What are the best R1 Shaws for a newbie?

littlefuzzy

littlefuzzy

I have only seen The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Dragon Dynasty), and I also own Dragon Dynasty's The One-Armed Swordsman. I plan to pick up the other DD Shaws very soon.

I also have The Master from Tokyo Shock.

What are some good Shaw films to start off? I'm okay with horror as well as M/A, and I like a bit of comedy (Jackie Chan) more than straight dramatic stuff, although non-comedy martial arts films are fine too.

I would prefer Region 1 stuff to start with (just for ease of ordering, etc.) but my DVD player is one of the original Apex players with the secret region-free menu. I've never really used it for that, though...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
I have only seen The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Dragon Dynasty), and I also own Dragon Dynasty's The One-Armed Swordsman. I plan to pick up the other DD Shaws very soon.

I also have The Master from Tokyo Shock.

What are some good Shaw films to start off? I'm okay with horror as well as M/A, and I like a bit of comedy (Jackie Chan) more than straight dramatic stuff, although non-comedy martial arts films are fine too.

I would prefer Region 1 stuff to start with (just for ease of ordering, etc.) but my DVD player is one of the original Apex players with the secret region-free menu. I've never really used it for that, though...

Hmmm, your name seems familiar :D. I have a link here (and criterionforums.com) that lists all the R1 Shaw Brother films.

Here is the ones I think you must watch:

King Boxer

Come Drink With Me

Heroes of the East

Legendary Weapons Of China

The Magic Blade

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan

Human Lanterns

Challenge of the Masters

Super Inframan

and then the rest :D.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Bells Of Death *****

Have Sword Will Travel *****

Shaolin Intruders *****

Heroic Ones *****

Human Lanterns *****

House Of Traps ****

The Magic Blade *****

Intimate Confessions Of A Chinese Courtesan *****

Come Drink With Me *****

King Boxer *****

Challenge Of The Masters *****

Lengendary Weapons Of China ***

Two Champions Of Shaolin ***

The Water Margin ****

The Wandering Swordsman **

King Boxer would be a great next purchase. One of the all-time best.

littlefuzzy

On the Image box set:

Four Swords - Shaw Brothers 4-Disc Collection

- Vengeance Is a Golden Blade ( Fei yan jin dao ) (1969)

- Have Sword, Will Travel ( Bao biao ) (1969)

- Water Margin, The ( Sui woo juen ) (1972)

- Wandering Swordsman, The ( You xia er ) (1970)

Are those individual discs and cases, or is it packed in a multi-disc case?

masterofoneinchpunch
On the Image box set:

Four Swords - Shaw Brothers 4-Disc Collection

- Vengeance Is a Golden Blade ( Fei yan jin dao ) (1969)

- Have Sword, Will Travel ( Bao biao ) (1969)

- Water Margin, The ( Sui woo juen ) (1972)

- Wandering Swordsman, The ( You xia er ) (1970)

Are those individual discs and cases, or is it packed in a multi-disc case?

multi-disc case (regular size case too).

littlefuzzy

Hmm, I may get the individual releases instead...

It looks like that Well-Go set is a cardboard box with individual cases.

You guys aren't going to actually start listing films again, any top 10, 20, 50 list anywhere on this site will suffice. Your likely to eventually watch and/or collect every Shaw, so start anywhere...

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Dont forget the excellent R1 release of Heroes Two....With Linns involvement of course....

That's great interview. You can tell Linn was a very cool dude. I wish I went to the Lo Mang awards in Philadelphia. It would've been great meeting the rest of you guys who showed as well.

Image's Boxer's Omen is one I haven't seen listed, not so much a KF flick, but must watch imo.

Who released Bells of Death? How did I miss that???

littlefuzzy

I just watched The Master from Tokyo Shock, and it was great!

I've been trying to find King Boxer locally, but Best Buy doesn't have it, and Walmart took down the rack that had a bunch of Dragon Dynasty mixed in, to make room for Easter displays. Maybe I'll be able to find it once those are gone.

I found out that My Young Auntie is played as a comedy, I may look for that one next.

Well, in addition to all of the Media Blasters, Well-Go, Dragon Dynasty and BCI titles (from the Deep Discount sale last month), I decided to order some of the Image titles based on the recommendations in here. Some of them may have been more because I could get them cheaper than some of the other titles.

I ordered Black Magic, The Super Inframan, The Bells of Death, Bat Without Wings, Human Lanterns, and Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan.

Those titles will bring me up to 31 total, so I'm going to have a 30-day Shaw Brothers in September marathon.

Actually, I may try to pick up another 5 titles before the end of September, since I've watched 6 of the ones I own recently. I'd rather watch ones I haven't seen than one I've already seen a couple of times.

mitthrawnuruondo

i love bells of death,as long as you are getting image,the recent release king eagle is very good ,as well as the magnificient trio.i find netflix a very good way to preview these ,and decide if they are worth a buy.you can find just about every R1 release from every distibutor there.

Archived