Funny vid- Wang Yu dissed.... Ouch!!!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Guest Markgway
I wonder who the other one was?

George Lazenby?? lol

Like it or not, Jimmy Wang Yu was a good actor, and came out at a time when acting was more important than martial arts

Let's not get carreid away here... Wang was an OK actor when he worked at Shaws... and after that he stopped trying... He made drivel like Fantasy Mission Force because that's what his career was reduced to.

then you had guys that were convincing at both like Ku Feng, who was really a better actor

That's like saying Robert DeNiro is a better actor than Keanu Reeves. Duh! lol

In fairness to Wang Yu, who knows if these people weren't cool with him. I could imagine a situation where people would be patronizing towards him because he was an Asian film star. Look how so many HK film stars get jerked around in America. Jackie Chan has the patience of Job.

You just know the Aussies are teling it like it was.

I loved the bit where Roger (Mad Max) Ward says he volunteered to beat Wang Yu up. Classic.

That's like saying Robert DeNiro is a better actor than Keanu Reeves. Duh! lol

I wasn't comparing Ku Feng to Jimmy Wang Yu dillhole.

shaolin drunkard
Like it or not, Jimmy Wang Yu was a good actor, and came out at a time when acting was more important than martial arts, most martial arts actors where/are terrible actors but great at KF, sure some had more charisma then others. I think these films truley work when you can mix in good actors and martial artists, then you had guys that were convincing at both like Ku Feng, who was really a better actor, and Phillip Ko that brought the best of both worlds.

Wang Yu was great in his Shaw films.He was perfect as who man extremely rarely smiles,talks a little and slays a lot.Not many on that era would look as convinving in Sword of the swords,golden swallow or one-armed swordsman.

however, i feel this was the best he has ever looked in terms of fighting and acting ability on screen.

Sword of Swords? Two Cavaliers? Master of the Flying Guillotine? A Man Called Tiger? All those have better action than The Man From Hong Kong. And if by acting ability you mean being able to put a mean french kiss on his co-actresses, then yeah, this is his best one.

A good part of it probably has to do with it being made in the early 70's, and the logistics problem that comes with working in a foreign country with primarily a foreign crew, but this has always been one of Sammo's shoddier action direction efforts. I think my favorite scene in the movie is when Jimmy Wang yu and the Australian assassin spend 10 minutes running around a restaurant throwing random objects at each other and flailing fists with the gracefulness of a blind drunk, only for one of them (I think Jimmy), to proclaim afterwards that he had just been in a fight with a true kung fu master.

Guest Markgway
I wasn't comparing Ku Feng to Jimmy Wang Yu dillhole.

then you had guys that were convincing at both like Ku Feng, who was really a better actor

Better actor than whom then?

I assumed you meant Wang Yu given that's who we were talking about.

And dillhole?

I might be offended if I knew what that meant.

Sword of Swords? Two Cavaliers? Master of the Flying Guillotine? A Man Called Tiger? All those have better action than The Man From Hong Kong. And if by acting ability you mean being able to put a mean french kiss on his co-actresses, then yeah, this is his best one.

A good part of it probably has to do with it being made in the early 70's, and the logistics problem that comes with working in a foreign country with primarily a foreign crew, but this has always been one of Sammo's shoddier action direction efforts. I think my favorite scene in the movie is when Jimmy Wang yu and the Australian assassin spend 10 minutes running around a restaurant throwing random objects at each other and flailing fists with the gracefulness of a blind drunk, only for one of them (I think Jimmy), to proclaim afterwards that he had just been in a fight with a true kung fu master.

well despite the action from his earlier efforts I FEEL that this was the most convincing for me in a sense that it looked a bit grittier and more realistic that just punchy kicky or "trampoline fight!". and forgive me...i haven't seen ALL his films (as i said before im not a huge fan) but i really liked the scene where he drop kicks the guy off the motorcycle...OUCH!

i mean hey...to each their own. i just thought it worked for that film. one armed swordsman, the chinese boxer, the chinese professionals (and the sequels) were great movies and all, but that is because they started trends. i respect the man. i respect the films. but out of all that i have seen, man from hong kong was the most convincing and the most fun to watch for me

im starting to think one of the main reasons his films were so successful was because of the other people involved in the production. him alone would not have made it (well duh but you get what i mean....i hope)

oh and mark...a dillhole is the hole in a pickle...i mean penis

ok back to wang yu...im eager to hear the stories. if anyone has the time and patience to put up these...that would be awesome. Hong Kong gossip!

