Hwang Jang Lee

Guest daTOAD

It's TIGER OVER WALL!

It was alright, wasn't really Ko's best, but it wasn't that bad.

That whole thing with the missing "boxer dog" was kind of funny, but I don't think it was mean to be!

Righteous Master
I believe HJL would eat Chan Wai Man for breakfast. Chan may be a badass in that he was a triad/thug and probably is a good streetfighter(I know he did compete in kickboxing as well) but to me he's not near Hwang's level of skill. As for on screen fights, HJL definately looks better imo.

It is hard to say who would win in a real match. However I would have to put my bet on HJL.

Ring Of Death (he is only in the last 15 min of the film)

Is this the one where end takes on boxing ring quite a lot above ground level?I saw movie like that as teenager but did not know names of actors and been scratching my head to think what the hell title was.

But as remember virtually nothing was mission impossible.

Ring of fire rings some bells tho...

• Like 1

Hello!

I am not sure if this tread works best here or in classic movies ( or in marketplace) ?

( Hope it gets moved if needed ! Thank You!)

I am a BIG FAN of Hwang Jang Lee, he is one of the 3 TOP KICKERS I think !!!

Hope to collect all his movies ( 68 I think + 1 he directed but did not act in ??) , but don't know if it is possible to get all. :sad:

My questions are :

1. WITCH HWANG JANG LEE MOVIES DO YOU HAVE ?

2. WITCH HWANG JANG LEE MOVIE(S) IS YOUR FAVORITTE?

3. DO YOU THINK HE DIRECTED " Huang Fei Hong xi lie:Zhi yi dai shi 1992 " based on the fighting style of the movie ? But of course Chin Kar Lok & great Lam Ching Ying would have influenced the choreography a lot too. I am uncertain, but I lean towards thinking it was Hwang who was the actual action director. What do you think ??

(4. List any of his movies you would like to sell if any please ??)

Xiexie,Athena

Oh:ooh: my guys !

I guess I should have asked "does anyone remember Hwang Jang Lee??" I think he is great !! Known as " THE KOREAN SUPER KICKER" , but born in Japan & the "sifu" ( trainer ,master ) of awesome John Lui !!

Anybody here like him :cry::kiss:?? He has not done much in movies since 94 but still.

Maybe I need to change my name to " MISS KUNG FU NERD (!):nerd:"

( Just kidding ... No need to send out the Flying Guillotines in my direction:wink: !!)

So Take Care, Xiexie, Athena:squigglemouth:

Drunken Monk

I think everyone remembers Hwang Jang Lee, considering he's one of the quintessential martial arts villains of all time.

As for his best films? There is always usually a mixed reaction.

I enjoy...

1.) Drunken Master

2.) Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

3.) Hitman in the Hand of Buddha

4.) Invincible Armour

But then again, I haven't seen nearly as much as his work as many people, despite being a huge fan of him.

• Like 1

I think everyone remembers Hwang Jang Lee, considering he's one of the quintessential martial arts villains of all time.

As for his best films? There is always usually a mixed reaction.

I enjoy...

1.) Drunken Master

2.) Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

3.) Hitman in the Hand of Buddha

4.) Invincible Armour

But then again, I haven't seen nearly as much as his work as many people, despite being a huge fan of him.

you have to put Kid from Kwangtung in there!

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid
you have to put Kid from Kwangtung in there!

That film is my favorite fight performance of his, he is one bad ass villain who's kicks are lethal, his victims start spitting blood literally when kicked by him. Too bad his other Shaw film Ghosts Galore was a total letdown. Drunken Master would be my second favorite.

• Like 1

Hwang Jang-Lee, or Hwang Jeong-Ri, is the Lord of the Bootmasters. He has such precision in his strikes and I love when he would wrap his leg around his adversary's head and pop up to kick with the other foot not to mention his patented triple jump side kick.

Here's Hwang in the 2009 Korean television series Return of Iljimae. He plays a Japanese legend, Musashi Miyamoto. He looks good for 65 years old! Thank seoulpower1965 for this clip!

TrSmEQxLJOA.

I have a lot of HJL's films but some of my favorites would be:

HITMAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA

TIGER OVER WALL

KID FROM KWANGTUNG

THE SECRET RIVALS

SNUFF BOTTLE CONNECTION

• Like 1

Hwang Jang-Lee, or Hwang Jeong-Ri, is the Lord of the Bootmasters. He has such precision in his strikes and I love when he would wrap his leg around his adversary's head and pop up to kick with the other foot not to mention his patented triple jump side kick.

Here's Hwang in the 2009 Korean television series Return of Iljimae. He plays a Japanese legend, Musashi Miyamoto. He looks good for 65 years old! Thank seoulpower1965 for this clip!

TrSmEQxLJOA.

I have a lot of HJL's films but some of my favorites would be:

HITMAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA

TIGER OVER WALL

KID FROM KWANGTUNG

THE SECRET RIVALS

SNUFF BOTTLE CONNECTION

AlbertV & seoulpower1965 !

