his staff work is great.

I think the 1st movie is the best of the trilogy, i didn't like the 2nd film at all & although the 3rd part is decent enough it never had the same impact on me as the original.

5 Element Boxer

Martial Arts of Shaolin is the best in the series for me. The fight choreography by Lau Kar Leung was excellent. Yu Hai's Mantis Fist was the best I've ever seen on screen. And Yu Cheng Hui's swordplay was fantastic. The story and acting wasn't that great though. I just enjoyed the choreography in the training and fight sequences.

Shaolin Temple had a good story and top notch choreography too though. And it's one of Jet Li's better films, in my opinion.

Guest shaolinblade

The first Shaolin Temple is awesome, my favourite part is the 4 seasons where Jet Li uses different weapons, truely amazing skill. :D

8gWI8d99ovs

Archived