Hwang Jang Lee

Guest daTOAD

Guest daTOAD

just got a trailer vid that had the preview for Budha Assassinator on it. HJL is my favorite villian ever-in any movie!this dude is the s***...greatest with the kicks and terrific with his hands.plus he had that hard ass look. his best work...hard to say i love them all.Kid From Kwangtung though...wow[i couldnt belive the Shaws got him for 3 films and misused him terribly in two of those movies].Also Snuff Bottle Connection. anyone seen any of his rare flicks? whats your favorite HJL?

Brigadier Chow

If you want to see his whole arsenal, check out his instructional DVD The Art of High Impact Kicking. It's funny I never heard this one mentioned on this board. Here are some other faves:

Fearless Duo

Two Fists Against The Law

Hitman In The Hand of Buddah

Ring Of Death (he is only in the last 15 min of the film)

Shaolin The Blood Mission

Eagle's Killer (not a great movie but Hwang is good)

Martial Monks of Shaolin

Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger (terrible movie on a whole, but the opening scene w/Hwang is worth it)

• Like 2

Guest teako170

Hwang Jang Lee Top Five (in no order)

- Secret Rivals

- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

- Invincible Armor

- Hell's Wind Staff

- Snuff Bottle Connection

Guest daTOAD

If you want to see his whole arsenal, check out his instructional DVD The Art of High Impact Kicking. It's funny I never heard this one mentioned on this board. Here are some other faves:

is this for real?!? I MUST HAVE IT! never seen these:Martial Monks, Secret Ninja, Eagles Killer[have an aka?], or Shaolin the Blood Mission.

seen all on your top 5, but suprised you didnt pick films were he used exotic styles[sleeping Style-excellent] . his boot is the best, but when he added a crazy technique to go with it-OH GAWD!

Guest the dirty tiger

High Impact Kicking is a great instructional. No messing around with long demos, fast point by point tips, best TKD instructional I ever saw. My kicking is sure better for having followed it's tips :D

Brigadier Chow

Eagle's Killer was released on Tai Seng/Ocean Shores DVD. It also stars John Chang Wu Lang. Art of High Impact Kicking was put out by world video. These should still be in some rotation with on line retailers.

• Like 1

Guest drunkenmantis13

I always wanted to buy The Art of High Impact Kicking but never got to and forgot about it. That's that it's back on my mind i'll hunt down a copy ASAP!

Guest morgoth

I think I love every movie Hwang is in. At least 9/10 of them. My favorite performance is Buddha Assassinator. He seriously should have won a best acting award or something for that. Nobody could pull off that sleeping style better than him.

Guest Chinatown Kid

One of the best kickers if not the best to ever grace the screen. My only complaint is that he seems to be underused in alot of films and always leaves you wanting to see more.....

Guest JowTiger

Don't look to get any entertainment value from that instructional dvd because it only has step by step instructions or proper technique. I'd say get it just to add it to your WJL collection.

Brigadier Chow

Yes it is instructional, but it does show some choreographed applications of his kicks, well done by Hsu Hsia and a stunt team of familiar faces.

• Like 2

Guest WalkOn

The Art of High Impact Kicking shows how serious of a kicker WJL really is, not just a showman with fancy 720 degree demonstration kicks, but a true warrior of the art of kicking (and fighting) and clearly shows it in this great 1982 gem. A must have for WJL and practionitioners of effective kicking applications. The choreographed scenes and aerial kicks are a very nice bonus as well...

Guest Chinatown Kid

Being a Taekwondo stylist I got alot out of HJL's The Art of High Impact Kicking, anyone who studies a kicking art would benifit from watching it. It breaks down each individual kick and the mechanics behind it. Great instruction!

Guest morgoth

I am too lazy to practice kung, so I just stretch and practice my kicks everyday and try to look cool. I would love to see this video.

