Some Important Questions Concerning the SB DVD Releases

deathdealer

deathdealer

Ok, after countless threads and posts, some defining answers for these questions should be available.

Which releases are better, the R3s or the R1s?

Which R1 discs have this "blur" issue?

Are there any R1 discs that are the best editions of the film worldwide?

They are many IVL's that I have yet to get. Is now the best time to get them? Will they be going OOP soon?

What are the prospects of any SB films going Blu-Ray?

Thanks...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa, someone who actually buys every release has to answer this question. I generally buy R3's and VCD. That blur thing however is real, its not a reason to not buy the celestials though.

The Dragon Dynasty, BCI and Media Blasters r1 releases are a lot better than the IVL r3 releases. The Image Entertainment offers the same quality as the r3's. Well Go USA releases are a little better than the r3's.

They are many IVL's that I have yet to get. Is now the best time to get them? Will they be going OOP soon?

I know for a fact some IVL r3 titles are already oop. The r1's are still easy to find in stores and online, but I would start getting any r3's I don't have or haven't been released in the U.S.

What are the prospects of any SB films going Blu-Ray?

Before BCI went out of business, Opium and the Kung fu Master was released on Bluray. Life Gamble was also supposed to be on Bluray too, but was never released.

Venom10463 summed it up well :).

That can only be determined by each film and even at that, it's not easy. Sometimes both would have something the other hasn't - 'Legendary Weapons Of China' IVL has a Cantonese soundtrack in hideous 5.1, whilst Image has the incorrect Mandarin soundtrack, but in mono with better subtitles.

Sometimes custom versions are your best bet to combine all good elements of existing DVDs into one perfect version.

Which R1 discs have this "blur" issue?

The blur (actually 'ghosting') issue is caused by an incompetent conversion. Dragon Dynasty, BCI and Media Blasters are R1 distributors who have avoided this problem by converting correctly from the PAL/HD master.

On a number of occasions when Image attempt to correct the ghosting (I believe all their discs suffer from ghosting), IVL's are actually preferable. I'm not sure about WellGoUsa being better than IVL, but they're definitely the worst lot doing these in R1 land. It's been pathetic really - extremely annoying.

In terms of mono soundtracks, downmixes have happened a few times (from the hideous 5.1), but all distributors (with exception to the ignorant WellGoUSA) do intentionally include mono (including Image this time). Another problem is the inclusion of the wrong language sometimes.

Subtitles can vary in quality. Some choose to fix them, some don't. MB are the better distributor doing them compared to others because they use a translator.

Are there any R1 discs that are the best editions of the film worldwide?

In R1 for the film (not including the handling of the extras), I'd say 'The Master', 'Deadly Duo', 'Challenge Of The Masters', 'Life Gamble' and 'Opium And The Kung Fu Master' are the best available so far (even though subtitles on the BCIs aren't very good).

'Heroes Two' is interlaced, but I suppose it otherwise wins because the French DVD doesn't have English subtitles. Note however that the initial non-anamorphic versions (before Celestial remastered it again in HD) do not suffer from frame-cuts (R4 is the best, unless R2 used it and improved the subtitles).

As for the Dragon Dynasty releases, their only problem is the subtitles, but R2's Momentum releases are looking to sort that problem (rendering them the best instead). We might even get the opportunity of having a Cantonese soundtrack for 'My Young Auntie'.

My advice would be to look around on the forums for more information. R2 and R4 releases exist as well.

The Amazing Psycho Per

It's pretty much now or never. I wrote to IVL about two OOP titles I wanted to get (Secret service or the Imperial court and Lady Assassin), and they replied that did not project to do further pressings. Plus many other OOP titles have been in that state for a while. So my guess is, grab what you can while they are still available because: First, like Linn pointed out once, there is no way we'll see R1 releases the same quantity we have seen in R3 (and with the actual conjoncture, we might not even see all releases that were planned. Second, there is a strong chance that once a title is OOP or even when they out of stock, it will remain that way.

I know for a fact some IVL r3 titles are already oop. The r1's are still easy to find in stores and online, but I would start getting any r3's I don't have or haven't been released in the U.S.

Can someone provide a good list of what IVL R3 Shaws are OOP at this point?

lillippa328
I have a question.......... where do I go about getting Ip Man on DVD? I want to see Donnie Yen because I admire and respect his work so much:-(())

u can find ip man on most all sites now

That's where I ordered most of mine from but they take a long time and shipping is steep. They even sent me the wrong order once, but I do think they have better availability.

That's where I ordered most of mine from but they take a long time and shipping is steep. They even sent me the wrong order once, but I do think they have better availability.

I just placed an order - shipping was ~$8 to the US, but was via surface (6-8 weeks??) I'll check back in when it arrives for an actual delivery time.

deathdealer

Really? I thought Image and IVL were about the same, transfer wise. And thought that since the R1s contained the original dubs and all, they would be the better release.

Really? I thought Image and IVL were about the same, transfer wise. And thought that since the R1s contained the original dubs and all, they would be the better release.

The blur (actually 'ghosting') issue is caused by an incompetent conversion. Dragon Dynasty, BCI and Media Blasters are R1 distributors who have avoided this problem by converting correctly from the PAL/HD master.

On a number of occasions when Image attempt to correct the ghosting (I believe all their discs suffer from ghosting), IVL's are actually preferable.

IVLs are smoother because Image try to correct by time-stretching, but only end up making it worse:).

Has anyone compared the Zoke Culture DVD's to the R3's? I just got Crippled Avengers, 5 Shaolin Masters and Invincalbe Shaolin, watched Crippled Avengers and I'd say the quality is equal to other R3 releases I've seen.

Has anyone compared the Zoke Culture DVD's to the R3's? I just got Crippled Avengers, 5 Shaolin Masters and Invincalbe Shaolin, watched Crippled Avengers and I'd say the quality is equal to other R3 releases I've seen.

Ports I'd say, although I can't confirm.

The DVDs with the more substantial differences (image, etc) come outside Asia.

I just placed an order - shipping was ~$8 to the US, but was via surface (6-8 weeks??) I'll check back in when it arrives for an actual delivery time.

http://shaw.intercontinental.com.hk/en/ was actually out of stock on the 3 titles I ordered - sent me an order cancellation. I had tried to get:

Secret Service of the Imperial Court DVD

The Lady Assassin DVD

Ghost Eyes VCD

Looks like they really don't have a stock status on each item they sell, so even though they allow you to purchase it, it may be out of stock.

shaolin drunkard

One day I try again to watch this.Last year I gave up after 15 mins,was not impressed at all.

Ports I'd say, although I can't confirm.

The DVDs with the more substantial differences (image, etc) come outside Asia.

They are ports. Only major difference is simplified Chinese subs instead of traditional Chinese subs, apparently.

They are ports. Only major difference is simplified Chinese subs instead of traditional Chinese subs, apparently.

Ahhhh. Thanks for letting me know!

http://shaw.intercontinental.com.hk/en/ was actually out of stock on the 3 titles I ordered - sent me an order cancellation. I had tried to get:

The Lady Assassin DVD

Ghost Eyes VCD

Looks like they really don't have a stock status on each item they sell, so even though they allow you to purchase it, it may be out of stock.

I want lady profesional wander if they have it. Will email them.

I want lady profesional wander if they have it. Will email them.

Funny - I just ordered that yesterday... here is the note I got this morning:

"Thank you for shopping at MovieSuper!

We regret to inform you that the following item you ordered is currently out

of stock:

LADY PROFESSIONAL, THE - DVD

Would you like to have another film in its place? Please let us know!"

Guess we're out of luck there too...

Archived