Thank you for that link/clip !!!!!!!!:kiss:

I confess to much ignorance concerning Korean Tv series :cry:, It says 2009, Is it out on DVD ( or even VCD )? Were to order ? ( Format , region etc. doesn't matter, Eng. sub not necessary )

PS. SNUFF BOTTLE CONNECTION is very COOL !!

Again Xiexie, Athena:kiss:

• Like 1

Is this the one where end takes on boxing ring quite a lot above ground level?I saw movie like that as teenager but did not know names of actors and been scratching my head to think what the hell title was.

But as remember virtually nothing was mission impossible.

Ring of fire rings some bells tho...

Yes, that's the ending of RING OF DEATH with HJL and Cliff Lok.

• Like 1

• Administrator
For any Hwang Jang-lee fan, I organized the premiere of his rare self-directed Korean movie 'Canton Viper' here in Australia last week, and posted a review of it here, please feel free to check it out -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/action-month-review-15th-nov-canton.html

Right on! Very cool One Armed Boxer. Wish I could see this in the theater. :nerd: Kudos to you for hooking up Australia's kung fu fans. :bigsmile:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
Wow! Another film I'm gonna have to hunt down someday!

Hey ShaOW!linDude....yeah you can follow Kung Fu Bob's link, or just go to the site directly here - http://www.houndslowteam.tk/

While I doubt anyone will argue that the Houndslow guys got off to a decidedly rocky start, they've really pulled their act together and are now releasing as good a quality as you could wish for versions of movies long considered lost or previously unsubbed, well worth checking out especially for someone like yourself.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

I really have to get this houndslow version with improved pic quality and subs, Hwang does alot of chain kicking in this flick and takes out an entire army lol. I really want to see that recent interview with him since he's got older, should be interesting....

• Like 1

When Xenon and ground zero released Ring of Death, they re-titled it BASTARD KUNG FU MASTER. I may have that VHS floating somewhere.

Once again, Kwon Young-Moon was wasted and only fought HJL for what 5 seconds in the film? Ugh!!!

I showed one of my kids some HJL clips and she absolutely loves the way he kicks. I showed her the finale of HARD BASTARD, where HJL took on Chang Il-Shik (aka Bruce Cheung Mong) and when he screams and pulls his triple kick, she was in awe...she loved it. She also loved the punishment he dealt to Tino Wong and crew in HITMAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA.

• Like 1

In two of my favorite movies that I would recommend to anyone, Dance of the Drunken Mantis, and Ninja in the Dragons Den, both make my top 10 easily. Definitely my favorite kicker(is there really any other choice?)

What movies does he play the/a protagonist? I'd be interested to see them if they're good.

Ironically, as great of a villain as he was, I feel Lo Lieh was greater - due to the acting aspect. I never really felt like Hwangs acting was what made him a great baddie but it was his natural look, and his martial arts. (I only bring this up because through what I have seen on this board, it seems they're the consensus top 2 villains of the old school)

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
What movies does he play the/a protagonist? I'd be interested to see them if they're good.

To the best of my knowledge, the only 2 movies were he's actually the protagonist are his self-directed movies 'Hitman in the Hand of Buddah' (Hong Kong - but it does have Jang-lee's own Korean edit as well) & 'Canton Viper' (Korea).

'Hitman in the Hand of Buddah' is unique to see him playing a clean shaven good guy, complete with Canto-comedy hi-jinks along the way, but as much as the kicking displays in that movie are far superior to that of 'Canton Viper', no doubt due to the choreography of Corey Yuen Kwai, I actually prefer 'Canton Viper' for it's engaging story and Jang-lee's character of a ruthless hitman for hire who finds himself on a path of redemption.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

He also played a good guy in Live Hard as the leader of a Police/Military squad along with Elaine Liu. The fights were pretty hard hitting. His kicks looked the most powerful to me in the Shaw flic Kid From Kwangtung, he was totally badass in that movie.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, the only 2 movies were he's actually the protagonist are his self-directed movies 'Hitman in the Hand of Buddah' (Hong Kong - but it does have Jang-lee's own Korean edit as well) & 'Canton Viper' (Korea).

'Hitman in the Hand of Buddah' is unique to see him playing a clean shaven good guy, complete with Canto-comedy hi-jinks along the way, but as much as the kicking displays in that movie are far superior to that of 'Canton Viper', no doubt due to the choreography of Corey Yuen Kwai, I actually prefer 'Canton Viper' for it's engaging story and Jang-lee's character of a ruthless hitman for hire who finds himself on a path of redemption.

He also played a clean shaven good guy in the Korean film HARD BASTARD (aka THE DELIVERY). He takes on Chang Il-Shik (aka Bruce Cheung Mong) in the finale.

He also played a good guy in INNOCENT INTERLOPER (1986), even though his role was more of an extended cameo as a rascal who decides to help the good guys out.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just watched Innocent Interloper last night, really enjoyable 80's action comedy. HJL as a good guy just seems a bit weird, and for that matter so does hardass Chan Wai Man as a buffoonish cat burglar, but hey, fun film, good action.

• Like 1