Guest Yi Long

I bought his High Impact Kicking DVD a few years ago, and watched it once or twice, but TBH if you already are a good kicker with some experience in martial arts, especially TKD, this wont teach you anything new. I thought it was all very very basic. I really hoped there would be more info/footage about cool/fun stretching methods and daily routines etc, and just fun stuff... but nah... it's all just very basic.

For me personally, it wasnt very usefull (but I'm was already a very good kicker before I got the DVD... ), but maybe when you're new and just need something to get you started and maybe motivated, it can be helpfull.

I'd love to see Dorian Tan make a cool instructional video though. I love his style of kicking.

Guest kungfusamurai

I was scanning through a copy of the film Young Hero on DVD. It's a movie that has Tino Wong, but it also features a long fight between Hwang Jang Lee and Kwan Young Moon. Until I saw this, I thought the only match up they had was in Blood Child.

During a different fight scene, I was shocked to see Hwang Jang Lee do a move that he's NEVER done in a martial arts film: A single front flip! He did it while fighting some woman in the middle of the film. He uses his hands on the ground, but it's pretty much a standing front flip. And I had to reverse the DVD and watching it again just to make sure it wasn't a body double. But it really is him. He even does a number of moves after that flip before the film cuts to another angle.

The DVD was put out by Passion Productions, in their latest batch of shitty quality DVDs. Why can't they master these things using a source that won't pixelate. I think it's because they're using a $40 VCR, rather than using an SVHS player to convert the cassettes they seem to be using into DVD.

KFS

Guest morgoth

I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch of Hwang vs Kwan Young Moon. I don't think I have ever seen Hwang do a flip so that is rare. This is the closest I have seen-

He has help, but he does that backflip really fast and not awkward whatsoever.

Guest kungfusamurai

While I can't say I could to better, I think with multiple takes or rehearsing, that back flip was probably 10 times easier to do than a solo, front flip. If those guys weren't supporting his back through the move, then he'd get more credit in my books for doing a difficult manoeuver. That's why I nearly shat my pants when I saw him doing the front flip.

I hope someone else will check out their copy of Young Hero and agree that it's Hwang doing it himself.

KFS

Guest morgoth

Yeah I agree a front hand flip would be a lot tougher. I just posted that since that is the closest I have seen him do a flip. I wish I had a copy of Young Hero!

HWANG JANG LEE IS SERIOUSLY HIGH LEVEL!!!!!!! Why do you think he's my favourite actor? :D He's beyond Bruce Lee IMO! Most times Hwang will use his trademark moves in a progression that finishes with the triple aerial kick, but sometimes he uses moves that you will only witness once; a good example is in Fearless Duo or Canton Viper. Even Hwang said he couldn't perform certain moves because they were too fast for the camera to pick up.

Guest kungfusamurai

It looks like Young Hero has been released on DVD previously by Crash. That version might have less pixelation than the Passion Productions version. I'm going to dig up the original VHS on the internet and see if that looks better.

By the way, I just started watching the film, and it appears to be a similar story to that of Fok Yuen Gap. Young son who's father doesn't want to teach him kung fu (he knew a little in this film); Japanese fighter(s) challenging the father's school; son has a teacher teaching him reading, but then secretly teaches him kung fu. The family name is Lok instead of Fok in this one.

Correction: The family is referred to as the Fok family, and the lead character is Fok Yuen Gap.

I really like the actor who's playing him. I don't recall seeing him anywhere. He's got great acrobatic skills and martial arts abilities too! I'm almost finished watching the film. I think he's the actor credit as Yuen Miu on HKFlix. He looks kind of like Yuen Yat Chor. Is he part of the Yuen clan (i.e. blood brother)?

Edit: Never mind, I found out he was in fact one of the Seven Fortunes:

Seven Fortunes

I've noticed that Kwan Young Moon has a lot of fights in this flick, probably more than any of the other movies he's been in. Usually he does cameos and one or two short fight sequences, but in this flick, he does quite a lot. There was already one fight where he fights Hwang Jang Lee (at the beginning), and it was a good one. Can't wait to sit through the last one!

KFS