Beast Stalker

D1 Ma

If you missed it, I wanna recommend it to you. I think it's the best HK movie of 2008 and, probably, one of the best HK movies in years. I haven't enjoyed a HK movie that much since One Nite in Mongkok.

I mean, it may be not a masterpiece, but still worth watching. May be a bit slow in the middle, but overall, pretty impressive. I can't say it's very original, but it kept me interested and I liked it enough to start this thread :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked it, but I don't think it's best movie of the year material. I think that's more a sign of how weak the HK industry is right now. Nicholas Tse is one of my favorite HK actors, but I couldn't help but think during the movie that it felt like a poor man's version of the Korean movie "The Chaser."

TibetanWhiteCrane

Watched this and Playboy Cops recently.... not super deep stuff, But better than 90% of the crap HK churns out these days!

If I see one more overblown, overhyped, large scale war epic with 1000+ extras and crappy cgi.... im gonna fucking vomit!!!

but I couldn't help but think during the movie that it felt like a poor man's version of the Korean movie "The Chaser."

It's funny, I thought The Chaser was a very low budget, very slow at times cheapo, with cartoony characters( especially the cops) and a messy screenplay. It had some good, intense parts, but overall didn't impress me at all. I couldn't believe it was nominated for The Asian Film Award for the best screenplay. It also ripped some ideas off The Saw. So, in my book it's nowhere near Beast Stalker

Well, it was based off of a true story, if those are the parts you're referring to that ripped off Saw.

Beast Stalker starts off incredibly strong. Once the real opening sequence was over, I was hoping for the rest of the film to be as awesome. Sadly, that wasn't the case. I don't want to spoil the film as it's fairly fresh on DVD; just keep your expectations in check.

FWIW, the edition I have has a commentary track which has English subs.

Cheung was great in Beast Stalker. The move itself was above avarage ... nothing special but worth the dollars spent.

Archived