Knockabout (1979)

Guest teako170

Then 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN must have a pace issue if not more of & again the Japanese version has different music. But I personally don't see the pace issue as I also watch KNOCKABOUT with that intro before.

Nah, 36th's Chamber's seems OK, especially since it uses the main theme music from the movie.

It is kind of a tease though, since it takes almost 80% of the film's running time before you see much decent kung fu.

Stills of the promo were displayed in some of the promotional materials for the Chinese and Japanese markets.

D37sedeUUAMEOgN.jpg.b6d9c1206b8b4f41fae6968f225665c6.jpg

EcJ1JzbU8AUL9FU.thumb.jpg.4da7c626db440a07211df73b512e492f.jpg

Speaking of promo, the Game of Death photo in the above booklet, and the below newspaper advertisement confirmed my theory that Yuen Wah was snubbed in favour of Yuen Biao when it came to doubling Bruce Lee in Game of Death. By having Biao as Bruce's double, it would make for great publicity when the time came to having his own star vehicle.

FWyxX8QagAA0HaE.jpg.0cc6d9d3239cc76b30599179fe5f02ae.jpg

• Like 4

Graeme Of Death

Knockabout on blu ray from Eureka.

Not seen this one in years. I'd say almost as good as I remember it being first time I watched it. It does drag on a fair bit at the beginning with the usual shitey comedy of Yuen Biao and Leung Kar Yan trying to con everyone. However, once Lau Kar Wing comes into and his secret is revealed it's pretty much just an absolute masterclass from Yuen Biao.

I watched the extended HK cut or whatever the longer cut is on the Eureka blu ray, I'm wondering if my old Hong Kong Legends DVD was a shorter version and that's why this one seemed to drag a bit at the start.

8/10 film for me.

Sammo's choreography and the things Yuen Biao is able to do is just amazing. No greater team in my opinion.

• Like 5

Omni Dragon
11 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

I watched the extended HK cut or whatever the longer cut is on the Eureka blu ray, I'm wondering if my old Hong Kong Legends DVD was a shorter version and that's why this one seemed to drag a bit at the start.

There both the uncut version.

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

What a classic, wonderful action, and some of the comedy is actually funny.  I remember when I saw it for the first time I was really shocked

Spoiler

when Lau Kar Wing turned out to be a villain, although when he crushed Beardy's jade ring which was obviously his only possession apart from the clothes he wore, it already gave a hint about his ruthlessness. I don't think there are many movies where pupils have to fight their master.

I did not have to treat this as a spoiler, or did I? Is there a general rule how we handle this with old movies?

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 5/21/2024 at 2:29 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

KNOCKABOUT - what a classic, wonderful action, and some of the comedy is actually funny.  I remember when I saw it for the first time I was really shocked

Hide contents

when Lau Kar Wing turned out to be a villain, although when he crushed Beardy's jade ring which was obviously his only possession apart from the clothes he wore, it already gave a hint about his ruthlessness. I don't think there are many movies where pupils have to fight their master.

I did not have to treat this as a spoiler, or did I? Is there a general rule how we handle this with old movies?

I think you did it correctly.  With an endless genre like kung fu there’s always new movies for us to watch and spoil.  Someone got mad at me here a long time ago for giving away that Leung Kar Yan is the bad guy in Sixty Second Assassin, even though the movie doesn’t really make it a secret.  Maybe they just started watching the movie and then read my comment.  Not sure😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1