Bruce Lee's "Enter The Dragon" Final Fight Scene

daisho2004

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bamboo spear

I'm not arguing, but I never got Enter the Dragon that much, although I can see how it must have impacted American audiences when it came out. I always thought Bruce versus the Japanese school (the final duel) was Bruce's best work, possibly tied with the Game of Death Pagoda.

Guest WuxiaFan
This is By Far the Greatest Fight Scene in Martial Arts Movies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XsAYrmc8Po

I would say ONE of his greatest. I was just watching FIST OF FURY last night and still my favorite fight scene, one that would also be considered his best if not of the greatest of all time, was the initial fight scene at the Japanese school. It's just amazing, not matter how times I watch it -

from "...It'll just take me to show you..." to

"Now I'll only say this one time...we are not sick men."

[i was watching the classic dub:D]

I think his best 1 - 1 fight is with Chuck Norris in WOD. That fight truly shows his skill, as well has his martial chivalry he showed toward his opponent(covering Chuck up before walking away).

karaokequeen

The fatal flaw in this scene is when Han retreats into his hall of mirrors.

In here, we see a confused Bruce, and a confident Han.

Apart from Han holding the element of surprise, there is an instance where Han stealthily creeps behind an unguarded Bruce and slashes at his back with his razor-like fingers.

In the time it takes Bruce to twirl around, Han has not only the time to vanish, but later, Bruce leans his bloodied back against the mirrored wall - and leaves a trickle of blood behind him. - P*SH!!!!

Apart from being one of the Shoalin temple's most proficient students and the most evil being in the universe (apart from Darth Vader and Davros- obviously), why doesn't Han just punch Bruce forcefully in the back and puncture his lung, liver, heart or kidney?

Even if he did not kill our hero with such a stabbing, it would have certainly left him seriously maimed or critically wounded.

I wonder if Bruce would have recovered from that sort of injury - or because the blades were made from steel rather than kryptonite - if he would have survived to fight on?

I think his best 1 - 1 fight is with Chuck Norris in WOD. That fight truly shows his skill, as well has his martial chivalry he showed toward his opponent(covering Chuck up before walking away).

Maybe, however, upon further viewings, check out the fight between Bruce and Bob Baker in Fist of Fury. That is one of the most well choreographed, timed, scored, paced, fights of all-time. By the time it's over, the viewer is left knowing, there's absolutely no chance for the Japanese leader at the end... and He knows it too!

Killer Meteor

Its an interesting fight first time round but because of the lack of honest to goodness fighting, it can be a little tiresome next time round

I really like Bruce vs. Han Ying Cheih in The Big Boss. It's more neck and neck then usual, and has a wonderfully gory denouement!

Maybe, however, upon further viewings, check out the fight between Bruce and Bob Baker in Fist of Fury. That is one of the most well choreographed, timed, scored, paced, fights of all-time. By the time it's over, the viewer is left knowing, there's absolutely no chance for the Japanese leader at the end... and He knows it too!

couldnt of said this better myself :D after this fight then its the battle between chuck and bruce for me

Maybe, however, upon further viewings, check out the fight between Bruce and Bob Baker in Fist of Fury.

i like that scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_AJTgxBqpg.

and, incidentally, i first read the above sentence as "... between Bruce and Bob Barker in the Fist of Fury". i'm quite certain the retired game show host didn't entertain any fisticuffs with Lee ;-)

Also the fight with Chi Hon Jae in GOD was not bad either. The graplling and throws/take downs were splendid, especially against Chieh Yuen. (Who I truly believe was subbed by Chi's "real life" student, Wong Ing Sik).

In fact, that may very well have been Bruce's best piece of choreography of other MA's besides himself.

JimboTheVampireSlayer

I dislike the final fight, as I feel he wasn't given an opponent that couldn't come close to holding his own. I'd much rather have seen him take on Bolo, and then finish Han off quickly (like Kiss of the Dragon or Fist of Fury).

As for the fight you linked us to, which is actually the cavern fight, I actually really enjoyed that one. My only gripe is the camera work during some parts, where you can barely see Bruce's assailants.

My favourite fight in that film, however, is his fight with Robert Wall/O'Hara; it's just unfortunate that he used a stunt double for the flash kick (the backflip kick).

... As for the fight you linked us to, which is actually the cavern fight, I actually really enjoyed that one. My only gripe is the camera work during some parts, where you can barely see Bruce's assailants.

That was done by design. It was Lee's idea to capture the action at closer angles because he was conveying his "acting" through his physical and facial expressions. He believed the international audiences wouldn't be as concerned with techniques as were HK audiences. He was selling the action, not the stuntmen. Plus he was able to hide the repetition of stuntmen in scenes.

However, his final filmed action sequence, with Sammo during the opening of ETD, along with his battle with Bob Wall, displayed his interest in using acrobatics more to enhance the action. The camera angles were quite tight in those as well.

Archived