Samurai Assassin 64'

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

What a great film. Haven't rewatched this one for a long time. The ambush on Toshiro near the end in his mud hut. Awesome how it looks like they've got him dead to rights and he believeably (spelling), with all the self assurance in the world, just takes them out. Also, the twist in the story, how they (his own conspirators) convince him to kill his best friend (they don't know this) and later profess to the fact that his best friend wasn't the spy they were so worried about ruining their plans in the first place, awesome stuff right there. Great great film.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been some years since I saw this last, is this the one were the girl has the gun? I remember it being a bit hard to follow, but not enough to get lost by the end, I'll need to rewatch this again myself. So many great movie, so little time!

Tantheman

I really liked this film also. I went through a 60s Japanese swordplay phase a while back, and this one stood out. I did find it a bit hard to follow aswell, but the pay off was excellent. Toshiro Mifune was great as usual, and the direction from Kihachi Okamoto was brilliant. However, I don't think its as good as Sword of Doom or Hara Kiri, or most of the Kurosawa swordplay flicks

big fan of this one

I think Okamoto is somewhat underrated in america, even though there's a decent number of his films available on dvd. I've never seen his body of work spotlighted, I think most fans don't realize that Samurai Assasin, Sword of Doom, Red Lion, Kill!, and Zatoichi vs Yojimbo were all directed by the same person.

His modern day stuff is good too from what I've seen, Age of Assasins in particular blew me away. I've been trying to track down a copy of Nikudan (Human Bullet/Human Guinea Pigs), heard good things about that one

Archived