Coweb (aka Ninja Masters) (2008)

BLfan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! THAT was supposed to be a better fight?!

Looks way too slow, too staged and unnatural and extremely boring...Roundkick, dodge, roundkick, dodge...Some boring acrobatics and the music almost put me to sleep.

And now I read that in other fights they used wires, too?!

Looks like another major disapointment...

I guess, I can't judge by one scene only, but to me, Chocolate looked MUCH, MUCH better

TibetanWhiteCrane

I honestly don't think that Coweb will be all that Hung Yan Yan cracked it up to be! But i'll reserve my pessimism for now!

Tigerstyles

i agree only donnie yen has come up with the goods hk side! all that wu (poo)shu fancy rehearsed 1000 times crap from HK bores me now!

yeah, that was laughably bad. no wonder I still haven't heard that this was actually released in HK, likely someone realized it was too shitty to release in theaters, and shelved it for a dvd release in a few months

silver hermit

the editing looked bad. quicker cuts would have framed the action better. that along with better camera angles ;)

Wuxiafan: Well in Tom Yum Goong it's mainly in the fight against the Capoeira guy. There's 2 scenes when they exchange moves and it's filmed nicely in a wide shot. It clearly looks like they are waiting for each other to finish first. Blacksheep Affair has similar scenes with 2 fighters exchanging moves and it looks much better even though the fights overall in the film weren't very good.

D1 Ma: The breakdancing fight I said was fun but I never said that was filmed better. I just said it was fun and had some nice moments. The kitchen fight is the best fight for me and that's filmed differently to the other fights as I said before. The end fight with Kane Kosugi is flawed but I preferred that to the ending in Chocolate on the top of the building because I thought that was way over the top. Again it's down to preference and I like and dislike scenes in both movies. I have low expectations for new martial arts movies so maybe that's why I enjoyed it!

I personally think that thai action needs to be performed slightly quicker because even my younger brother who doesn't watch these movies as much as me notices what I see! I met a hardcore kungfu fan at a filmfair once and he noticed the same thing in Chocolate with the action looking slower than normal.

Looks as if Chocolate is the preferred choice right now but watch Coweb completely first. It can't be judged on the one fight with the 2 breakdancers.

I actually quite liked that, it fell apart a bit towards the end with the slow music and the way she finished the fight but the start was good stuff in my opinion.

So has this film skipped a cinema release in Hong Kong or did it just receive a very limited run? It seems strange that sites like lovehkfilm.com haven't reviewed it yet.

the fights in this movie were not very good and plus they went on forever which made it even harder to enjoy, looks like old clubfoot didnt learn to much of pops and samo

I recently read the July issue of Impact and British stuntman Andy Taylor did a sort of diary on the film as he worked as a thug as well as did a little doubling for Kane Kosugi. Very little doubling, I think mostly a fall or two, but he did commend how Kane injured his foot after doing an aerial kick and Kane didn't let up...he kept going. Andy says seeing Kane continue gave him a lot of respect for him as well as 'Siu-Ha' (Luxia Jiang's nickname)

I found it in Vancouver chinatown, looked legit enough (but who knows...). Unfortunately only with Chinese subtitles so I didn't buy it.

yeah, saw this movie earlier in the week. it's pretty much what you would expect from a first-time production/low-budget combination.

i will say though that i was fairly impressed with luxia jiang. like everyone seems to have said already in this thread, the breakdancing scene did suck, but there were better scenes in the movie. particularly, the first action scene of her fighting the big guy in the kitchen was the most impressive in my opinion. it was a pretty athletic and acrobatic scene and her overall movement throughout just seemed natural as she weaved her way around. the later scenes started using too many cuts and some wirework, both of which made the action less convincing.

i do hope she does get more opportunities though. she seems to have potential. i'm glad that her and jeeja yanin are out there now though. it's about time we started seeing female martial arts stars showcasing skills on par with their male counterparts.

One Armed Boxer
i'm glad that her and jeeja yanin are out there now though. it's about time we started seeing female martial arts start showcasing skills on par with their male counterparts

Agreed....another female star to look out for is Rina Takeda, the star of the Japanese movie 'High Kick Girl'...I've attached the trailer below, and I also had the pleasure of meeting her in person when I watched it in Tokyo!

i've got the dvd (coweb) some days ago.. i will watch it soon so i can say my 2 cents :wink:

with english subs?

0MywZwP5wC0

no it's the zoke release (mainland) so no english subs, only chinese simplified.

anyway , watched the movies yesterday.. except some fights (the one in the kitchen ,which reminded me of the one in "The man from HK", and the final one) the other are awful.. because of the wires and because of the music too! The worst was the one with the breakdancers ... bleah

The actress didnt have any fault though.. it was all becuase of the director and the one who wrote the script .....

I finally got a chance to see this one, and man did I ever get a big kick out of it (no pun intended). After reading some not so favorable reviews I wasn't expecting much, but I was totally into it. Luxia Jiang is amazing. She reminded me of Yukari Oshima and that's DEFINITELY a very good thing. I thought the story was pretty interesting with some neat little twists, but really for a movie like this it's all about the fights and most of them were great I thought. The final fight between Luxia and Kane Kosugi is unbelieveable and unrelenting. Just when you think it's over there's another barrage of insane kicks and flying fists. Kane has always impressed me with his martial arts skills and this was definitely no exception. My jaw still drops when he does his incredible aerial splits kick. It's like watching Michael Jordon do his thing back in the day. Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and look forward to watching it again. :smile:

Finally got around to seeing this today, i understand why it got such poor reviews but i enjoyed it for what it was. The plot is totally non existent, the whole point of the movie is basically a showcase for Jiang Lu-xia's fighting skills. The fights are a bit of mixed bag, the end fight with Kane Kosugi and the fight in the kitchen are the two best and they are long too.

Archived