Attn. Korean buffs: Has anyone found at the KOFA...?

Guest Markgway

Yes, that's right. I saw this Korean version, but the running time (118min.) is short so I felt a quick tempo than an original HK or Chinese version. But it doesn't influence a story and the episode of 7 swordsmen are just cut a little.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Wow. That's 35 mins shorter than the HK theatrical cut (and reportedly Tsui Hark edited that down from 4 hrs). The HK version is overlong though. The UK version is 140m (somewhere between the two).

I saw the 153min version in Japan but it's very long for original 4 hours.

I heard that the appearance scene of Kim So-Yeon (She is only one Korean actress of this movie.) was added for the Korean version, so I expected Korean version as personal edit in Korea. But that didn't exist in the Korean version. Also I heard that a Korean voice artist will be dubbing in Korean for Donnie Yen but it was also different.

38867_0.59322000.jpg

download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzIzMDUxQGZzNi50aXN0b3J5LmNvbTovYXR0YWNoLzAvMDUwMDAwMDAwMDI1LmpwZw%3D%3D

Guest Markgway

Yeah, I noticed that Kim was the only Korean and the movie wasn't even shot there. But Boram Ent. must've put in some cash as they get a prominant presenter's credit. Kim's performance was one of the film's best I thought and I was impressed with Donnie Yen performing in two secondary languages (Korean, Mandarin) throughout. The trouble with distributors editing films (in reference to the 140 and 118m versions) is that they often cut the wrong stuff. For instance the UK version removed the scene where Lu Yi leaves his horse in the desert which I actually found rather moving.

Guest Markgway

Yongpal - Do you have any info on Jackie Chan's DRAGON LORD (1982)?

Not been found at the KOFA, but I believe it was partly filmed in Korea. Possible co-production?

Hwang In-Sik and Kwon Yeong-Moon are the only faces I recognise.

A lot of Taiwanese actors/stuntmen, so much of it must've been filmed there too.

Good question!

Korean actors who appeared in "Dragon Lord" were only Hwang In-Sik and Kwon Yong-Mun but the film was expected to shoot in Korea on the first plan. So I thought "Dragon Lord" might be a collaboration movie with Korea too. But Louis Sit as producer is saying that 80% shot in Taiwan, and 20% shot in Hong Kong. (An interview from "Dragon Lord" FS version)

Also Louis was saying that Jackie Chan shot only one day in Korea but it wasn't used so I believe there was absolutely film in depot of GH.

Guest Markgway

Ah, so I guess they relocated the exteriors from Korea to Taiwan at the last minute. I thought that they had shot the pyramid scene in Korea but evidently not? Hwang and Kwon were already well-known in HK so it's not surprising they went along with the rest of the cast. The interiors were mostly likely shot at Golden Harvest studios. Thanks for the info.

I noticed there's a guy in Last Fist Of Fury whom looks very much like an actor from Kim Jin Pal's Tiger; I wonder if I've spotted the same man?

Here's a little treat for you guys seeing as you made this one of the most informative Korean threads of all-time... ;)

best.jpg

Ralph Allen once suggested that there might be Korean magazines equivalent to HK's Cinemart, Hong Kong Movie News etc. Well, I managed to find out this:

magazines.jpg

Anyone come across simply "Screen" on eBay before?

Guest Markgway

Yongpal - what does that article on The Angry Guest say?

Also can you translate this text:

합작영화 기준(영화감독 1인 + 연기자 3명 이상)에 만족하여 한·홍 합작영화로 인정되었으나, 사실상은 합작 형태로 둔갑하여 들어온 수입영화 (정창화 감독 인터뷰, 제8회 부산국제영화제 자료집 p50)

Re. The Association. I know it's to do with its co-production status.

㈜화천공사

Korean prod co: Hwa Chun

Hi Markgway...

http://flyingpink.tistory.com/489

This article is introduction of story, and this article says some scenes were cut.

Korean poster used different Kanji title. Its meaning is "The Black Guest. And Kurata Yasuaki's name doesn't exist in a poster

합작영화 기준(영화감독 1인 + 연기자 3명 이상)에 만족하여 한·홍 합작영화로 인정되었으나, 사실상은 합작 형태로 둔갑하여 들어온 수입영화 (정창화 감독 인터뷰, 제8회 부산국제영화제 자료집 p50)

this is translation sentences.

"The Angry Guest" reached the standard of the co-production movie (it needed 1 Korean director, more than 3 Korean actors.), so this film was authorized as Korea and Hong Kong co-production movie.