Killer Meteor

Going from memory...

Wang Yu's first wife was an actress 9 years or so older than him, and her former husband ,a director, committed suicide

Wang Yu divorced one of his wives. She cited domestic violence, he claimed she was a lesbian

More recently, Wang Yu found out his estranged but not divorced wife was having an affair, so burst on the love nest with police and press in tow, yelling "Happy new year!"

And no, I'm not making any of this up

Better actor than whom then?

I assumed you meant Wang Yu given that's who we were talking about.

And dillhole?

I might be offended if I knew what that meant.

Your misunderstanding, I was saying Ku Feng was a better actor than a martial artist, not that he was a better actor than Wang Yu, that would be pretty obvious, right? duh lol

Where did you get this description of the word? The online slang dictionary or something?:o Hole in a pickle? It doesn't make senseXD your taking the meaning to literal.

Guest Markgway
Your misunderstanding, I was saying Ku Feng was a better actor than a martial artist, not that he was a better actor than Wang Yu, that would be pretty obvious, right? duh lol

OK, you could've just said that. And yes, I admit I misunderstood.

No need for name calling. :cry:

Where did you get this description of the word? The online slang dictionary or something?:o Hole in a pickle? It doesn't make senseXD your taking the meaning to literal.

So am I or am I not a penis? Make up your mind, guys! The Vagina Clan are waiting for a definitive answer.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ok, Im still trying to find out what in the sam hell happened to Lung Fei, and is there any credible info on his and Shen Mao's stories?????

Killer Meteor

Interestingly, in Exit the Dragon, Enter The Tiger, Lung Fei is referred to by name in character as a "small time hood" in the American re-dub but the Chinglish subs on the Chinese print call him an actor!

• Like 1

kungfusamurai

LOL! I've never hidden the fact that I don't like Wang Yu's movies, and now this gives me even more reason to dislike him! :) At least with Charles Heung, another triad guy, he was a good actor and a great on screen fighter, fighting with specific forms, as opposed to the flailing arms Wang Yu did.

KFS

I think the bit about Shan Mao getting killed I heard in a video interview (sorry can't place who or where I heard it at the time).

I think the bit about Shan Mao getting killed I heard in a video interview (sorry can't place who or where I heard it at the time).

It's on the rarescope dvd of Showdown at the Cotton Mill. Ching Kuo Chun interview.

ironfistedmonk

Yep Showdown at the Cotton Mill, stabbed in the head with a screw driver during a fight if I remember the interview correctly, nasty way to go :(

Morgoth Bauglir

Also on that Cottonmill DVD there's a funny story about Jimmy beating up all the stuntmen and then the stuntmen wouldn't work for him the next day. Ching Kuo Chung says he beat them so hard that some of them vomited.

Also on that Cottonmill DVD there's a funny story about Jimmy beating up all the stuntmen and then the stuntmen wouldn't work for him the next day. Ching Kuo Chung says he beat them so hard that some of them vomited.

Sounds hilarious.

Guest Markgway

Pussies.

Pursuant to my opinion of Jimmy's real-life martial skill, I'm wagering that the only way he was able to "beat up" the stuntman is if it was during filming and the script called for them to get beaten up, and that they were desperately in need of their job.

Pussies.

They make 'em tougher in Scotland, eh?

You can't call yourself a man till you've been punched in the gut so many times that your Bucky comes out ya nose.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
They make 'em tougher in Scotland, eh?

You can't call yourself a man till you've been punched in the gut so many times that your Bucky comes out ya nose.

Damn Greenfan, I hope you're not speaking from experience! And if you are, was it Jimmy that did it to you too?! :o