Hwang Jang Lee

Guest daTOAD

Morgoth Bauglir

You are right, I just popped in The Loot, and it seems Kwan Yong Moon is only a little bit better with his left. Like Hwang, I would consider him pretty much equal with both legs, but Kwan goes with his left in most of the films I have seen him in.

• Like 1

I saw "rebellious reign" quite late even as read 2 page article about it 10+ years ago in Eastern Heroes magazine...kwon is really man in that one and end brawl is among 3 best everseen,scene where he kills female fighter almost made chicken flesh...I wish they would have in that one feeded less brave heroism though,multiple fatal wounds dun make ning drop dead.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I heard on a Bobby Samuels commentary (Tai Seng's Inheritor of Kung Fu) that Kwan used to have cars run over him to show his strength. I don't know if that is true, but obviously he was a tough guy.

• Like 1

I heard on a Bobby Samuels commentary (Tai Seng's Inheritor of Kung Fu) that Kwan used to have cars run over him to show his strength. I don't know if that is true, but obviously he was a tough guy.

I don't think that'd work! :confused:

Kwan Young Moon was left legged, i'd say Casanova Wong was more two legged than Hwang Jang Lee. My faviroute of his films would be Hellz Windstaff or Ninja in the Dragon's Den, although Hiroyuki Sanada's kicks looked nearlly as good, he looked more flexible than Hwang did (i know Hwang didn't really believe in streching). I personally think Casanova and Kwan Young Moon were better than Hwang Jang Lee at kicking, but Hwang had more range like shapes and weapon skills. I still think Hwang is a little overated and so is John Liu IMO.

• Like 1

I still think Hwang is a little overated and so is John Liu IMO.

I agree to 2nd part...but mister leg of fury is not overrated!he made snake in the eagles shadow,snuff bottle connection,invincible armour classics...villain with less skills those movies would not have been that great...IMO of course

edit:in general villains are underrated

• Like 1

Thanks portly! Of course i don't dislike him but don't think he's gods gift to martial arts film either. The thing that annoys me is in reviews of films or whatever it's like just because Hwang's in it it is an instant classic of all time! Sorry i'll stop my HJL moaning.:)

• Like 1

Thanks portly! Of course i don't dislike him but don't think he's gods gift to martial arts film either. The thing that annoys me is in reviews of films or whatever it's like just because Hwang's in it it is an instant classic of all time! Sorry i'll stop my HJL moaning.:)

I agree to that... for example I do not think liu chia liang is maestro but we have different tastes....but I honestly feel so so movie is improved when hwang is featured.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Not every movie Hwang is in is a classic, I don't know where you heard that crap Will, but Hwang always performs at an extremely high level. He is far from overrated.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

Yeah Hwang can usually make an otherwise crappy movie worth seeing just for his performance alone, Lackey and the Lady Tiger and Duel of Ultimate Weapons immediately comes to mind.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I asked my mom to get me Duel of Ultimate weapons for Christmas because you recommended it to me awhile ago. you said he has a whole bunch of fights. I can't wait to see it. Or actually, before I jinx it, I hope my mom gets it for me. I have been working almost 80 hours a week the past 3 weeks so I can get my family presents, so I better get my stuff too!:P

• Like 1

Each kicker has his own range in terms of technique and accuracy. Let's not forgot Mr. Hwang actually did kill someone, a Vietnamese knife fighter who thought the knife was faster than the leg and Hwang kicked him right in the temple. This was during Hwang's days in the Korean Army. So, Hwang Jang-Lee is definitely the #1 kicker in films IMO.

Flexibility wise, John Liu is a little overrated, but I love the move in Fighting Ace where he kills a man with an axe kick to his throat, but he would make films like Ninja in the Claws of the CIA??? LOL. Kwon Young-Moon definitely has it. Just today I watched Return to the 36th Chamber and I love when he kicks Wei Pai and points to his leg "This my friend, is your justice". I also liked his choreography on the B-movie "Ninja Turf" with Jun Chong. Lots of kicking in it.

Agility wise, I'd say both Tan Tao-Liang and Casanova Wong have it. I watched "Duel with the Devils" and counted and timed Tan kicking the final villain. 15 kicks off his left leg in 5 seconds!!! Casanova Wong has an amazing triple kick and his spin kicks earned him the nickname "Human Tornado".

• Like 1

Let's not forgot Mr. Hwang actually did kill someone, a Vietnamese knife fighter who thought the knife was faster than the leg and Hwang kicked him right in the temple.

Ouch! That guy must've looked like the Elephant man for his autopsy! :eek:

I love Art of High Impact Kicking. I would watch it to improve my kicks. Mind you, I'm more of a kickboxing stylist, but I like to see it to work on the various types of kicks.

My other HJL favorites are:

Secret Rivals 1 & 2

Invincible Armour

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Ring of Death

Drunken Master

Dance of the Drunk Mantis

Duel of the Ultimate Weapons

Hell's Wind Staff

Street Soldiers

• Like 1

Righteous Master

HJL is probably my favorite bad guy in kung fu films. Heck, he is one of my favorite actors in kung fu films. I have liked this guy since I saw him the first time when I watched DM.

• Like 1

will91XingYu

Chan Wai Man is way more badass than Hwang Jang Lee! While i don't paticularly like him loads i still think that the end of Hitman in the Had of Budha is an amazing fight and really showcases all his skills.Also Kwan Young Moon is someone i think is underated, he had some vicous kicks on him, especially in the end of Rebelliouse Reign, not when he fight Alan Hsu and Jimmy Lee, the bit before when he fight Chu Ko, man just the raw anger and hate in his kicks made me kinda scared of him myself!

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

I believe HJL would eat Chan Wai Man for breakfast. Chan may be a badass in that he was a triad/thug and probably is a good streetfighter(I know he did compete in kickboxing as well) but to me he's not near Hwang's level of skill. As for on screen fights, HJL definately looks better imo.

• Like 1

will91XingYu

I agree, Chan Wai Man didn't have much in the way of kicks, but he did have intensity, but in a real fight i think Chan Wai Man would win as hed probably use a knife or something!

• Like 1

I just saw a HJL movie on Kung Fu in HD. And they mistitle their movies very often. They put it as Snake in the Eagle's Shadow 2, and I know that was wrong, Shadow 2 starred Wang Tao. So I thought I'd describe it.

It stars Philip Ko, with Hwang Jang Lee being the baddy and, In the final fight Ko cuts Lee's shoulder with a broad swords and it ends pretty bloodily. :cool: Can anyone properly ID it?

• Like 1