Bruce Li vs Oddjob at Youtube

Guest shukocarl

Guest shukocarl

There's a clip of Bruce Li fighting 'Oddjob' (though I don't think it's Harold Sakata) and a small guy dressed the same. I emailed the poster who said the scene came from 'Chinese Stuntman'. Well it's never been in the old UK vhs/dvd...where is it from?

While we're on the subject, has anyone been able to ascertain where those 'dojo' basd clips of Li in 'The Young Bruce Lee'/'Real Bruce Lee' came from?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest killer meteor

Counter Attack was the 1984 version, apparently ghost directed by Bruce Le. There's quite a production story behind this one- Linn, do you have any info?

Guest Chan Wah Shun

You know there was something I had noticed. In the Bruce Li interview on Bruce Lee- True Story, there was a clip from Chinese Stuntman that wasn't in my version. Also, the dubbing was completely different. I had always wondered about that.

Guest Squid Lips

The two versions are different cuts. The UK Chinese Stuntman is a slight letterbox version where the US (Counter Attack) is full frame. BUT... that letterbox shows A LOT more information. I don't have a frame grab at the moment, but am looking at both now and in the UK you can see for instance top of the head down to the shins and on the US version you see the chin down to above the knees. Not to mention the wider version gives you other actors on either side of frame missing from the US.

Also, the US version starts a full three minutes into the movie. Goes from the exterior of the Kung Fu school right into the middle of Ladaski's fights (cutting all the walking around the school trying to start a fight). I have not watched the full thing in awhile so am not sure how much more the U.S. cuts out OR adds in from the UK.

There are some cool extras on the US version like 8mm footage shot on the set an the 8mm footage of Inosanto's old Nunchaku instructional film.

The US version is also a double sided disc.

As for the behind the scenes on this shoot, the rumor always was that Bruce Le was involved but am pretty sure that is all it was, rumor.

Guest shukocarl

I'd have to check but I'm sure Le is credited on the UK print...unless there was another Bruce Le (groan:rollin )

Guest Chinatown Kid

The version under the title Chinese Stuntman is the superior version imo, Counter Attack has some footage cut out including some fight scenes. One is the fight between Bruce Li and the teacher of the Goju Karate school. Sure would like to see this one remastered in true widescreen, the UK print currently out of this that was taken from an old InterOcean vhs doesn't look too hot.

Archived