But actuality was a import movie (a pure Hong Kong movie) which came into Korea as a co-production movie. (Jeong Jang-Hwa director interview. 8th Pusan international film festival sourcebook p50.)

Guest Markgway

합작영화 기준(영화감독 1인 + 연기자 3명 이상)에 만족하여 한국/홍콩 합작영화로 인정되었으나, 사실상은 합작 형태로 둔갑하여 들어온 수입영화 (정창화 감독 인터뷰, 제8회 부산국제영화제 자료집 p50)

I found the same note on the KOFA page for Valley of the Fangs.

Looks like that's another possible fake.

Although the Pusan Film Festival site lists the film as Korean...

http://www.piff.org/eng/html/archive/arc_history08_02.asp

So mixed messages.

Guest Markgway

Any idea what the Hong Kong/Korean titles are for this film: Schoolmistress starring LI Ching?

http://www.piff.org/eng/html/archive/arc_history09_02.asp

Also I found this note on the KOFA page for Kings of Blade and Sword:

"<용문의 여검>에 뒤이은 한중 합작의 획기적 대작" (한국일보, 19690513(4)광고)이라는 광고문안이 말해주듯이 <용문의 여검>의 성공을 반복하겠다는 기획의도로 만들어진 합작영화이다. 이 영화 또한 흥행에 성공을 거두었다. 동아극장은 <용문의 여검>의 성공 이후 합작에 의한 검술영화를 많이 상영했다.

Ah, so 'The Association' is a fake co-production according to that text.

(It's not 'The Angry Guest', btw, you made an error, although I'm dubious about the status of that film also)

Oh I'm sorry ...I made a mistake.

Any idea what the Hong Kong/Korean titles are for this film: Schoolmistress starring LI Ching?

I can't indicate link page, but I think it may be this Li Ching's movie....

http://www.kmdb.or.kr/movie/md_basic.asp?nation=K&p_dataid=02531

1972q.jpg

Also I found this note on the KOFA page for Kings of Blade and Sword:

"<용문의 여검>에 뒤이은 한중 합작의 획기적 대작" (한국일보, 19690513(4)광고)이라는 광고문안이 말해주듯이 <용문의 여검>의 성공을 반복하겠다는 기획의도로 만들어진 합작영화이다. 이 영화 또한 흥행에 성공을 거두었다. 동아극장은 <용문의 여검>의 성공 이후 합작에 의한 검술영화를 많이 상영했다.

Translation...

The remarkable masterpiece of Korea Hong Kong co-production movie which continued behind "Sword of Dragon Gate". (The Korea Times, May 13th in 1969 (4) advertisement). Korea and the Hong Kong co-production movie which were made with the plan intention to repeat success of "Sword of Dragon Gate". This movie also made a performance succeed. After "Sword of Dragon Gate" succeeded, Dong-A theater showed many Korea Hong Kong co-production movies.

ThunderScore

Hey Yongpal,

I checked out your YouTube clip from the Korean NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN - that was very interesting - Would you happen to know why the Japanese actors and Wong Cheng Li were not in this version? Is this version available anywhere?

Thanks!

Hi ThunderScore...I don't know the truth too.

Import of foreign films were restricted in Korean law at that time, so it may be one camouflaged as "domestic movie". I think many appearance scenes of Korean actors were inserted (and it was dubbed in Korean) and maybe camouflaged.

It's very difficult to look for this Korean version. I'm sorry....I have this version but I can't trade it.

Thanks

Guest Markgway
The remarkable masterpiece of Korea Hong Kong co-production movie which continued behind "Sword of Dragon Gate". (The Korea Times, May 13th in 1969 (4) advertisement). Korea and the Hong Kong co-production movie which were made with the plan intention to repeat success of "Sword of Dragon Gate". This movie also made a performance succeed. After "Sword of Dragon Gate" succeeded, Dong-A theater showed many Korea Hong Kong co-production movies.

Thanks.

That confirms Kings of Blade and Sword as a co-production.

Also this film http://www.kmdb.or.kr/movie/md_basic.asp?nation=K&p_dataid=01831

Poster:

http://movie.daum.net/moviedetail/moviedetailPhotoView.do?movieId=50484&photoId=446919

Do you know what the Chinese title is?

EDIT: Could it be this film?

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10306&display_set=eng

Title is a close match and the dir and cast are virtually the same as Kings of Blade and Sword... What do you think? Could we have found another rare co-production??

Archived