Lone Wolf and Cub/Shogun Assassin..

lillippa328

lillippa328

ok..so i havnt seen these films yet...heres the question....

Which ones should I watch? Probly LWAC right?Thats the original corect?

also, wheres the best place to pick them up,because holy shit,theyre expensive...i can only find the first one for 20...i would prefer a boxset with all 7 or somthing....

any help? thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an inexpensive Thai box (legit) that used the same masters & English subs as the AnimEigo box, but it's out of print. There's Australian discs, but the first movie is missing for some reason. I think the AnimEigo box is the only real option right now; maybe the next deepdiscount sale.

As far as the order of the movies -- wikipedia is your friend: Lone Wolf and Cub

The Amazing Psycho Per

IMO you should get the LWAC and not the bastardized Shogun Assassin... I'm not a big fan of the last episodes but still.

You're in luck, on animeigo's site (they're the one producing the DVDs), the prices have been lowered. 12,99 USD a piece for the movies, 74.99 USD for the 6 movies boxset. I don't think you'll ever get it cheaper then that... For exemple, the cheapest after that is HKflix with 89.95 USD.

Here's the link:http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/LWC.t

Guest WuxiaFan
IMO you should get the LWAC and not the bastardized Shogun Assassin... I'm not a big fan of the last episodes but still.

You're in luck, on animeigo's site (they're the one producing the DVDs), the prices have been lowered. 12,99 USD a piece for the movies, 74.99 USD for the 6 movies boxset. I don't think you'll ever get it cheaper then that... For exemple, the cheapest after that is HKflix with 89.95 USD.

Here's the link:http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/LWC.t

IMO, SHOGUN ASSASSIN is a cult classic worth having along side the complete LW&C 6-disc box set. Yes, it is the first 2 LW&C films edited together; yes the English dub changes the story from the originals; but if you know that going in, it's fun to watch when you don't feel like reading subtitles. Recommend getting the AnimEigo reconstructed version.

This thread should be combined with the other LW&C active thread and moved to Japanese Cult Cinema.:o

Stuntman Jules

In a weird way I actually prefer Shogun Assassin. Its dub and rescoring is fantastic and it leaves us with the truly finest direction of Kenji Misumi.

The original Lone Wolf and Cub films, while they are punctuated with so many great, blood spraying set pieces, feel very episodic, even within themselves sometimes (which makes sense since most are combinations of assorted volumes of Kazuo Koike's manga). Shogun Assassin feels more like a continuous, cohesive, unfolding drama.

Baby Cart at the River Styx is the best of the six films anyways.

kungfusamurai

I hadn't seen Shogun Assassin before I saw the original LW&C films. I've since tried to watch it, but the English dub is a real turn-off. Plus they mangled the story of the two movies to make them fit into one. I think the movies are best seen in their original language in their original forms.

KFS

Stuntman Jules

I find your opinion interesting as to me, Shogun Assassin is the finest dub or Americanization of a Japanese film made before the anime boom. Unlike with the vast majority of other Asian film dubs, Robert Houston recut the film with great care so it would make sense, hired top talent who redubbed the film, again, with a modicum of care and then had it rescored. The new score beats the music of the old films ten fold, I think. It sounds like if Goblin were to attempt music with an Asiatic flair.

The then seven Gibran Evans' narration as Daigoro also takes the film to a whole 'nother cinematic level, IMO.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Normally I demand films in their original, uncut, subtitled form. But I admit, I have a huge place in my heart for SHOGUN ASSASSIN. As stated above, this bastardized version has it's own cool thing going on, and I love the dubbing, narration, and music.

To me it's like a bonus oddity that goes with the collection of real LONE WOLF AND CUB movies.

kungpowmaster

I LOVE these films, and picked up the Shogun Assassin complete set for under $50 at best buy, late last year. I also have the single discs of LWAC. I would recommend a 1st timer to see Shogun Assassin 1st, as it is just great in every way. This would wet the appetite to see the subtitled original movies. Of course 3-5, or is it 6? Of them were given a new dub, to make the other Shogun Assassin series. These films are masterpieces. Though I like Zatoichi more, these are awesome cinema!

Apologies for the late reply.

I really love the first Shogun Assassin for it's cool english dub and soundtrack (been tryin to get a hold of the OST for a long time). But I prefer watching the rest of the series with the original Lone Wolf and Cub volumes. I didn't like how they switched the voice actor for the rest of the Shogun Assassin eng. dubs. Sucks, in my opinion.

Is the lwac different than shogun assasin, I have seen shogun assasin but i am a novice to lwac. Is the series different stories?

Guest WuxiaFan
Is the lwac different than shogun assasin, I have seen shogun assasin but i am a novice to lwac. Is the series different stories?

