Lone Wolf and Cub/Shogun Assassin..

lillippa328

in Japanese:

1 子連れ狼 子を貸し腕貸しつかまつる Wolf with Child in Tow: Child and Expertise or Rent

2 子連れ狼 三途の川の乳母車 Wolf with Child in Tow: Baby Cart of the River of Sanzu

3 子連れ狼 死に風に向う乳母車 Wolf with Child in Tow: Baby Cart Against the Winds of Death

4 子連れ狼 親の心子の心 Wolf with Child in Tow: The Heart of a Parent, the Heart of a Child

5 子連れ狼 冥府魔道 Wolf with Child in Tow: Land of Demon

6 子連れ狼 地獄へ行くぞ!大五郎 Wolf with Child in Tow: Now We Go to Hell, Daigoro!

3 aka Shogun Assassin 2: Lightning Swords of Death

4 aka Shogun Assassin 3:Slashing Blades of Carnage

5 aka Shogun Assassin 4: Five Fistfuls of Gold

6 aka Shogun Assassin 5: Cold Road to Hell

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in Japanese:

1 子連れ狼 子を貸し腕貸しつかまつる Wolf with Child in Tow: Child and Expertise or Rent

2 子連れ狼 三途の川の乳母車 Wolf with Child in Tow: Baby Cart of the River of Sanzu

3 子連れ狼 死に風に向う乳母車 Wolf with Child in Tow: Baby Cart Against the Winds of Death

4 子連れ狼 親の心子の心 Wolf with Child in Tow: The Heart of a Parent, the Heart of a Child

5 子連れ狼 冥府魔道 Wolf with Child in Tow: Land of Demons

6 子連れ狼 地獄へ行くぞ!大五郎 Wolf with Child in Tow: Now We Go to Hell, Daigoro!

not sure whats right

1 Kodure Ookami Ko Wo Kashi: Child and Expertise for hire

2 Kodure Ookami Sanzu No Kawa: Baby Cart of The River sanzu

3 Kodure Ookami Shini Kaze:Baby Cart Against the Wind of Death

4Kodure Ookami Oyankokoro: Heart of the Parent, Heart of the Child

5Kodure Ookami Meifu Mado: Land of Demons

6Kodure Ookami Jigoku: Now We Go to Hell, Daigoro!

Guest WuxiaFan
I cringed when Yagyu Retsudo was reffered to as the Shogun

That's all part of the reason SHOGUN ASSASSIN is a cult classic, and not meant to be taken as the legitimate story.SHOGUN ASSASSIN is the first 2 LWC movies edited together into 1 movie. There's so many scenes that are chopped up and placed at certain intervals that if taken as the real story, the entire movie is wrong. But when you watch SHOGUN ASSASSIN, you should watch it for the cult status it is and when you don't feel like reading subtitles.

The real LWC story is told through the original 6 movies released by AnimEigo or Eureka. The AnimEigo box set only contains the 6 original movies, but AnimEigo also has the best version, IMO, of SHOGUN ASSASSIN released separately. The UK Eureka box set contains the original 6 movies plus SHOGUN ASSASSIN all in 1 box set.

That's all part of the reason SHOGUN ASSASSIN is a cult classic, and not meant to be taken as the legitimate story.SHOGUN ASSASSIN is the first 2 LWC movies edited together into 1 movie. There's so many scenes that are chopped up and placed at certain intervals that if taken as the real story, the entire movie is wrong. But when you watch SHOGUN ASSASSIN, you should watch it for the cult status it is and when you don't feel like reading subtitles.

The real LWC story is told through the original 6 movies released by AnimEigo or Eureka. The AnimEigo box set only contains the 6 original movies, but AnimEigo also has the best version, IMO, of SHOGUN ASSASSIN released separately. The UK Eureka box set contains the original 6 movies plus SHOGUN ASSASSIN all in 1 box set.

Also watch because of it's different story.

DeathFuMaster

In everyone's opinion, which is better the Eureka set or the Animeigo set? I need to know because Im about to invest in one, keep in mind I already own shogun assassin so that should not effect my decision either way. Also price isn't a big concern, I just want the superior set.

DeathFuMaster: Animeigo is top of the line! Now are you referring to the Subtitled versions or the English Dubbed versions? Because "Shogun Assassin" is a combined story of the 1st. (2) movies but English Dubbed. So you have to see the uncut Japanese Animeigo subtitled volumes to really love this series.

DeathFuMaster

I was speaking of the two subbed LW&C sets. Animeigo and Eureka (R2) both have good sets, but I was wondering if one was better than the other.

I was speaking of the two subbed LW&C sets. Animeigo and Eureka (R2) both have good sets, but I was wondering if one was better than the other.

There are screen cap comparisons at the Bullets 'n' Babes forum:

Look here

Overall, I think the AnimEigo discs are probably better. There are rumors of a blu-ray release from them circulating as well...

Thanks for the link to the screens.

I have searched alot for comparison between the two releases but cant find any.

I have read that some prefer the subtitles on the Eureka release since they are white with black borders and smaller fonts, the Animeigo release are suppose to have bigger subtitles that are yellow with black borders..

The R2 set have got some great reviews so i dont think anyone will be dissipointed if ordering it...

I have not seen any of the versions myself.. but since i live in europe and shippin i will go for the R2.

