Somthing the New School is deffinetly missing....

lillippa328

lillippa328

TRAINING! I cant think of a new school film where there is training! A lot of the old school films did it...and thats wat people loved about a lot of them...but what is a new school film with training?!?!!!

Im talking training sequences that last...like 36 Chambers or Mad Monkey Kung Fu or Drunken Master.....

now adays...the lead role alreadys knows kung fu and can fight good...

i think Drunken Monkey might be the last one...i cant remember how much training tho

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a martial arts movie, but I felt Batman Begins had much more space to showcase some training at the beginning of the movie. Instead it turned out to only be like a rough 30 second montage (if that).

lillippa328
Gorgeous with Jackie Chan had a training sequence, Wheels on Meals had one at the beginning as well.

Wheels on Meals didnt have training in it....that was a little routine excercise they did when they woke up or watever....

im talking about TRAINING...Mystery of Chessboxing,Challenge of the Masters,Snake in Eagles Shadow,Fist of the White Lotus, One Armed Swordsman, Prodigal Son...

has anyone seen ong bak 2 if so i would like to know if there is training in that?

yea theres training scenes. Only little ones.

Guest Markgway

Training sequences are largely boring to audiences which is why they're rarely included now. Whenever an old school movie has a training sequence (or twenty) I find myself itching for the remote.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I love old school workouts, if they are innovative and fun! I enjoy stuff like the 36 chambers, and cheesy montages like Bloodsport or NRNS! But I also enjoy working out in real life, so maybe that's why!

Maybe some people feel guilty, just watching people on TV work out, as they're scarfing down junk food and guzzling soda.....:)

I love old school workouts, if they are innovative and fun! I enjoy stuff like the 36 chambers, and cheesy montages like Bloodsport or NRNS! But I also enjoy working out in real life, so maybe that's why!

Maybe some people feel guilty, just watching people on TV work out, as they're scarfing down junk food and guzzling soda.....:)

i can safely say that i am comfortable scarfing down junk food and watching the training sequences 36th chamber is the best form what i have seen so far IMO

lillippa328
Training sequences are largely boring to audiences which is why they're rarely included now. Whenever an old school movie has a training sequence (or twenty) I find myself itching for the remote.

they are deffinetly not boring! Its up to the writers and directors to make them boring...thats like saying the whole 36 Chambers is boring...or Drunken Master, or Karate Kid, or any of them!

Its the innovation, the techniques involved...and then seeing the techniques played out when he fights the villians....seeing a kid sit there doing stuff which he and we are believed to be pointless untill the reason is explained later is great

Hopefully the "Ip Man" sequel will have some training scenes with the Bruce Lee character.

Hopefully it won't.

Whenever an old school movie has a training sequence (or twenty) I find myself itching for the remote.

Yeah, and not just that, but do you know those annoying fight scenes? They just drive me crazy too. I tell my relatives to tape the daytime soap operas over them. These movies would be much better off without either.

Guest Markgway

The difference with the training montages in say Bloodsport compared to the ones usually found in old school movies is that the former last about 3 mins and are well-edited to a catchy rock song or something... the old school ones often last anywhere between 10 mins and a half hour with dodgy music and dodgier editing. The fights themselves are mostly great but the build-ups are boring-as-hell. This is moreso the case with indie movies that are very thin on script and filmmaking skill. Something like The 36th Chamber is a different kettle of fish because Liu Chia-Liang is a skilled filmmaker. Even so it's still my least favourite part of the film.

There were some nifty training scenes in Arahan, I totally alone in my fondness for that movie, goofy as it was, it had some great fight scenes.

lillippa328
The difference with the training montages in say Bloodsport compared to the ones usually found in old school movies is that the former last about 3 mins and are well-edited to a catchy rock song or something... the old school ones often last anywhere between 10 mins and a half hour with dodgy music and dodgier editing. The fights themselves are mostly great but the build-ups are boring-as-hell. This is moreso the case with indie movies that are very thin on script and filmmaking skill. Something like The 36th Chamber is a different kettle of fish because Liu Chia-Liang is a skilled filmmaker. Even so it's still my least favourite part of the film.

WERE GONNA NEED A MONTOGE!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFX-TgcmGRM&feature=player_embedded

silver hermit

the tatana had a cool training/master and student sequence. not like the oldschool ones but training none the less.

Lau Kar Leung - master of the training scene. The man made great movies that revolved around training, can it ever be done better?

lillippa328

hopefully the new Beggar Su film will have some training n all

n we always got the new karate kid

butcher wing

now a days nobody trains anymore, I think a lot of those training scenes are to display distinct styles and how you train in them, but now nobody out of hk has those styles to display, I would love for the studios to put

a. distinct style (old school)

b. bring back the training.

c. more hand techniques (chi na)

that's what needs to come back. more Lau Kar Leung

wrewdedededewdedewdedwed

It's always distracting for me when i see the use of stuntmen in a fight, especially when i know the actors are actually good enough to perform their own stunts. I noticed many times that when a big name actor gets hit (plotwise), a stuntmen is used.

In Ip Man, Fan Siu Wong's stuntman was used whenever he was hit, so was Colin Chou in Flash Point. (Xing Yu got hit for real in both movies). And we are talking about actors who are martial artists in their own rights. Is it really that difficult to avoid stuntmen and injuries at the same time? Can't Donnie Yen simulate a hit and yet make it look really forceful and painful?

p.s These are only minor issues I have with both films (in terms of the fight scenes) which I thought was realistically gritty and well choreographed.

Archived