Zatoichi meets Yojimbo

Tosh

Just watched this and for once I was disappointed in a Zatoichi movie, for one Toshiro isn't playing his character from the Yojimbo movies, and it seemed like they used every opportunity to throw in every scene of Yojimbo.

Maybe I was expecting something better, merging two of my favorite Samurai characters in one movie, then again it's hard to have two high profile characters together.

I know not every Zatoichi is a masterpiece, but they did a better job in Zatoichi meets the One Armed Swordsman imo.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty sure Yojimbo never met the one armed swordsman, you probably mean Zatoichi there

i liked this movie, not the greatest entry into the series but i remember enjoying the interaction between them

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

One of my favorite Zatoichi flicks. I think Toshiro kicked ass in this one. The new translations don't do justice to this film. The old translations for the VHS version released years ago are great. Still they don't ruin the film for me. The Nine Headed Dragon's advent in the story is awesome. All the conflagration when he walks up to the village. The duel between Zato and Yojimbo's well done too, IMO.

I am with the Topic started on this one.... I think was one of the worst in the Zatoichi Series....

It was just the Yojimbo movie with Zatoichi in it.... it Sucked. It was just a ploy to put 2 great actors together and get people to come to theaters.

I think if your a Zatoichi fan at heart then chances are this film isnt for you.... OFC if your a Toshiro fan then you chances are you loved it.

It shouldnt be a in the Zatoichi Series in my view.... Instead considered Yojimbo movie with Zatoichi costaring in it.

kungfusamurai

I found this movie very disappointing, especially since it was the first Zatoichi film Katsu did for Toho after almost 2 years hiatus from the series. Everything was wrong with this film from the way Zatoichi looked (what was with the buddhist monk haircut?), to the lack of outstanding fight scenes like in his earlier films, and of course, this seemed more like a vehicle for Mifune than Katsu. I think this was a favour Mifune did for Katsu because Katsu was in Incident At Blood Pass.

KFS

pretty sure Yojimbo never met the one armed swordsman, you probably mean Zatoichi there

i liked this movie, not the greatest entry into the series but i remember enjoying the interaction between them

Ah yes, I typed that running out the door to work the otherday, I'll edit it.

I think if your a Zatoichi fan at heart then chances are this film isnt for you.... OFC if your a Toshiro fan then you chances are you loved it.

Well I'm a big fan of both characters and actors, so I equally disappointed on both fronts.

I don't think it's a terrible movie, but it did seem like a cash in, maybe I'll revisit it down the line and see if I feel the same way.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I felt the same way Tosh, it's probably in the bottom two of the series for me. But I actually enjoyed it more the second time I watched it.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The film is very well done IMO. I'm surprised at the overt negative opinions on this film.

You know I haven't seen this movie in a long time, but from what I can recall I wasn't all that impressed with it. And I agree with most of you Guys, I'm a big fan of both Actors and it seems like they just wanted to throw them both in a Zatoichi movie together. I know nobody would stand for Mifune to be a Villain but I think that would've been a really nice twist to this movie.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The film is very well done IMO. I'm surprised at the overt negative opinions on this film.

Don't get me wrong brother, I think it's a good movie. I just think it's one of the lesser of the Zatoichi series.

It was just a gimic and nothing more. Sort of like when the Universal horror films were winding down and the monsters began to show up in each others movies. Finally they all met Abbott and Costello and called it quits. The Zatoichi series was no different. You are talking about Toho Studios that at the same time ran out of ideas for monsters and had Godzilla fighting other established Toho monsters ( and King Kong ).

You are talking about Toho Studios that at the same time ran out of ideas for monsters and had Godzilla fighting other established Toho monsters ( and King Kong ).

Now that wasn't nessacarly such a bad thing, and it was only fitting Godzilla and King Kong square off, it ended up being a good movie that didn't spend the whole running time remaking the King Kong movie and throwing Godzilla into it, after they left the island it went into another direction, and it had a giant octopus in it! sweetXD

Geez I'm just all kinds of off topic today.

Archived