Coweb (aka Ninja Masters) (2008)

BLfan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the new film Kane Kosugi recently talked about on his official website. Thank God Xiong Xin-Xin is not wasting Kane!! From what I just saw on his page of the site, his fight against Luxia Jiang looks really good!!! Plus Sam Lee??? Count me in!!!

The trailer looks really good, I guess with the success of Chocolate they want more Female Action stars to play the lead now. But from the trailer it looked like the fights were slowed down I just hope that isn't the case, when we watch the movie.

BTW when is it suppose to be released it said 2008'?

It's the abysmal quality of the trailer, which is just a .swf file, not even .flv.

Xiong Xin Xin was already talking about making the film last year, so, it can't be due to Chocolate.

Plus, the plot is different from Chocolate I believe. It's about a female martial arts coach who finds herself duped when she takes on the best fighters and is being taped on the Internet for gamblers.

doug maverick
It's the abysmal quality of the trailer, which is just a .swf file, not even .flv.

Xiong Xin Xin was already talking about making the film last year, so, it can't be due to Chocolate.

well he talked about doing the film last year. but he didn't film it last year. i think chocolate did have something to do with him getting financing for the film.

Thanks, guys!

( I'm pretty sure it was scheduled for December. I just checked interview with the director and it also states that Coweb was going to be released at the end of 2008...)

I've just recently bought and watched the dvd release by zoke culture. It's in mandarin and unfortunately only has chinese subs. Even worse is the sound is clearly out of sync which is very noticable but I was so looking forward to seeing this I didn't care! There's 2 dvd releases so I don't know if the other release has this audio problem. This release has some extras which include the trailer, making of and music video. I don't speak mandarin so I tried to follow the story best I could!

Action wise it was good and bad in places. The fight in the kitchen with the huge western guy was maybe my fav fight in the movie. The lead actress Luxia Jiang looked very comfortable here weaving and dodging attacks around the kitchen and clearly can take falls. I noticed very few wires here.

The fight in the street with the 2 breakdancers was fun and had some nice moments with both dancers teaming up and combining dance and parkour moves in the fight.

The end finale with Kane Kosugi had some weird close up angles and use of wires in the beginning but once it got going was good. Kane really gets a chance to unleash his kicking skills here including his trademark aerial splits kick! I was surprised how long all these fights were which was nice!

Disappointed with the fight with the female fighter in the water and the fight in the warehouse when Jiang does that very impressive fall through the glass window. Too much use of wires here and badly edited together. The fight against the guards where Jiang uses a pair of nunchukus was very short and nothing special.

If I was to compare this with Chocolate action wise I think this beats it. Overall I enjoyed it and would buy it again when they release it in chinese with eng subs and hopefully in sync sound!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks for the info and opinions MLee!

Better action than CHOCOLATE you say? Geez I was already excited about seeing it, but now? Can't wait! :D

kung fu bob: You are welcome! I do really like Chocolate and I watched that afterwards just to compare both. I guess the main difference for me in Chocolate is it's very noticable when fighters exchange moves or make contact you can see them waiting for their opponent to finish before they continue fighting. I think I also noticed that in Tom Yum Goong and Power Kids.

Guest WuxiaFan
kung fu bob: You are welcome! I do really like Chocolate and I watched that afterwards just to compare both. I guess the main difference for me in Chocolate is it's very noticable when fighters exchange moves or make contact you can see them waiting for their opponent to finish before they continue fighting. I think I also noticed that in Tom Yum Goong and Power Kids.

I didn't notice that in either CHOCOLATE or TOM YUM GOONG. I thought the action in both of those films was exceptional. Maybe I'm not understanding you. In any event, thanks for you review. I've been eagerly awaiting an English subbed verison of COWEB (still can't get over that title) to be released.

Archived