Coweb (aka Ninja Masters) (2008)

BLfan

Guest WuxiaFan

Finally watched COWEB over the weekend and with all the bad reviews this movie has gotten, I went into it not expecting much at all. Well, I was pleasently surprised and thought the movie was actually pretty good. If you're going into this movie expecting something great, you're going to be disappointed. It's NOT as good as CHOCOLATE and Jiang Lu-xia is NOT as good as Jeeja Yanin.

The story kept my attention throughout the movie and I thought the fight scenes were very good! Again, not superb, but I thought Jiang Lu-xia held her own and kicked some ass! The kitchen fight scene was excellent and NOT too long. Why would anyone complain about a Hong Kong kung fu movie with fight scenes that are too long? WTF is that? She did all her own stunts, she took A LOT of hits throughout the movie, and Jiang Lu-xia has a great pissed-off, angry glare! I have not seen that since Michelle Yeoh's pissed-off, angry glare at Zhang Ziyi in CROUCHING TIGER! The other fight scene that I thought was very well done was the factory/warehouse scene where Jiang Lu-xia thought she had found the kidnapped wife. Jiang Lu-xia took a lot of hits in that scene, but then adapted to her opponet and beat him. The worst fight scene was, YES, the hip-hop dancing fight scene. It was just idiotic and didn't fit with the movie and should have ended up on the cutting room floor.

The finale against Kane Kosugi was OK, and I enjoyed watching Kane. I thought the ending was a bit predictable, and for me that contributed to it being anti-climatic. Overall, I enjoyed watching this movie and I hope to see more of Jiang Lu-xia. With a better script, better direction, and better fight choregraphy, Jiang Lu-xia will do really well, IMO.

:nerd:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is on my list to watch hopefully before the end of the week!!

Thanks for the review WuxiaFan.

marketing this film was virtually non-existant. if ever there were an award to be issued for messing up good, then this film does

deserve the gold medal for screwing up it's own marketing potential the most.. a lot of people waited for the acrobatics, crazy,

flips, and intricate fight sequences and athleticism, it ended up as a sideshow at the special olympics. to my knowledge there

had not ever been an official release with english subtitles in the us. there was a release in hong kong from some sham lender

company from what seemed like it must have come from the barrio, a backstreet company in hong kong. the print so so blurry

that you not only had to rub your eyes because you thought it was just you, but then once again once you found it was'nt and

could not believe it. there is a copy being sold that is listed an having an ENGLISH DUB (english audio). I am thinking of buying

it (which is a DVD-9) and subtitling it so i can finally see it. you can find the DVD-9 which says it has an English dub here

i just ordered Coweb (DVD-9) English dub with a few other films, ill give an update once ive received the items as to whether

the claim of english dub is true. hope the print is at least better than the one i saw. it's on a DVD-9 disc so i expect that to be.

if it is a good print then i will subtitle it and anyone who wants it let me know and you can mail me a DVD-9 disc and i will send

a copy out to you. due to poor marketing of the film i doubt it will see a proper us release.

- Daigoro

i just ordered Coweb (DVD-9) English dub with a few other films, ill give an update once ive received the items as to whether

the claim of english dub is true. hope the print is at least better than the one i saw. it's on a DVD-9 disc so i expect that to be.

if it is a good print then i will subtitle it and anyone who wants it let me know and you can mail me a DVD-9 disc and i will send

a copy out to you. due to poor marketing of the film i doubt it will see a proper us release.

- Daigoro

lol

that version doesnt carry any english dub!

it's the mainland D9 version (official,no boot) and i have it. It has mandarin only and chinese subs only.

the quality is really good dont worry but dont expect any english track in there ^_^

is ths company reputable, reliable and have good custumer service?

i dont buy anymore from sensasian.. the last two products (malay dvds) i bought from them were just boot

i dont trust em anymore.. maybe other users had more luck than me

i dont buy anymore from sensasian.. the last two products (malay dvds) i bought from them were just boot

i dont trust em anymore.. maybe other users had more luck than me

cheers for that fiol I definetely won't use them now.

TheGrimReaper

I don't know how to describe my view over this movie - it was sloppily put together with mixed and confusing fight scenes, none of them delivering any excitement at all to me. Xin Xin Xiong would have done better, considering his strong martial arts backgorund in diferent movies. Sad but true, even Kosugi's son doesn't save the fim from being mediocre... Hopefully next movie starring Jiang Lu-Xia "Bad Blood" was far more better - more structured and well paced :) I'll get this one too :)

ReverendYah

Just watched this and rather enjoyed it but I'm curious.

Was there something wrong with my copy?

It clocked in at 1hr 27 mins which made it feel like it was cut to hell.

ReverendYah
IF it had english subs then it maybe.

Yeah it did have English subs but strangely I checked on IMDB (which I probably should've done in the first place) and it's listed as a running time of 87 minutes,guess it was just dodgy editing that made it feel cut up.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Though COWEB film is flawed, it does have some good action. And any film with a lady busting heads with nunchaku (no matter how briefly) is a must-have for me. I'd love to upgrade to a legit copy. Any word on this receiving a R1 or R2 release?

For all I know, it may have snuck out without any fanfare, like another film starring Lu-Xia Jiang- BAD BLOOD which came out in the US as KING OF TRIADS. Stupid title, but the release has a good picture and great English subs so I got it anyway. I found out about this release totally by accident. If Albert hadn't mentioned that BESOURO was released as a R1 under the new title THE ASSAILANT I would have missed that too.

Drunken Monk

Under the terrible title, "Ninja Masters"....

PT6fV5d.jpg

I've never seen the film but I'm pretty sure the cover has nothing to do with the actual content of the movie.

No release date yet, sadly. But it's finally coming, at least.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Oh for fucks sake! No way is that the actual cover art.... it can't be.... there's gotta be some mistake. Even for lame ass US distibutors this is off the charts retarded.

Archived