The FAUX Venoms?? You decide....

teako170

Something about this opening shot of the 5 Venoms together always seemed off....

fauxvenoms1.jpg

Lo Mang's posture just doesn't strike me as right - plus there's the height difference.

Take a look at the next photo from 10 Tigers....

fauxvenoms2.jpg

As you can see - Lo Mang, Kuo Chui, and Lu Feng are all around the same height.

KC appears slightly shorter but his one leg is forward so he may not be standing completely straight.

But if you compare it to that first image, none of them are on the same plane.

Granted the camera is off to the right which can cause a slight disparity but not that much.

So what do you think? Think that's the real Lo Mang in the first photo ... or a "Faux Venom" stand-in?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I noticed this when I was drawing these guys. That's definitely NOT Lo Meng in that shot. Lo has a short, thickly muscled neck- the "Toad" in the group shot doesn't.

Lo was hospitalized for an appendicitis during production of FIVE VENOMS. The film was put on hold (as was another movie, I think) temporarily and production was begun on TEN TIGERS.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Ah.... great info. Nice to see you posting bro. It seems like you haven't been around here much lately.

shaolin drunkard
I noticed this when I was drawing these guys. That's definitely NOT Lo Meng in that shot. Lo has a short, thickly muscled neck- the "Toad" in the group shot doesn't.

lol yeah.lo mengs neck is twice thicker than guy of 5 venom pic.

If I had to take a guess I'd say it's Dick Wei?

Would make sense since he was already around for the shoot anyway.

I always thought Lu Feng was taller but I guess not.

Funny that you mentioned this. Has anyone notice when Lu Feng plays the bad guy in the Venoms films look at his feet, he is always wearing platform boots about an inch thick (maybe 2 inches)! XD

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Funny that you mentioned this. Has anyone notice when Lu Feng plays the bad guy in the Venoms films look at his feet, he is always wearing platform boots about an inch thick (maybe 2 inches)! XD

Yes, I've noticed that. They've been adding height to villains all throughout cinematic history, from Boris Karloff's FRANKENSTEIN boots, all the way though Darth Vader's footwear (Even though Vader actor David Prowse is already 6'7 I believe). In fact, on TV's Survivor they have vertically challenged host Jeff Probst stand on an off-camera raised platform so that when people are voted off and he tells the contestants each week "The tribe has spoken." he looks suitably imposing. :D

Those were the boots you would see on the General Kwan character in the opera plays(see youtube). Why he did it, I don't know. Not for me to speculate. He did not always do it and he didn't do it in the Taiwan flicks.

Guest Markgway

Maybe they're all stuntmen hired for a sequence in which you don't need to see the actors' faces? That's an extremely common practice.

Maybe they're all stuntmen hired for a sequence in which you don't need to see the actors' faces? That's an extremely common practice.

Sure, more than likely.

Funny. Its the only time we ever see all 5 of them together donned in their masks plus ....

it's the image that has been used over and over to promote this film ....

and yet, its a fraud. How ironic....

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

When I noticed this, I began to pay closer attention during the training sequences. But it seemed like the real actors behind the masks for sure in every shot except this one. For Phillip, you see his missing fingers. Lo is shirtless, and besides his singular build, he has a mole at the base of his throat. Sun's kicking has a very specific feel to it that's obvious in the Scorpion stuff, as well as Lu's and Wei's hand strikes. Interesting, fun little thread Teako.

That picture is ironically not a good representation of the actual film. Its really a look at politics, greed, and corruption of the judicial system. With a bit of torture and Kung Fu spliced in.

When I noticed this, I began to pay closer attention during the training sequences. But it seemed like the real actors behind the masks for sure in every shot except this one. For Phillip, you see his missing fingers. Lo is shirtless, and besides his singular build, he has a mole at the base of his throat. Sun's kicking has a very specific feel to it that's obvious in the Scorpion stuff, as well as Lu's and Wei's hand strikes. Interesting, fun little thread Teako.

I recall sort of a "continuity goof" in the Toad training sequences, where Toad does wear the green shirt in some shots.

Which I guess can be well explained by what Venoms5 wrote about Lo being hospitalized. They may have replaced him for that particular group shot and for bits of his training sequence. The others may just as well be the "real deal". (I dare not speculate about Centipede, Scorpion and Lizard, but the Snake guy in that screenshot does look a lot like Wei - judging from the height and the body frame.)

kungfusamurai

Lu Feng was 'heightening'? For shame! :)

I always took it for granted that the actual actors were portraying their characters under the masks because they're all physically capable of doing their own fights. But now that it's been pointed out that Toad with the mask may not have been Lo Mang, I just rewatched the intro on youtube, and I think there may have been more substitutions beyond just that one shot. I don't think Lo Mang is doing any of the demo at all, since the guy demonstrating Toad style seems to have a longer neck than Mang, and his arms seem to have less definition than Mang's.

Is it also possible that Sun Chien's Scorpion was also partially body doubled? The jumping that turns into slow mo' might have been beyond his capabilities. Maybe Chiang Sheng doubled for him there? And the kicking part of Centipede, was Lu Feng capable of that type of kicking? I don't recall Lu Feng or the character of Centipede showing good kicking form throughout the film. Maybe one of the mini-venoms were doing doubling for some of the more 'acrobatic' kicking moments?

KFS

I think the heightening episode is the one where the little guy, at Kramer's advise, puts them in his shoes to keep his acting job and the other little people find out and shun him, it's hilarious was the midget and Kramer get into a shoving matchXD

MICKEY: So Tammy, finally, today's our big lunch.

TAMMY: I don't think so.

MICKEY: Why not? What the hell are you talking about?

TAMMY: Look Mickey, everybody knows that you're heightening. It's all over the set.

MICKEY: Wait, wait (goes to grab her arm)

TAMMY: (recoils) Don't touch me. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. All the progress we made over the years and you go and blow it by pulling a stupid stunt like this.

MICKEY: Wait a second, wait a second, you got me all wrong. It was all because of the kid. (numerous little people begin to crowd around them) (to Tammy) The kid was growing. He shot up two and a half inches in a month. (to all the little people) I woulda' lost my job. Any one of you would have done the same. You got no right! I'm Mickey Abbott! I stood in for Punky Brewster when all of you was nothing. (seeing the crowd still doesn't agree with what he did, he points at Kramer) It's all his fault. (Kramer acts like he doesn't know what Mickey is talking about) It was his idea.

TAMMY: Come on Johnny, let's go get something to eat.

(all the little people leave including Tammy along with Johnny)

MICKEY: (in complete disgust as seeing Tammy leave with Johnny) AH! (turns and looks at Kramer) AH!

KRAMER: What?

(Mickey runs and tackles Kramer)

TibetanWhiteCrane

"I stood in for Punky Brewster when all of you were nothing" LOL.... that's comedy gold!

Or should I say... "It's gold Jerry... gold"

So we have officially derailed this thread about ten miles to the left....!

And all the non Seinfeld fans are thinking "What the fuck are these people talking about?!!!"

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
"I stood in for Punky Brewster when all of you were nothing" LOL.... that's comedy gold!

Or should I say... "It's gold Jerry... gold"

So we have officially derailed this thread about ten miles to the left....!

And all the non Seinfeld fans are thinking "What the fuck are these people talking about?!!!"

If they're not Seinfeld fans... then who cares what they're thinking? XD

Jerry: What do you mean you're in the same class?

Kramer: He almost beat me.

Jerry: Kramer, you're fighting children?!

Kramer: We're all at the same skill level, Jerry.

Jerry: He's nine years old! You don't need karate, you can just wring his neck!

XD

Archived