LONE WOLF AND CUB is a 6-film series; one of the greatest and most beloved samuari series of all time.:bigsmile: Here are the 6 films:

Lone Wolf and Cub 1: Sword of Vengence

Lone Wolf and Cub 2: Baby Cart at the River Styx

Lone Wolf and Cub 3: Baby Cart to Hades

Lone Wolf and Cub 4: Baby Cart in Peril

Lone Wolf and Cub 5: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons

Lone Wolf and Cub 6: White Heaven in Hell

Here are the complete uncut versions of all 6 films:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.535863/qx/details.htm

SHOGUN ASSASSIN is the first two LWAC films edited together into one film with an English dub. The English dub changes the storyline, but still its a classic and fun to watch when you're not in the mood to read subtitles.:smile: IMO, this is best version of SHOGUN ASSASSIN:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.538163/qx/details.htm

There are lots of threads on LWAC/Shogun Assassin, so suggest doing a search in this Forum. Welcome the Forums, BTW! :smile:

For UK fans, there's a boxset of the LWAC films coming out on DVD in the UK on 16 November. Its on the Eureka label, supervised by the people who do their fab Masters of Cinema DVDs, and done from new Japanese masters.

Guest WuxiaFan
For UK fans, there's a boxset of the LWAC films coming out on DVD in the UK on 16 November. Its on the Eureka label, supervised by the people who do their fab Masters of Cinema DVDs, and done from new Japanese masters.

Eureka is awesome. I have thier HANZO THE RAZOR and FEMALE PRISONER 701 box sets! So, I would expect their LWAC box set to be excellent, also.:smile:

yeah there was one back in 2005 by Artsmagic called Lone Wolf & Cub The Wolf Pack but i hear the quality is poor. But i think i'll get The Complete Lone Wolf & Cub Boxset because it has Shogun Assassin as well.

Guest WuxiaFan
Never watched Shogun Assassin before as I've seen the seperate movies many times, I'm kind of intrigued now.

:ooh:

Tosh - SHOGUN ASSASSIN is awesome when you don't feel like reading subs! The Eureka box set includes the full, uncut 6 films plus SHOGUN ASSASSIN. It looks like a super box. If you just need SHOGUN ASSASSIN, get AnimEigo's reconstructed version, as that one is the best! C'mon, get it and enjoy!! :xd:

anyone got the box set yet, how is it?

HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend this box-set!

http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/LWC.t

i know its only region 1 but for all those who can play a region 1 its wonderful!!

Theyre all remastered gorgeously and the subtitles are so perfect, theyre even color coded when its more than 1 person talking so you can easily acknowledge who is talking, and it defines terminology that might not be too familiar to some people....

HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend this box-set!

http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/LWC.t

i know its only region 1 but for all those who can play a region 1 its wonderful!!

Theyre all remastered gorgeously and the subtitles are so perfect, theyre even color coded when its more than 1 person talking so you can easily acknowledge who is talking, and it defines terminology that might not be too familiar to some people....

yes i can play region 1-6 but i was on about the box set that came out on the that came out a few days ago on the 16th a region 2.

Guest WuxiaFan
anyone got the box set yet, how is it?

I have the AnimEigo box set, so I'm not planning to buy the UK box set. However, I have bought box sets from Eureka before and highly recommend them! They are beautifully packaged, their prints are flawless and uncut, and the box sets I've bought have nice booklets included on the films themselves. Also, the UK boxset includes SHOGUN ASSASSIN where the AnimEigo box set does not. So, its a complete LW&C set. Amazon.co.uk has a good description of the set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Lone-Wolf-Cub-Boxset/dp/B002MPTIYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1259091808&sr=1-1

The Eureka box sets I have are the HANZO THE RAZOR set and the FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION trilogy box set. If I didn't already have the AnimEigo box set, I would buy the Eureka box set.

i've already seen Shogun Assassin but i checking out Lone Wolf & Cub for the first time today also got some of those dark horse books.

Lone Wolf and Cub 2: Baby Cart at the River Styx

Lone Wolf and Cub 3: Baby Cart to Hades

Lone Wolf and Cub 4: Baby Cart in Peril

Lone Wolf and Cub 5: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons

Lone Wolf and Cub 6: White Heaven in Hell

in Japanese:

1 子連れ狼 子を貸し腕貸しつかまつる Wolf with Child in Tow: Child and Expertise or Rent

2 子連れ狼 三途の川の乳母車 Wolf with Child in Tow: Baby Cart of the River of Sanzu

3 子連れ狼 死に風に向う乳母車 Wolf with Child in Tow: Baby Cart Against the Winds of Death

4 子連れ狼 親の心子の心 Wolf with Child in Tow: The Heart of a Parent, the Heart of a Child

5 子連れ狼 冥府魔道 Wolf with Child in Tow: Land of Demons

6 子連れ狼 地獄へ行くぞ!大五郎 Wolf with Child in Tow: Now We Go to Hell, Daigoro!

Archived