Hwang Jang Lee

Guest daTOAD

Another interview with yet another ace kicker, anyone know if this Hwang Jang-Lee interview has been translated into English?.

• Like 7

On 10/5/2020 at 8:03 PM, DragonClaws said:

Another interview with yet another ace kicker, anyone know if this Hwang Jang-Lee interview has been translated into English?.

If you need subs for a few of these I can tell you the method I used, if you're happy enough with the quality of the translation. If you're interested send me a direct message.

Cheers

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

If you need subs for a few of these I can tell you the method I used, if you're happy enough with the quality of the translation. If you're interested send me a direct message.

Cheers

Thank you @Dredderick_Tatum, I'll be in touch in the next few day's.

• Like 2

Hwang Jeong-ri confronting a young Won Jin for picking his pocket in 1980's Hitman In The Hand Of Buddha. The two super kickers would work together on several more films, but as a far as I'm aware, this is the only time they fight one on one and it's much too brief, but better than nothing.

eng with ger scene - hitman in the hand of buddha [the swordsman] [1980] - 인무가인.mp4[2020-12-01 17-30-43.441].jpg

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

How cool to see HJL as a tourist, just having fun, not killing anyone :D  Thx for sharing!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

DragonClaws
On 6/1/2021 at 1:55 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

How cool to see HJL as a tourist, just having fun, not killing anyone :D  Thx for sharing!

He's got a good taste in classical music too, when he stops to hear the busker's/street musicians playing.

• Like 3

Here's the actual clip of Hwang Jeong-ri vs Won Jin in 1981's Hitman In The Hand Of Buddha, but it's still kinda sad that this is all we get between these two super-kicking gods. This scene was actually cut from the version I originally saw when I was a kid, I noticed WJ and wondered why he was not doing any fighting. This is in German but was the best visually.

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer

Today's dose of Hwang Jang Lee, the rare as hen's teeth VHS of 'Quit Your Life', his penultimate movie from 1994 (if you include his blink and you'll miss it appearance in 1996's 'Boss') which was directed by Kwon Il-soo (yours for US$110!) - 

HwangJangLee.thumb.jpg.1273bdbeb2a5e793fb5ec4d334f35a8b.jpg

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 11/1/2021 at 11:37 PM, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Here's the actual clip of Hwang Jeong-Li vs Won Jin in 1981's Hitman In The Hand Of Buddha, but it's still kinda sad that this is all we get between these two super-kicking gods. This scene was actually cut from the version I originally saw when I was a kid, I noticed WJ and wondered why he was not doing any fighting. This is in German but was the best visually.

The Eastern Heroes DVD removed this scene as it had the Ocean Shores copyright on it!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

22 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The Eastern Heroes DVD removed this scene as it had the Ocean Shores copyright on it!

Cheers for the info, that is the version I have lol. Now I know why, I'm more understanding but still upset.

You don't know why Won Jin's scenes from To Catch A Thief were cut from the Hong Kong version, do you? That one really puzzles me.

Cheers

Edited by Dredderick_Tatum
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer

An interesting clip from 2019 taken from Arirang TV of Hwang Jang Lee training a foreigner. The narration feels a little embellished, claiming that he featured in 340 Hong Kong movies (!?) & created the drunken fighting style (although I think the narrator may have misinterpreted what he was saying for this one), but still great to see HJL in action! - 

https://fb.watch/j4W84znt3e/?mibextid=2Rb1fB

HwangJangLee.thumb.jpg.37030861e6f2aed2a0389504ee8882ae.jpg

• Like 7

J.J. Hayden
4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

An interesting clip from 2019 taken from Arirang TV of Hwang Jang Lee training a foreigner. The narration feels a little embellished, claiming that he featured in 340 Hong Kong movies (!?) & created the drunken fighting style (although I think the narrator may have misinterpreted what he was saying for this one), but still great to see HJL in action! - 

LOL, the narrator was pulling that info out of his ass :D But yes it's great to see Hwang Jeong-ri is still looking good and great seeing Kwon Seong-yeong there too, wish he'd have thrown some kicks too.

• Like 5

PandaPawPaw

HJL scared me when I was younger. I think the first time I saw him was in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. He looked like the type of person who could kill you just by looking at you. :o

I also found Roy Horan's evil priest really sinister too.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 5

One Armed Boxer

A recent interview that Casanova Wong conducted with Hwang Jang Lee (& Lee Dong-sup, the director of the world Taekwondo Headquarters) -

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer

Hwang Jang Lee released his autobiography this week, titled 'My Life, My Martial Arts', which currently is only available in Korean (and not sure what the chances are of it getting an English translation). Here's some shots from the launch event - 

HJL2.thumb.jpg.8aff3e39bfaac8feda9170794275672c.jpg

HJL3.thumb.jpg.fea53c06fdeed1ca6994019313a41c29.jpg

HJL4.jpg.9282cadd75453b23db582b30e599b564.jpg

HJL1.thumb.jpg.53bf65808804d1aba4301a6d0bc3d2a6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw

I was like HJL was a scary mutha back in the day, I bet he looks like an old fart now but nope, still not gonna fuck with him!

chewing-gum-walking-away.gif

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

Snuff-Bottle Connection - Behind the Scenes.

"Hwang Jang-Lee and Roy Horan on location in Taiwan for the shooting of "Snuff-Bottle Connection". The film's action director Yuen Woo-Ping would reunite with the two of them for his next project Snake in the Eagle's Shadow."

bts+snuff+bottle+1.jpg

The Invincible Armour - Behind the Scenes.

bts+invincible+armour01.jpg

Drunken Master - Behind the Scenes.

"Hwang Jang-Lee and Roy Horan rehearsing one of Hwang's trademark jumping kicks for the film's opening sequence."

bts+drunken+master+001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm

Toudoukan Wrestling Shop/Jiro/Toby Russell Presents

Look Who will be arriving to Tokyo-San this summer!  
The Silver Fox & Thunderfoot - the One man army  himself  The Meanest & Baddest Man on reel-
Hwang Jang-Lee 

Japanese railway Sugamo 巣鴨Station Toudoukan 闘道館 Arena

July 20th -from 14:00 hrs
July 21st - from 12:00 hrs

Messenger_creation_ad274188-6fbc-4baa-95e8-3fc8fdcf6e14.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

What is his current degree of black belt in Taekwondo

Also, from his Korean Wikipedia page:

- When Hwang Jang Lee first went to Hong Kong, he held a very reckless press conference.

“Anyone, young or old, male or female, please come fight me."

Because of this press conference, there was a line of people waiting to fight Hwang Jang Lee in Hong Kong, and Hwang Jang Lee's manager told him to just stay in Korea until things quieted down and come back when things calmed down, but Hwang Jang Lee ignored this and surprisingly, he fought and beat all of the challengers. Because of this, Hwang Jang Lee became extremely famous in Hong Kong, and thanks to this, he met Jackie Chan and became a regular villain in his movies.

- In Hong Kong, Hwang Jang Lee was the number one choice for casting as a villain actor, and every day, a delivery truck would come to Hwang Jang Lee's house. In the delivery truck, people who were film producers showed Hwang Jang Lee cash and tried to cast him. There were so many of these people that the film producers even fought among themselves to get Hwang Jang Lee.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1