DeathFuMaster

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I will probably get the Animeigo set, just because I like their subs better(the different colors and definitions are cool) and some of the screens for the R1 look better(especially when the R2 is being converted to NTSC). Neither one have much to show in terms of extras either, which is dissapointing. The R2 set is cheaper and Eureka ships free to the US, so it may very well come down to money since both sets are almost evenly matched. I would say either way is a good way to go, especially after seeing those screens.

Guest WuxiaFan
Thanks for the links and suggestions. I will probably get the Animeigo set, just because I like their subs better(the different colors and definitions are cool) and some of the screens for the R1 look better(especially when the R2 is being converted to NTSC). Neither one have much to show in terms of extras either, which is dissapointing. The R2 set is cheaper and Eureka ships free to the US, so it may very well come down to money since both sets are almost evenly matched. I would say either way is a good way to go, especially after seeing those screens.

One thing about the Eureka set is that it includes SHOGUN ASSASSIN and the AnimEigo set does not. However. the AnimEigo Reconstructed version of SHOGUN ASSASSIN is considered to be the best version, but you have to buy it separately from LWC box set. :tongue:

• Administrator

I know that this is a small complaint, but in Animeigo's SHOGUN ASSASSIN, when they show the two brief shots used in the film that were stock footage, they felt the need to tell us that with an on-screen notice during the clips! I thought that was really stupid. Somewhere, on the cover or in the menu, they had mentioned that there are two beief shots that they weren't able to get remastered for the release because they were stock footage. Okay, I appreciate that info, but it wasn't necessary to do that during the film!

When I showed it to my son for the first time, it was very distracting and takes you out of the movie.

Like I said- a small complaint about a company that I cherish, but I can't fathom why they did that. Did it bug anyone else, or am I just nitpicking?

BOB,

I hope they dont do that on the Eureka release.. It would bug me aswell.. save things like that for the extras or notes in booklet..

BOB,

I hope they dont do that on the Eureka release.. It would bug me aswell.. save things like that for the extras or notes in booklet..

I watchted the whole thing over xmas & it all seemed fine to me. I'll tell what I'll do some photos of the set.

I watchted the whole thing over xmas & it all seemed fine to me. I'll tell what I'll do some photos of the set.

Nice of you! Im so looking forward to the day it will arrive at my post office, ill guess i have to wait 2 weeks or so.. shipping have been kind of slow from the UK lately..

However. the AnimEigo Reconstructed version of SHOGUN ASSASSIN is considered to be the best version,

What makes it the better version?

Guest WuxiaFan
I know that this is a small complaint, but in Animeigo's SHOGUN ASSASSIN, when they show the two brief shots used in the film that were stock footage, they felt the need to tell us that with an on-screen notice during the clips! I thought that was really stupid. Somewhere, on the cover or in the menu, they had mentioned that there are two beief shots that they weren't able to get remastered for the release because they were stock footage. Okay, I appreciate that info, but it wasn't necessary to do that during the film! When I showed it to my son for the first time, it was very distracting and takes you out of the movie. Like I said- a small complaint about a company that I cherish, but I can't fathom why they did that. Did it bug anyone else, or am I just nitpicking?

Hey brother - YES it bugged me to! But the shots do stand out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the film that was remastered to pristine condition. So, my guess is the folks at AnimEigo maybe felt they should explain that.

:yociexp44:

What makes it the better version?

From AnimEigo:

"When we set out to release Shogun Assassin, we knew that the currently available materials would not be up to AnimEigo's typical obsessive quality standards. But as everyone knows, Shogun Assassin was created by re-editing the first two Lone Wolf & Cub films, and when we released those films, we got fresh prints off the original master prints, and did new digital video transfers.

So, being almost as crazy as most of the characters in the movie, we came up with a devious plan. We ripped the film off a bootleg DVD and used it as a guide to reconstruct the movie using our pristine masters of the original two films. We literally laid the new video on top of the old, precisely recreating every edit. With the exception of about 2 seconds of stock footage of some castles that we were not able to obtain, every frame has been restored using uncompressed 24p (video-geek jargon for “really good”) source materials. Even better, the film is now presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic!"

IMO, the AnimEigo version is the one to get despite the minor flaw above.

:27:

I have now watched the first three movies in lone wolf series and i love it...It is truly a great piece of cinema, a masterpiece.

I must say i even feel a bit ashamed not to have watched those before.

It may be because i watched Shogun Assassin way back in the 90´s i have skipped this.

I mean, Shogun Assassin is dubbed and im kind of allergic to dubbed movies unless its watching a cartoon with my kids..

But i adore this series and when i have watched all movies im gonna give Shogun Assassin a serious chans..

Btw, The Eureka version of Lone Wolf is exelent, great transfer, translation and nice coverart with original poster art for each movie inside the case..

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
For those interested of comics but do not want to spend money into excellent (I have all volumes) paperbacks and your library does not have them, they can be read online...

http://www.mangavolume.com/serie-archive/mangas-lone-wolf-and-cub/

Now get coffee/tea and spend some quality time with Ogami Itto and Daigoro...

Wow, that's awesome! I have the collection, but I have a lot of friends who'd like to read this that could benefit from this. Thanks for the link!

For anyone that thought about reading these but hasn't- now's your chance. They are excellent!

I bought the entire book series but only read 2 volumes, I have to start reading them again.

Archived