Thoughts on these SB Films

deathdealer

deathdealer

I plan on making a huge order to build my ever growing SB Collection.

What are your thoughts these flicks:

Pursuit Of Vengeance (1977)

Soul Of The Sword (1978)

Usurpers Of Emperor’s Power (1983)

Rendezvous With Death (1980)

Twelve Gold Medallions The (1970)

Blood Brothers The (1973)

Brotherhood

Duel The (1971)

Oath Of Death

Two Champions Of Shaolin

Duel For Gold (1971)

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ironfistedmonk

Pursuit Of Vengeance (1977) - Chu Yuan film, I can't remember much about it TBH but you know what you are getting with one of his films, it's one of his earlier ones so it wont be too bad (see the Chu Yuan thread XD)

Soul Of The Sword (1978) - good film, a notch above the swordplay Chu Yuan was making, Ti Lung puts in one of his better performances

Usurpers Of Emperor’s Power (1983) - Very interesting film, I won't give anything away but I never expected it to end like it did!

Rendezvous With Death (1980) - Sun Chung doesn't make bad films, this one is highly recommended

Twelve Gold Medallions The (1970) - The old swordplays surprised me when I first started watching them, the Shaws ones anyway. They have great stories and are full of blood letting, this one is decent

Blood Brothers The (1973) - Chang Cheh's most well rounded film IMO, the main characters are superb and I much prefer this one to the Jet Li remake Warlords

Brotherhood - not seen

Duel The (1971) - Bloody as hell! I loved it

Oath Of Death - same story as Blood Brothers but not told as well but......bloody as hell!

Two Champions Of Shaolin - typical venoms ming vs ching, great stuff

Duel For Gold (1971) - more claret all over the place, deception and double crosses everywhere

apart from Brotherhood which I haven't seen all the others would be well worth getting IMO

Pursuit Of Vengeance (1977): didn't really care for it, bog-standard Chor Yuen, not much to say really.

Soul Of The Sword (1978): fricking great film, love the muted tone of this, tasty fights, a brilliant Shaw wuxia.

Usurpers Of Emperor’s Power (1983): This is one of my favourite Shaw's, love their late era stuff, that's my bag. Well-shot, with some good outdoor location work to spice things up. Choreo's decent, but tone's more important here - classic river raft setpiece though. The ending of this is so dark & twisted in the manner only Shaws can carry off I was up & cheering. Hell yeah.

Rendezvous With Death (1980): Classic Sun Chung, not quite Avenging Eagle, but I like it a bit more, just for some of its takes on things. Nothing like Tong Gaai & SC, this one's masterful.

Twelve Gold Medallions The (1970): I reckon this is one of, if not the finest, of Shaws early swordplays, something about this one that takes it way above just workmanlike Shaw sword clangers. Up there with Bells of Death.

Blood Brothers The (1973): I don't know why everyone goes so mad over this one, I see the scale & stuff, but it doesn't really move me like you'd assume it would from consensus. Think Chang Cheh surpassed it plenty times. But, it's one you have to see, as in I'd recommend you check it before some others I prefer, just for its rep, you might well agree with most more than me...

Brotherhood: This is one of those Hua Shan crime flicks... I watched a load all around the same time, (I'm including his Criminals series entries here too), so they all blurred a bit into one. Can't remember too much, some were great, some not so; one film stood out for all its rapid twists, can't remember if it was this one though... He's not the most out-there crime director, so nothing stands out in the mind from this. His wuxia on the other hand... lovely.

Duel The (1971): great film, one of the better Iron Triangle films, & they all got something.

Oath Of Death: Frack, I loovvve this one; like Blood Brothers, but that one is this one's bitch.

Two Champions Of Shaolin: bit messy, muddled, low down on my later CC list, think there's much more worthwhile, but the choreo's good.

Duel For Gold (1971): it's alright, decent early swordplay from Chor Yuan, not Intimate Confessions good, but decent. Definitely not on par with your earlier pick of the masterful 12 Gold Medallions, that takes Shaw swordplay to world-beating cinema status for the era... Duel For is more just a good one for Shaws, as most then were, but you know... Mighty One is good by the way, bit better from that year.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"Blood Brothers The (1973): I don't know why everyone goes so mad over this one, I see the scale & stuff, but it doesn't really move me like you'd assume it would from consensus. Think Chang Cheh surpassed it plenty times. But, it's one you have to see, as in I'd recommend you check it before some others I prefer, just for its rep, you might well agree with most more than me..."

