Funny vid- Wang Yu dissed.... Ouch!!!

TibetanWhiteCrane

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Also on that Cottonmill DVD there's a funny story about Jimmy beating up all the stuntmen and then the stuntmen wouldn't work for him the next day. Ching Kuo Chung says he beat them so hard that some of them vomited.

This reminds me of Jackie Cheung's character in HIGH RISK. People always mention that he was parodying Bruce and Jackie, but I'm sure there were other influences for this character of the egotistical, big star bully.

Morgoth Bauglir

I can just imagine Jimmy beating up everybody on the set and everybody taking it and not fighting back for fear of losing their job. For some reason it makes me think of little Max Lee beating up Jackie in Snake in Eagle's Shadow.

This reminds me of Jackie Cheung's character in HIGH RISK. People always mention that he was parodying Bruce and Jackie, but I'm sure there were other influences for this character of the egotistical, big star bully.

No, no, no... That was all Jackie. In fact, the only parodies of bruce were the numchucks and the yellow track suit.

ironfistedmonk

I've posted on another forum my thoughts on Jimmy, he comes across as a very unpleasant person and all the stories point towards this view.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

As much as I would dislike hanging out with the guy- based on what I've heard- I sure enjoy a lot of his movies... MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE, GOLDEN SWALLOW, et. I used to think he sucked when I was younger. I couldn't understand how his "swingy arm" kung fu had allowed him to become a top star in Hong Kong. But then I saw THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN and it all made perfect sense.

I think there are things about his personality, that in reality would be a big turn off, but on-screen make him a great character to watch. He has that bloated, bad-ass ego, smarmy way of (mis)behaving, and very sarcastic style of talking. So as long as he stays on my TV screen and not standing next to me, acting like a jerk, talking shit about our lovely US ladies, then I'm down with Jimmy Wang Yu.

As much as I would dislike hanging out with the guy- based on what I've heard- I sure enjoy a lot of his movies... MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE, GOLDEN SWALLOW, et. I used to think he sucked when I was younger. I couldn't understand how his "swingy arm" kung fu had allowed him to become a top star in Hong Kong. But then I saw THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN and it all made perfect sense.

I think there are things about his personality, that in reality would be a big turn off, but on-screen make him a great character to watch. He has that bloated, bad-ass ego, smarmy way of (mis)behaving, and very sarcastic style of talking. So as long as he stays on my TV screen and not standing next to me, acting like a jerk, talking shit about our lovely US ladies, then I'm down with Jimmy Wang Yu.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me, too.

Guest Markgway
They make 'em tougher in Scotland, eh?

Well, we wouldn't stand there and take shit from a dude who's only martial training was the breaststroke. XD

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Well, we wouldn't stand there and take shit from a dude who's only martial training was the breaststroke. XD

Yes, but I read and heard in numerous interviews that he was a real life bad ass in a street brawl. He just doesn't have the finesse that makes this look good on film.

Killer Meteor

According to the 1974 documentary Kung FU Killers, directed by Brian Trenchard Smith, Wang Yu was already a millionaire and didn't have to work

According to the 1974 documentary Kung FU Killers, directed by Brian Trenchard Smith, Wang Yu was already a millionaire and didn't have to work

Triad.

SlothStyleKungFu

I think its pretty funny and kinda' ironic that they get on Jimmy for not liking white chicks or getting along with gwailos in general. I mean, sure, the Chinese have some serious racial hangups, but its not like white people dont either, especially when it comes to Asians.

Regardless of the behind the scenes drama, its a good flick. And Jimmy, asshole or not, good actor/stunt performer or not, was one of the biggest figures in the martial explosion and no one can argue that fact.

Guest Markgway
I think its pretty funny and kinda' ironic that they get on Jimmy for not liking white chicks or getting along with gwailos in general. I mean, sure, the Chinese have some serious racial hangups, but its not like white people dont either, especially when it comes to Asians.

So because there are racist whites in the world that means no white person has the right to call someone out for being racist?

sonnychibaidol

Although I admired Jimmy Wang Yu's display of martial arts on screen, I was very shocked to learn about his real life behaviour. Amongst them, claims of domestic violence and having 3 marriages and divorces, not to mention his connection with the triads.

I really wanted to know something. Some of you have mentioned that one of his co-stars, Shan Miao from Taiwan died in a brawl. If this is true, could you please explain what was the motive of his death at the time?

Some of you also mentioned that another co-star, Lung Fei went to gaol until he was bailed out by Jimmy Wang Yu himself. If so, what was he in gaol for? Is this man still alive and acting?

Killer Meteor
Although I admired Jimmy Wang Yu's display of martial arts on screen, I was very shocked to learn about his real life behaviour. Amongst them, claims of domestic violence and having 3 marriages and divorces, not to mention his connection with the triads.

I really wanted to know something. Some of you have mentioned that one of his co-stars, Shan Miao from Taiwan died in a brawl. If this is true, could you please explain what was the motive of his death at the time?

Some of you also mentioned that another co-star, Lung Fei went to gaol until he was bailed out by Jimmy Wang Yu himself. If so, what was he in gaol for? Is this man still alive and acting?

Yes, i would like to know more about these two guys too

SlothStyleKungFu
So because there are racist whites in the world that means no white person has the right to call someone out for being racist?

No. Its just funny considering all the Asian stereotyping that went on, especially during the martial boom. I guess its the fact that naive Westerners often have their jaws drop when they see that Asians have similar hang-ups, and I always find that funny. people are narrow-minded all the world over.

And, reconsidering, their comments don't exactly label Jimmy as a racist. They just say he didnt get along with anyone which makes sense considering its a whole different working environment for him. Makes him more prickly than anything else.

What's the story? Anyone? Thanks.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Did he have any quarrel with Bruce Lee??? I didn't realize Wang Yu been in the game for a long ass time, Damn!!! I always thought he was one of those old skool kats from the 80s???

Hey, never heard of this one (embarassed to admit). Is this thing available anywhere? Would love to check it out...

The blade DOES cut both ways, doesn't it. I read somewhere that on the set of "Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires", that the British crew were giving the Chinese crew a terrible time of it which is very sad to consider.

Of course, it in no way excuses Jimmy for what he did (not by a LONG shot, lol!); beating the crap out of the director, putting flies in his mouth before kissing his co-star?! Sounds like Jimmy had some deep-routed issues...

Hey, never heard of this one (embarassed to admit). Is this thing available anywhere? Would love to check it out...

Its on the man from hong kong DVD from Austrailia. :)

Cognoscente
On 2/9/2013 at 6:58 PM, greenbamboo said:

Wang Yu was the biggest star in HK until Lee exploded on to the scene. Has he ever talked about Bruce in interviews?

The closest thing to an interview that I have found are articles featuring info that sound like they came from Jimmy.

They had a wrist wrestling match: https://k.sina.com.cn/article_1223495752_48ed10480010156yd.html

• Like 1