Leung Kar Yan's new film with Gordon Liu

ben

Some very good news.. a new film directed by Leung Kar Yan, and he will also star in it alongside Gordon Liu..

Action Star Leung Kar Yan Directs Blood Relations

http://wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/631-Action-Star-Leung-Kar-Yan-Directs-Blood-Relations.html#extended

Blood Relations (tentative), an action-packed martial arts film directed by Leung Kar Yan, has just begun production recently in Xi-an and is expected to take three months to shoot. The film reunites Leung Kar Yan with Gordon Liu. It also stars Leung Kar Yan's son Leung Ho Yee, Yin Dan Dan, Wu Tian Ze.

Blood Relations is a patriotic story set in the early 1900s Republican period when China was facing Japanese invasion. Tycoon Qin Ling, a philanthropic but unassuming person, is being extorted by the Japanese. Qin Ling refuses to comply. As head of the household, to ensure the safety of his family and his servants, and to foil the scheme of the Japanese, Qin Ling disperses his family and wealth, and dismisses his servants.

However, the Japanese send martial arts exponents to massacre his entire family. His youngest son, Qin Yun, who's actually not related to him by blood, returns from studies abroad, and trains hard in martial arts to defeat the Japanese, eventually realising the kind intentions of his father.

Director Leung Kar Yan says that he would be playing Qin Ling, while Gordon Liu his close friend, who's also an anti-Japanese guerilla, and both would have several fight scenes, "Blood Relations is a 100% action film, with authentic martial arts sequences, not just empty poses."

Gordon Liu, who's recently been approached by Shaw Brothers to do some remakes of their classics and hopes to do a film on Choy Li Fut in the near future, says, "Today's youths would turn on the PCs once they wake up, and often neglect traditional stuff. So, I and director Leung are planning a series of films showcasing traditional kungfu, to expose more youths to Chinese kungfu and let them better understand Chinese culture."

Also interesting to see the small news regarding Shaw Brothers approaching Gordon Liu for remakes..

Finally, here is a photo of them..

http://www.wu-jing.org/News/images/2009/2009_03_07_01_Blood_Relations_qq.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, I wonder how Leung Kar Yan does as a director. Never really imagined him as one, but after checking the HKMDB, this is actually going to be his 11th (!) time behind the camera.

I've kinda grown skeptic about projects like these because another old-school actor, Sammo, seems to get his name attached to stuff like this all the time, and they all either a) never get off the ground or B) turn out crappy. I also have a bad feeling this might turn out having the cheap made-for-TV movie look ala Drunken Monkey or Legend of the Dragon, but we shall see.

More than anything, this looks like its supposed to be a coming out party for his son. If he's even half as talented as his dad, then he'll have a good chance of proving me wrong.

Yeah, let's wait and see.. It is confirmed to be in production now so it will hopefully turn up at some point..

he directed profile in anger, which i finally watched, with mixed results. chang yi and phillip ko were great, and so was beardy, but it still was a pretty standard picture for that time.

now this one seems to be something we just watched ala yip man. that does not mean i wont eagerly await this film, i just won't expect anything but great action

and im kinda in the same boat as yakuza. i get the feeling it will have that TV look.

i understand chinese patriotism and all, but i think martial cinema needs to stray from the whole anti-japanese tag. not because im being a pc whiner, but it's been done to death

all this being said....beardy and gordon liu kick MAJOR ass and im glad he is back in the saddle. i really love beardy's work, and he deserves much more credit than he gets

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Very interesting. I'm not to hip on new martial arts films, but this one does look interesting.

butcher wing

this sounds awesome, kinda sounds like a mix mash of some other of his flixs but I can't wait. And the news of doing movies with traditional kung fu Im all over that.

Awsome, I just watched Avenging Trio which also starred both Gordon Liu and Leung Kar Yan. Nice that they will make another one :D

I'd like to see how they're going to capture the old school element, maybe they can bring up some talented youth, lord knows we could use some new blood in the mix, there isn't anyone in the biz worth their salt that isn't over 30!

lillippa328
I've just been told that filming for Blood Relations has just wrapped up. Hopefully, we'll be seeing it soon.

already?Wow

Cool news. Both old guys that still have lots of skill, as this clip shows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_sUNmLQQmc&feature=related

They've done lots of TV work together it seems.

This clip isn't from TV, but from another movie that they did together very recently. A friend of mine told me that they are looking for distibution for it. Hopefully, it will get a dvd release with subs.

I'm wondering why this hasn't been made into a bigger deal than reading it off the forums, these guys are legend yet get no respect, I'm hoping they deliver something great.

I'm wondering why this hasn't been made into a bigger deal than reading it off the forums, these guys are legend yet get no respect, I'm hoping they deliver something great.

There might be more promotion over this in Asia & in the Chinese press. I guess fans will hear more about both films when they get distro & a subbed dvd release.

Has anyone heard anymore about this? Oh, and I found out through Mike Leeder that Leung Kar-Yan now has an official English name....you can call Beardy...Bryan Leung!

Has anyone heard anymore about this? Oh, and I found out through Mike Leeder that Leung Kar-Yan now has an official English name....you can call Beardy...Bryan Leung!

Yeah, I've already seeb "Bryan Leung" being used for him.

This movie sound interesting; the plot sounds typical, but having Leung Kar Yan and Gordon in the same movie is awesome, plus it sounds like they want new talent.

Archived