The Blood Brothers is one of the few Shaws films to actually have a realistic romantic dynamic that is pivotal to the story. Although Ti Lung is wrong for what he does you still can understand why it happens. This depth of identifying with the characters in the story is why many people praise it so highly. Very few Shaws films reach this depth of romantic motive. The fights are choreographed very well and the there is a very grim and relentless tone to the film.

Twelve Gold Medallions is a great film as well.

Soul Of The Sword is also a must have. Ku Feng's character is awesome in this one.

Two Champions Of Shaolin is actually a really good film. I think the english dub on the R1release is the way to go on this one.

Duel For Gold is highly entertaining.

Rendezvous With Death is a beautifully shot film.

Wont say much but I love Soul of the Sword (martial world done right), and Blood Brothers is a true classic. Rendezvous is good but my vcd has quality issues, DVD likely would look much better.

The Blood Brothers is one of the few Shaws films to actually have a realistic romantic dynamic that is pivotal to the story. Although Ti Lung is wrong for what he does you still can understand why it happens. This depth of identifying with the characters in the story is why many people praise it so highly. Very few Shaws films reach this depth of romantic motive. The fights are choreographed very well and the there is a very grim and relentless tone to the film.

Interesting thoughts; it is kind of a rarity. You could be describing my thoughts/affection towards Shaolin Mantis or One Armed Swordsman for similar reasons. So far as the Blood Brothers story goes though, that's all very well, but I prefered looking at Ling Ling's boobies in Oath Of Death.

Haven't seen the others yet, but...

Soul Of The Sword (1978)

Duel The (1971)

Two Champions Of Shaolin

...are all worth getting, I think.

Soul of the Sword, Blood Brothers and The Duel are IMHO must-have's.

Soul of the Sword is an incredibly atmospheric piece - great story, great actors (Ku Feng in particular rules in that film). Sort of what I imagine an ideal Gu Long adaptation should look like...

Blood Brothers is a classic - and in terms of characterization and character development, it's IMHO one of Chang Cheh's best.

The Duel is a movie with style. CC at his best. The action is awesome and the knife fights are totally...sexy. Can't think of a better word to describe them...:-] One of the best Shaw films I know.

Twelve Gold Medallions is a solid, very entertaining and enjoyable wuxia film with great cast (I quite adored Ching Miao in that movie). Highly recommendable - esp. if you like late 1960s / early 1970s Shaw swordplays.

Two Champions of Shaolin is a pretty good flick, too. Not the best Venom film out there, I think, but it's still a very entertaining movie with cool choreography and some fairly memorable gore moments...:-]

shaolin drunkard

Pursuit Of Vengeance (1977)

Usurpers Of Emperor’s Power (1983)

Oath Of Death

Two Champions Of Shaolin

Duel For Gold (1971)

Purchasing those your steps are stable.All are definitely worth owning.I have just seen few clips of Rendezvouz but it`s likely classic.Is duel same movie as duel of fists?I hated it but I do not like any shaw film based on modern day except chinatown kid.

shaolin drunkard
Why do you hate Duel made by Chang Cheh???

fights are not that great.But about equally negative thing even storylines in modern day shaws not that interesting.Duel of fists however is still little bit better than brothers of the walled city,4 riders or angry guest.

ironfistedmonk
fights are not that great.But about equally negative thing even storylines in modern day shaws not that interesting.Duel of fists however is still little bit better than brothers of the walled city,4 riders or angry guest.

The Duel and Duel of Fists are 2 different films mate, Duel of Fists is set in "modern day" Thailand whilst The Duel is set in early 1900's China, both are pretty good IMO.

shaolin drunkard
The Duel and Duel of Fists are 2 different films mate, Duel of Fists is set in "modern day" Thailand whilst The Duel is set in early 1900's China, both are pretty good IMO.

hmm thx.I need to check out The Duel.

shaolin drunkard
Wow,Brothers From The Walled City is one of my favourite modern day SB things.That proves tastes are different.I prefer watching these movies than boring swordsman movies...

In fact it starts quite ok.Wang Lung Wei is presented as tough cop you do not want to mess with.And when his daughter falls into her destiny I recall thinking well,stage is set for massive showdown.But it will not deliver for me:cry:

... So far as the Blood Brothers story goes though, that's all very well, but I prefered looking at Ling Ling's boobies in Oath Of Death.

BOOBIES?!

:nerd:

Archived