Best IP Man DVD

DeathFuMaster

DeathFuMaster

After all the hype and praise this movie gets, Im going to take the plunge and buy one of few subtitled dvds I have ever owned. So I was wondering which version out of the many is the best in terms of quality(Picture, subtitles, aspect ratio)? (I need NTSC, Region 0 or 1, and ENG subtitles).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HK 2 disc edition is pretty cool. There's supposed to be a 3 disc Chinese edition coming soon though.

I'm wondering if the Blu-Ray version is going to be worth getting. Seems like a fair amount of special features.

I believe the Blu Ray version has the same features as the 2 disc. I wish it was all region.

The Amazing Psycho Per

We're talking about a 2008 movie here... You can't go wrong with the HK release.

I'd suggest getting it from dddhouse, much less expensive about 15$ plus shipping for the 2 disc edition.

Guest WuxiaFan
I think Im getting the HK(Universe release I think?)version.

Any other comments from people who have this one?

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.549937/qx/details.htm

DFM,

The link above is for the single disk version. Here's the 2-disc version:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.549938/qx/details.htm

I highly recommend HKFlix, but also recommend dddhouse. They have the exact same 2-disc set for cheaper, even with shipping. Here's the link:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=9335

I have had very good luck with dddhouse. However, HKFlix is having a free shipping promotion on any size order until 3/27/09. Their normal free shipping price threshold is $49, so it's a good deal if you just want 1-2 discs.

You'll want the 2 disc version, and there's plenty of sites that have it:

Yesasia.com, DDDHouse.com, and good old eBay, to name a few!

I'm sure KFC'ers can come up with more!

i'm sure the DVD release is good. that said, however, i purchased the Blu-ray version where the audio and video are superb! the awesome DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track really delivers and the colour palette at Ip Man's residence, for example, is extraordinary.

HK 2 disc edition: here's Donnie holding a giant copy of the movie disc, just to hammer the point in:

2008_11_09_01_Ip_Man_bd.jpg

(Disclaimer: that might actually be an enlarged copy of the soundtrack CD, but they look pretty much identical... ah, whatever you get my point - HK 2 disc).

i'm sure the DVD release is good. that said, however, i purchased the Blu-ray version where the audio and video are superb! the awesome DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track really delivers and the colour palette at Ip Man's residence, for example, is extraordinary.

Keep in mind the Blu-ray is apparently region coded. The TC might be in the wrong region, and also might not have a blu-ray player.

Hmm....I got the single disc from dddhouse, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. As far as the movie itself, I absolutely LOVED IT, but the picture quality on the disc was a tad grainy---particularly during some of the darker scenes. Not really terrible, but not top-notch, either. Anybody else notice this? I had kind of assumed that the transfer would be the same for both the single and double editions, but now I'm wondering....

Keep in mind the Blu-ray is apparently region coded. The TC might be in the wrong region ...

region 0 or 1 DVD was requested so if a Blu-ray player is available (a possibility for some people reading this thread) the region A Blu-ray disc of Ip Man will do fine.

I had kind of assumed that the transfer would be the same for both the single and double editions, but now I'm wondering....

the DVD transfers should be the same. provided the primary disc of the double-disc edition has the same amount of material as the single-disc edition, they should have been pressed from the same master.

i gave the two-disc DVD edition to my parents and kept the Blu-ray edition for myself. i haven't watched the DVD version of the film, with properly calibrated equipment, to confirm what you're seeing.

region 0 or 1 DVD was requested so if a Blu-ray player is available (a possibility for some people reading this thread) the region A Blu-ray disc of Ip Man will do fine.

Ah, you're right.

the DVD transfers should be the same. provided the primary disc of the double-disc edition has the same amount of material as the single-disc edition, they should have been pressed from the same master.

i gave the two-disc DVD edition to my parents and kept the Blu-ray edition for myself. i haven't watched the DVD version of the film, with properly calibrated equipment, to confirm what you're seeing.

The first disc of the double disc and the single disc have the same content.

The first disc of the double disc and the single disc have the same content.

in which case the quality of both DVD editions (of the film) should be the same.

in which case the quality of both DVD editions (of the film) should be the same.

i recently had a chance to view the DVD version, as published by Universe, on my Oppo DV-980H. i can confirm the visual and audio quality is definitely worse than the Blu-ray edition. artifacts and obvious 'red push' marred a few of the scenes.

Archived