Knockabout (1979)

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

This is one film I could watch without the subtitles - and it was a good thing because the subtitles on my copy were el-sucko. If they weren't missing, they were ahead of themselves. Maybe I should've gotten the HKL edition.

In any event....

...typical Cantonese tomfoolery in the beginning. I was thinking, Yuen Biao and Leung Kar? This has to rock but I was getting nothing but chuckle-fu! What's going on?

(Hmmm, maybe I should rewatch Dreadnaught.)

Thankfully, Lau Kar Wing showed up and the plot got semi-serious. I almost (almost) turned it off but decided to stick with it and was pleasantly surprised with some serious kung action.

Sammo provided some good action as well. (However, the monkey screeches I could've done without.)

Overall, I'd still take Dreadnaught over this one.

End review....

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

As a "film", I prefer Dreadnaught as well. But Knockabout destroys Dreadnaught in the action department (not even close). Sammo and Biao are in top form, flying and flipping all over the screen. If Dreanaught had more quality action (finale sucked), it would easily one of my all time favs.

Guest chen lung

I totally agree.

This film is a great offender when it comes to that term. Not only that, but I found it really unentertaining and stupid. I'm finding a lot of stuff I'm watching includes too much of it - Shaws in particular (just plain garbage).

Only the finale and the training saved it from becoming a disaster.

Guest jmungus

for entertainment values alone, knockabout wins over dreadnaught.

i should rewatch knockabout, been a few years. always preferred it over dreadnaught tho, which is, as s/o had already mentioned, definitely the more potent movie otherwise.

knockaboutheader.gif

ROXXX :smokin

Guest PaulyOne

I enjoy stupid, over the top humor, so the comedy in this movie never bothered me and I have never found it annoying. No offense, but I find the term chuckle-fu much more annoying than the comedy in this fim.

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I can tolerate any amount of comedy as long as the action is good and fortunately the action in Knockabout is fookin class. I would agree dreadnaught is overall a better film but I've never been too enamored with it.

Guest drunkenmantis13

Only watched it once when i got the HKL DVD of it. I thought it was awesome! I can see why most would find the comedy painful but i found myself laughing a lot. Sure i would probably find it more annoying rewatching it but still...

And anyway the action more than compensate for this. Top notch from everybody involved!

Guest BKarza

I couldn't stand Dreadnaught. Don't really like Woo Ping directed movies. Knockabout is one that I watch for the movie. It's fun and silly. Kar Yan and Biu made a good pair in this.

The action is more for the training than the actual fights which were alright but not as amazing as Biu.

I can't stand comedy-fu but this, Odd Couple and Young Master are the exceptions for me.

Guest rederror

I love this movie. its the typical comedy for the first half and a few light hearted fight scenes with Biao and Yan getting into trouble and things like that. But the second half of the movie takes a rather serious turn. The final fight is something that i was not expecting especially as the rest of the film was a bit of a comedy. Ok i can see how some people would get annoyed by the monkey noises but that never really bothered me. Biao's best film in my opinion only just beating The Champions as that movie had me creasing up hehe! Nice!

This is a special " red background" promo made for the film Knockabout with Yuen Biao. Fantastic acrobatic moves, this shows him at his prime.

This is an extra on the HKL dvd but its here for those that dont have that disc or havent seen it..enjoy.

FKpb_X5nmKI

I can see why they cut this because of the pacing issues it would create, but I think it would be cool to have a "director's cut" that has it tacked on to the beginning.

I can see why they cut this because of the pacing issues it would create, but I think it would be cool to have a "director's cut" that has it tacked on to the beginning.

pacing issues?

pacing issues?

Sure, the movie doesn't start like say Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, where the intro is followed by quick action that immerses the viewer almost as if you jumped into the middle of the film.

The opening scene of Knockabout is a bit more idyllic and you don't see fu as good as the intro's until much later in the film. The beginning is fine without the stage intro, which is now doubt why they cut it, as it probably felt choppy. Also, the main theme music from the movie is not used in the intro, because it wouldn't fit, something which is not the case for most movies feature the stage intros (again, SITES is a good example).

Then 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN must have a pace issue if not more of & again the Japanese version has different music. But I personally don't see the pace issue as I also watch KNOCKABOUT with that intro before.