Power Rangers (1993-2009)

AlbertV

Disney made the official announcement that this season of Power Rangers, titled Power Rangers RPM is the final season. What started out as Saban's groundbreaking series from the Japanese Super Sentai would go on to be Disney's around 2003. With the location shoots in New Zealand, it seemed like a good idea to cut costs. However, with problems plaguing the set of RPM (including the firing of one executive producer mid-way through shooting), Disney has opted to end the long running series.

From what I have seen so far, RPM is by far the darkest in terms of themes. It involves an evil cybernetic entity known as Venjix who has taken over most of the world with the exception of Corinth City. When the government learns that Venjix plans to invade and take over Corinth, that's when our Rangers come in.

Red Eagle Ranger is Scott Truman (Eka Darville), whose father is the commander in charge of Corinth's protection.

Blue Lion Ranger is Flynn McAllister (Ari Boyland), a Scottish youngster who helped refugees enter the city from Venjix when Corinth was first under attack over a year ago.

Yellow Bear Ranger is Summer Landowne (Rose McIver), Scott's trusted friend and the one who helped him escape into Corinth a year ago udring the first Venjix attacks.

Green Shark Ranger is Ziggy Grover (Milo Cawthorne), the group's resident joker. Originally starting out as a con artist with no skills whatsoever, Ziggy forced himself to become the Green Ranger before Venjix's #1 henchlady was able to merge with the morpher.

Black Wolf Ranger is the enigmatic Dillon (Dan Ewing). Dillon is to the Power Rangers as Wolverine is to the X-Men. He has no real identity and he is a half-human, half cyborg with his robotics made by Venjix. However, his true human side has taken over his robotic side and is on the hunt for an old friend.

Compared to the original Engine Sentai Go-Onger, this is actually better in terms of its plot. Sadly, as mentioned, the original executive producer was fired by Disney halfway through production due to creative differences. Disney hired someone who got his start working for the very original Power Rangers series in 1993 as a screenwriter then producer. However, Disney decided after a total of 17 years, it was time to end the legacy of the Power Rangers.

Whether you liked them in the past or the present, Power Rangers made an impact on American shores and they will definitely be missed.

R.I.P. Power Rangers

A quick side note, the latest Super Sentai series in Japan, Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, looks awesome so far :)

UPDATE: An official announcement from Bandai, who makes the Power Rangers action figures, announced that the series is going to continue...well, I'm kind of excited because RPM is a great series so far and it only picks my interest as to how they will do Shinkenger.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crazedjustice888

I LOVE PR!! At least the series developed by Saban. I even got my gf into them. I do however like the later series and you are right, RPM is stacking up very well.

Elemental Fist

Thanksto Power Rangers, I discovered tokusatsu, I'm going to miss it. In Space, Lost Galaxy and Time Force are my three favorite seasons. I was all hyped up about Mystic Force due to the fact the Red Mystic Ranger was played by an actor Middle Eastern descent like me (I'm Egyptian while PR MF actor Firas Dirani is Libenese descent) however Mystic Force wasn't so great.

R.I.P Power Rangers

Well, I dont know if you read my update ElementalFist, but according to a spokesman from Bandai, who makes the PR action figures, Power Rangers is LIVING ON! :) So that does pose some great news.

I am enjoying RPM via Youtube (since here in FL, we dont get ABC Kids at noon due to the news) and on the Sentai side, Shinkenger is awesome so far

Fightingfist

I use to love power rangers loads loved the action figures the tv series. not anymore..

Currently, Power Rangers RPM is on a break. Of course they did leave a cliffhanger and when it returns, we should expect the Gold and Silver Rangers to join the others.

I liked Mystic Force didn't think too much of Operation Overdrive and haven't seen much of Jungle Fury, being the Uk we have yet to get RPM but sounds good so far.

The classic series for me was In Space that series had everything

Yeah RPM premiered 2 new episodes last week on ABC and they introduced the Gold and Silver Rangers, who are twins Gem and Gemma. They used to work with Dr. K (the Rangers mentor) and since the Venjix attacks, she never heard from them until now.

That's a good question...According to what I see, there were villains named "Jindrax" and "Retinax" but I don't see a Venjix.

For those who don't know, here's a little RPM storyline...Venjix was originally a computer virus created by the RPM Rangers mentor and creator, Dr. K., in an attempt to gain access to the outside world because she, along with fellow scientists Gem and Gemma, were duped by the government at the time.

Before she was able to stop the virus, she was captured by military police with the twins. During the first Venjix attack, Dr. K. has learned that Gem and Gemma decided to try to escape with the Ranger series Gold and Silver. They were never seen again until the last two episodes when they helped the other Rangers defeat Venjix himself temporarily, who has a robotic form.

What is interesting here with RPM is that they don't have nicknames like "Red Eagle Ranger, Blue Lion Ranger, etc." Of course you will see those nicks on the action figures. However, Dr. K. refers to the Rangers as "Ranger series (color)"...she doesn't even use their real names either unless they are not in Ranger form at times.

ThunderScore

I found the episode on a "Best of" DVD. In the WILD FORCE episode, "Forever Red" General Venjix tries to resurrect Serpenterra and all the Red Rangers (except Rocky) team up to stop him. I think they recycled a BEETLEBORGS costume for Venjix.

Good job ThunderScore...I wouldn't be surprised. One of the executive producers of RPM actually got his start writing many episodes for a lot of the old PR series including Wild Force.

ThunderScore
One of the executive producers of RPM actually got his start writing many episodes for a lot of the old PR series including Wild Force.

Judd Lynn, right? I think he worked on MMPR as well.

Yeah, he was brought in after Disney fired executive producer Eddie Guzelian over creative differences apparently. I can see why RPM is getting better...Lynn's input has really helped the show IMO.

ThunderScore
And yeh liked power rangers zeo.

Well here's something you might like:

c8916e4c7224eaa77143adda142ce4686cb9b2c7.jpg

And Remember...

dd626694a27812cfeb9a76752fa1148afb981323.jpg

jiujitsu77

good riddance. while it gave the spotlight to some talented young martial artists...i would go with ultraman anyday

Fightingfist

Well here's something you might like:

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=5242

And Remember...

picture.php?albumid=169&pictureid=5243

Thanks for the pics u sent me thunder, looks awesome

ThunderScore
good riddance. while it gave the spotlight to some talented young martial artists...i would go with ultraman anyday

52816c45752ae1a27bcb2e9ab1944a7e054082d5.jpg

b4c16d4a7627e4a571bcb571a4f74fefab8f7377.jpg

What about INFRA-MAN?

477363e241257a502d43e301add37232aa8fd387.jpg

crazedjustice888

I could never really get into Ultraman, too much wrestling in my opinion. I never have seen Inframan though...isn't that Shaw Bros?

crazedjustice888

Thats what I thought...still haven't gotten around to checking it out quite yet.

I like the stuff like Ultraman...recently read a book on the creator of Ultraman himself, Eiji Tsuburaya. He was also responsible for the creation of the original 1954 Godzilla suit :)

Back on topic...Power Rangers RPM looks to have hit the halfway mark. Gold and Silver Rangers Gem and Gemma have introduced themselves and they are still way too giddy for the other five. But they do take action and in their very giddy voices...

Gem: "We Shoot First"

Gemma: "And Ask Questions Later".

If the Power Rangers continue in 2010, which is the latest rumor, They might do something along the lines of Samurai or Elements, who knows.

Archived