Kenji Misumi's "Ken"

HAZ

Hi,

I'm a kenji Misumi fan, generally speaking. I was wondering if anyone here has ever checked out his film "Ken". All the Misumi films I've seen have been set in the past & thos one has a more contemporary setting. What's the popular opinion on this one? Is it worth checking out? I'm also slightly curious about his film "Buddah". Has anyone here seen that one?

Here is a series of clips from Ken. It looks pretty cool:

Thanks

h

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Hi HAZ, this film is mostly a moral example of mastering the ken. It's a really well done film, though there isn't a lot of sword fights in the film, there are confrontations at a restaruant, in a park, etc. The ending is a little bit of a let down yet not disappointing. Raizo is more examplary to what become his aspiring peers. I don't remember the film in great detail but I think it's definitely worth owning. Raizo fans will certaintly appreciate it. Enjo, is another great Raizo contemporary film, also co-starring Tatsuya Nakadai. A must have film the latter.

There was a thread on this movie some time back, maybe a year or two, some other people had some opinions on it (all good from what I remember). I'd like to give this a watch, shame they couldn't play this on IFC.

This is a good movie, and very noir-ish. I think more could have done with the kendo scenes, but this isn't an action movie. If you're familiar with any of Mishima's work, it's usually about a single alienated teenager who chooses his own way to strike back at society. So bear that in mind before watching it, things can be kind of avant-garde; but check it out if you like Raizo, because he gives one of his best career performances.

Archived