Please ID these styles used by Tony Jaa in Ong Bak 2

falkor

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great clips!..i think its not one particular style, looks like a combination of Tiger, Silat and Muay Thai to me...

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I agree with David, but would add a bit to his answer. From what I know of the animal styles- which is limited- Tiger kung fu doesn't have any specific defense moves, only attack moves. I think when he's striking, clawing, and countering strikes with strikes, it's Tiger style, but mixed with Eagle techniques for the locking, and trapping. Earlier in the film during the test scenes, he did a lot of (pretty obvious) Snake style, but then I believe he also mixed some Leopard Fist with Tiger style. At the end of that sequence he rocked a Mantis pose, and I was really bummed that the scene ended without seeing him demonstrate that style too. Of course, my minor disappointment only had a chance to last a few seconds before he was impressing the Hell out of me again! XD

Thanks for the replies. Are you sure that Leopard, Mantis and Eagle was used in the film? If Mantis was used then was it part of the Hung Gar sequence?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks for the replies. Are you sure that Leopard, Mantis and Eagle was used in the film? If Mantis was used then was it part of the Hung Gar sequence?

Don't forget, I said "From what I know of the animal styles- which is limited". I just rewatched the Hung Gar scene, and he does Snake, then Tiger and Crane. I thought the last stance was Mantis, but upon a 6th viewing, it may well have still been Crane style.

Where's Franky Lau? He would know for sure. How about all you other kung fu practitioners, help us out huh?

From what i remember Hung Gar consists of Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake and Dragon styles..not mantis...im sure Tony Jaa mixed styles and took what worked and looked best for the action. I loved his Drunken Fist too...like Jackie's but much more lethal!

Where's Franky Lau? He would know for sure. How about all you other kung fu practitioners, help us out huh?

theres a whole lot of hung gar used also some other bits and pieces from southern chinese styles...at some points it looked painfully wrong though..but they were minor...when he gets tested and fights the other guy with the braid they us alot of movements from LKL films...anyway it was refreshing to see...btw yip man 2 will have a lot of hung gar too..so the hung style seems to find its way back to the big screen...

Archived